Attire for Awards Banquet

chistech

Coat and tie used to be the norm, and still is for many, but some are more casual, and others are much more relaxed. Mom used to tell me that if you felt overdressed, you could always remove your tie, and even your jacket (trousers still required).

Wear what makes you comfortable.

Remember that our staff, or your friend will probably be taking a picture of you and your spouse receiving your trophy, possibly for our national ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE publication, and to post in your local newsletter.

• Like 1

I agree--dress well. Those guys who walk in wearing their oily overalls or surfer shorts and flip-flops just embarrass themselves, the organization, and everyone around them. There's being too cool for the rules and then there's being disrespectful and stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Coat and tie used to be the norm, and still is for many, but some are more casual, and others are much more relaxed. Mom used to tell me that if you felt overdressed, you could always remove your tie, and even your jacket (trousers still required).

Wear what makes you comfortable.

Remember that our staff, or your friend will probably be taking a picture of you and your spouse receiving your trophy, possibly for our national ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE publication, and to post in your local newsletter.

I started to give this a thumbs up, but decided I couldn't leave without saying I like it the way it used to be, coat and tie, not only for a banquet, but for church, funerals and all other such occasions.  We've all become too "relaxed".  Had to say that, just couldn't help  myself.  Also noticed how badly I screwed this comment up in typing it this morning, so I had to fix it.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I figured at least business casual but wanted to simply ask in the case it was definitely a coat and tie event. Hope I get an award, actually hope I’m there as we’re having some paint issues on the hood and it needs a repaint on Sunday. Very frustrating as we’re getting too close for comfort!

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

... I like it the way it used to be, coat and tie, not only for a church banquet, but for church, funerals and all other such occasions.  We've all become too "relaxed." 

I agree.  Dressing up is a sign of respect in many instances.

And if our cars are so immaculate, colorful, and polished,

we should be too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Why not set up a dress code for future events?

Some good restaurants still have them, and many

more used to.  And that would include skirts or

dresses for the ladies.

One good restaurant in New York politely refused to

seat me for LUNCH because I was on the street on a

week-end with dressy casual clothes, but I was

wearing sneakers.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John, it is not enforceable.  People will do what they want in spite of any code.  We have a code for the semi-formal/black tie optional event in Philadelphia but  people have even attended in jeans.  Different world these days and we do not want to fight with our members.  What would AACA do if someone showed up not correctly attired?  Not let them in?  That is something we would never do.  We have pictures of past banquets and every male is in a  coat and tie.  Look at old baseball games and that is the attire most men were in.  I remember when getting on a plane you wanted to "dress up"?  Like I said, a whole new world  that would  probably appall our parents. 

In the end, we appreciate people attending our banquets and respect their wishes for attire.