Sign in to follow this  
chistech

Attire for Awards Banquet

Again, I’m new to this. What is the dress code for the awards banquet?

You will see everything from coats and ties to bib overalls but I would best describe it as "dressy casual".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coat and tie used to be the norm, and still is for many, but some are more casual, and others are much more relaxed. Mom used to tell me that if you felt overdressed, you could always remove your tie, and even your jacket (trousers still required).

Wear what makes you comfortable.

Remember that our staff, or your friend will probably be taking a picture of you and your spouse receiving your trophy, possibly for our national ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE publication, and to post in your local newsletter.

• Like 1

I agree--dress well. Those guys who walk in wearing their oily overalls or surfer shorts and flip-flops just embarrass themselves, the organization, and everyone around them. There's being too cool for the rules and then there's being disrespectful and stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Coat and tie used to be the norm, and still is for many, but some are more casual, and others are much more relaxed. Mom used to tell me that if you felt overdressed, you could always remove your tie, and even your jacket (trousers still required).

Wear what makes you comfortable.

Remember that our staff, or your friend will probably be taking a picture of you and your spouse receiving your trophy, possibly for our national ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE publication, and to post in your local newsletter.

I started to give this a thumbs up, but decided I couldn't leave without saying I like it the way it used to be, coat and tie, not only for a banquet, but for church, funerals and all other such occasions.  We've all become too "relaxed".  Had to say that, just couldn't help  myself.  Also noticed how badly I screwed this comment up in typing it this morning, so I had to fix it.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree Dynaflash. Recently attended a funeral.  Maybe 1/4 of the males there were wearing jeans.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I figured at least business casual but wanted to simply ask in the case it was definitely a coat and tie event. Hope I get an award, actually hope I’m there as we’re having some paint issues on the hood and it needs a repaint on Sunday. Very frustrating as we’re getting too close for comfort!

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

... I like it the way it used to be, coat and tie, not only for a church banquet, but for church, funerals and all other such occasions.  We've all become too "relaxed." 

I agree.  Dressing up is a sign of respect in many instances.

And if our cars are so immaculate, colorful, and polished,

we should be too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2