Pat C

Patrick C

We`ll need more information on what`s been done and which engine you are referring to. `52 Buicks had more than one size engine, inline 263 or 320?  Was the cam and crank timed right on assembly? Give some info about what it does when you try to start, kicking back or backfiring thru the carb? or nothing?  Got spark, gas in the carb? Did you or someone else assemble the engine?

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

I did not rebuild the engine. Engine was totally rebuilt. Same cam, crank was taken out and polished. New pistons, rings.main bearings.rod bearings, valves seats and guides. All cylinders have 120 compression except for #1. It has only 30 . But even though it still should fire, right? It does nothing no pop at all. Has spark and gas.

If it definitely has gas and spark, I'd start making sure timing is right and not 180 degrees off and making sure the plug wires are connected in the correct order. However, before you spend too much energy and time getting it running, I'd want to know why that one cylinder is so low on a freshly rebuilt engine. Pull the valve cover and make sure valve clearance is correct and a valve isn't hanging open. Getting a hurt engine to run isn't an achievement, it just means you'll have to do all this again a second time after you find what's wrong and put it back together again.

Fix the big problem before you fix the little problem.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Do as Matt said, pull the valve cover check #1 for a broken spring. Some thing is not right for compression being so low. Pull all the plugs, spin the engine and watch rocker arm movement, especially #1 for possible flat cam lobe. Then bring to TDC #1 compression stroke and check distributor rotor position, does it match to correct plug wire to #1, then check firing order in counter-clockwise direction. That`s the first things I would check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just take the head off. It's real easy taking the head off a 320. 

1. Go to the gym, start working on curls with free weights until you can do 150 pounds.

2. Work your way up to 250 on the clean and jerk, those muscles will be needed

3. Eat lots of high protein shakes for a few months

4. Then start working on your straight arm lifts. Once you get up to 150 or 200 pounds on those, you should be able to remove the head on a Buick 320

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

1. put key in switch.

2. Put selector in "Park".

3. Turn key clockwise, all the way.

4.  Step on tall skinny pedal on the right.

5 Hear VROOOM VROOM

It has been almost 55 years since I last drove a '52 but if memory serves me correctly there are three positions on the ignition switch counter-clockwise is Lock, 12 o'clock is On and all the way clockwise is Off (and you do not need a key to turn to on from Off).

Patrick, I am assuming you have not been able to start the car at all since your rebuild. How long has it been since it was running? If a long time check your manual and try polarizing your generator as if it is not correctly polarized your points can be damaged and then follow Matt's suggestions to determine why you have such a low compression reading on #1. If it were me I'd use a shot of starting fluid for my initial start up when you are ready to try again as it will fire much easier than with gas. Good luck.

9 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

Just take the head off. It's real easy taking the head off a 320. 

1. Go to the gym, start working on curls with free weights until you can do 150 pounds.

2. Work your way up to 250 on the clean and jerk, those muscles will be needed

3. Eat lots of high protein shakes for a few months

4. Then start working on your straight arm lifts. Once you get up to 150 or 200 pounds on those, you should be able to remove the head on a Buick 320

It’s not even a 320. If you read the post it’s a straight 8   263 cu. in.

3 hours ago, Patrick C said:

A 320 is also a straight 8. All 1952 Buicks were straight-8s but in your initial post you didn't indicate which one you had, which can make a difference since the 263 and 320 are similar but not identical. As I mentioned, the question you ask determines the answers you get. Your initial post was pretty much "How do I make my car run?" That's not much to go on, but now we're starting to make progress as we get more information. There's a HUGE amount of knowledge here, but the only way to get it is to be a part of the community and treat us as friends rather than a Wikipedia to feed you answers.

And a little levity never hurts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Matt knows whereof he posts-

lots of background, experience, and knowledge here, as well as the desire to help.

The more info you share, the more helpful we can be,

and yes, there is a fair bit of "joshing" and "cutsie" response which helps to keep it fun but yet civil.

Welcome, Patrick C, to our FORUM, and we hope to help you get the '52 up and dependable.

Please keep us appraised of your progress

The title of the topic should NOT be you'r name.  I should  be something to at least hint about what you want to know.  Many people here only read about a question they are particularly interested in.  I happen to real all the unread posts so learn lots of things and am able to help many "autoists".

11 hours ago, Patrick C said:

You are absolutely correct and I stand corrected. For the 263, you only need 100 pound straight arm lifts, 100 pound curls, and 150 pounds on the clean and jerk. What was I thinking?

• Haha 1

Someone else more familiar with the smaller series will have to chime in, BUT the timing chain and crank to cam alignment is different on a 320 Buick engine than Chevy inline 6’s. Check and make sure it is not blowing air out the carb when you crank the engine.  

Do you have a shop manual in your possession?

Where are you located?  Someone may live close enough that they could drop by and gave a look.

I would have to agree on checking that #1 cylinder and see why the compression is low.

Welcome to our forum!  Please, don’t get frustrated.  We will help you figure this out. It just may take some time.

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70
6’s and 8’s. Typo (see edit history)

15 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Someone else more familiar with the smaller series will have to chime in, BUT the timing chain and crank to cam alignment is different on a 320 Buick engine than Chevy inline 8’s. Check and make sure it is not blowing air out the carb when you crank the engine.  

Do you have a shop manual in your possession?

Where are you located?  Someone may live close enough that they could drop by and gave a look.

I would have to agree on checking that #1 cylinder and see why the compression is low.

Welcome to our forum!  Please, don’t get frustrated.  We will help you figure this out. It just may take some time.

Matt

Matt,

Your experience and valuable responses on our FORUM tells me that the above error is simply a typo-

Chevy built straight 6-cylinder engines (not an "8").

The balance of your response is well-stated

• Thanks 1