Wire Wheel Hubcap Cleaning tips & tricks

Annie G

Hi all!  My new (to me) 1995 Chevy Caprice Classic wagon has beautiful (insert sarcasm here) wire wheel hubcaps and while I loathe them, I of course have to keep them on the car as there wasn't another wheel option for this year...  But, to keep them on, I want them to look as good as possible... what do you use on your hubcaps to get them and keep them clean?  I bought a long handled soft brush that is bendable, but I need a good cleaning substance, something that sprays in and does a decent job of getting rid of the road grime and break dust.  

IMG_20190518_095155 sm.jpg

54 minutes ago, AnniesSS said:

Hi all!  My new (to me) 1995 Chevy Caprice Classic wagon has beautiful (insert sarcasm here) wire wheel hubcaps and while I loathe them, I of course have to keep them on the car as there wasn't another wheel option for this year...  But, to keep them on, I want them to look as good as possible... what do you use on your hubcaps to get them and keep them clean?  I bought a long handled soft brush that is bendable, but I need a good cleaning substance, something that sprays in and does a decent job of getting rid of the road grime and break dust.  

IMG_20190518_095155 sm.jpg

These wheels were a option for 1995

Image result for 1995 caprice classic imageImage result for 1995 caprice classic wagon imageImage result for 1995 caprice classic wagon image

32 minutes ago, JustDave said:

When no one is looking put them in the dishwasher,run them thru twice but only to at a time,don’t get caught,   Dave

I agree 100 percent. I owned a 1966 Mustang with wire wheel covers. I would do the dishwasher cleaning once a year. DO NOT activate the heat on the dishwasher......you will melt the emblems. When the cycle is complete, I took them to the garage and air dried them with my compressor. You can then towel dry any small remaining drops. This process worked good for me.

Good luck.

Kevin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin1221 said:

I agree 100 percent. I owned a 1966 Mustang with wire wheel covers. I would do the dishwasher cleaning once a year. DO NOT activate the heat on the dishwasher......you will melt the emblems. When the cycle is complete, I took them to the garage and air dried them with my compressor. You can then towel dry any small remaining drops. This process worked good for me.

Good luck.

Kevin

My sister did that as well on her new 1964 Cutlass. She used Cascade which didn't leave water spots. One day when my mom and dad and I were over to my sister and brother in laws house my dad saw what was going on and said. I hope you know what you are doing exposing you, your husband and two kids to brake dust material. At the time brake lining was full of asbestos fibers. After finishing there was residue in the bottom of the machine, Don't know if any of that ended up on the next batch of dinnerware to go through the machine. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good news is you can probably eat asbestos. Just don't breathe it!😁 It irritates lung lining, never heard of it affecting any other art of the body.

Dishwasher works great. Put an old one in the garage!👍

Have you checked out other wheel cover options? I've seen lots more than just those wire wheel covers. My 94 Caprice came with the smooth ones with the large black emblem (interchange # 3168), traded them off for others I liked better (interchange #3213) .

chevrolet-caprice-hubcaps-3168a-big.jpg

chevrolet-classic-hubcaps-3213b.jpg

• Like 1

Yes,  it does look best, but the plastic/metal cover in the bottom photo has held up well with limited washing for almost 200 K miles I have put on my wagon! Driven in salt/snow also as a daily driver.  Bought it with 65k , now at 263k . 😃

Love those LT1 engines!!!!!!

Annie, you should love this car, only the water pump leaking and manifold bolts breaking are known weird issues.Is yours the towing package, or the "go fast" package? Towing package has mechanical fan, go fast is two electric fans, just like the police version. Mine is the go fast version. And it does....... 😁 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yes,  it does look best, but the plastic/metal cover in the bottom photo has held up well with limited washing for almost 200 K miles I have put on my wagon! Driven in salt/snow also as a daily driver.  Bought it with 65k , now at 263k . 😃

Annie, you should love this car, only the water pump leaking and manifold bolts breaking are known weird issues.Is yours the towing package, or the "go fast" package? Towing package has mechanical fan, go fast is two electric fans, just like the police version. Mine is the go fast version. And it does....... 😁 

I know for sure the Oldsmobile and Pontiac wire wheel covers plastic inset are reproduced. Chevrolet is more popular and there are more outfits reproducing chevy parts, I'll bet someone's making them. 

On 9/27/2019 at 12:00 AM, Frank DuVal said:

I do love this car!  It's my daily and will be in HPOF next year.  I have the towing package, but she still boogies along nicely!!! :) I've said to my husband more then once, I'm so glad I got this car!!!!

On 9/26/2019 at 11:35 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Good news is you can probably eat asbestos. Just don't breathe it!😁 It irritates lung lining, never heard of it affecting any other art of the body.

Dishwasher works great. Put an old one in the garage!👍

Have you checked out other wheel cover options? I've seen lots more than just those wire wheel covers. My 94 Caprice came with the smooth ones with the large black emblem (interchange # 3168), traded them off for others I liked better (interchange #3213) .

chevrolet-caprice-hubcaps-3168a-big.jpg

chevrolet-classic-hubcaps-3213b.jpg

I would rather one of these two options, however, from what I've seen so far, it wasn't a factory option :(

Where have you done research?

Here it says there is a Deluxe wheel cover option and the optional wire wheel cover. Yes, aluminum wheels are not optional on the wagon.

https://media.gm.com/dam/Media/documents/CA/Archives/EN/Vehicles/chevrolet/1995Caprice.html

So if Deluxe and wire are options, then there is a "standard" wheel cover also.

Again, where did you find documentation that these other covers were not 1995?

I went to   Flow Chevrolet's webpage: 

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/1995/chevrolet/caprice/classic-trim/5-7l-v8-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/wheels-scat

And they show the 10194310 as the standard wheel cover for  1995 Caprice.

That is the wheel cover in my bottom picture.

Flow Chevy is almost local to you, over in Winston Salem.Good internet pricing on GM parts.  No, these wheel covers have be discontinued.

Sorry.. going by what I was told. I always thought it was odd but honestly I've been buried lately with things to do and haven't actually researched myself.   I also don't want to be dinged when I can enter her in HPOF lol. But I'm thrilled there's options. Thank you!!!

15 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Try your spoke brush and Simple Green, then pressure was them as a rinse.

I've got a soft brush of sorts that worked ok but it's been 14 years since she's had a bath so I guess more elbow grease is needed too lol