DELAWARE REAL ESTATE / CAR CLUBS

STEVE POLLARD

I asked this question about four years ago about the Wilmington, North Carolina area,  since we were going through some "down sizing" at work and possibly looking at relocating.  Matthew Hinson was kind enough to give me a lot of information on the region, but as it turns out,  I was not affected by the down sizing.  Now with retirement on the horizon within the next year or so, the wife's interest has shifted towards Delaware. One year while vacationing in Southern New Jersey, we did take the Cape May Ferry over to Lewes,De..seem to be a very nice area !  Most of my friends have already left NY and the ones that are still here are already talking about leaving ( I don't want to go into the taxes that we pay here, I just won't be able to retire here ! )

So I'm basically looking for information from any member that lives in Delaware... kinda looking towards a rural setting... doesn't have to be the Lewes area.... also would like to know about any active car clubs in the area as well.

Thanks !!

• Like 1

Centerville, Delaware, in New Castle County,

the northernmost part of the state, is especially beautiful.

I can't tell you much about it other than our AACA region

toured there when visiting a friend there.  There is a lot

of preserved land around there, estates large and small,

and the little town center is so picturesque that you would

want to stop by just as a tourist.  The famous Winterthur

Museum is there also, and the beautiful Longwood Gardens

are a few miles away across the Pennsylvania border.

Naturally, there are smaller parcels too, and the city of

Wilmington is within commuting distance.

00510.png

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Was born in Delaware and lived there up until I was 18 years old.   The two lower counties Kent and Sussex are very rural and have an number or nice areas to live. I was born in Wilmington, but moved to lower Delaware in my teens. Graduated High School in Lewes. Went back last year to the area for family business and you probably want to stay away from the Lewes and Rehobeth area as it's become very touristy and crowded with traffic, especially in the Summer months.  Very nice area and lots of good eating places but busy. If you head West from Lewes towards Seaford and Georgetown you get into the farmland area. Less traffic and nice areas to live. Even west of Lewes has some real nice rural land. In Kent county west of the Capital Dover again has some very nice areas.  If you plant yourself in these areas then it's a short drive to the bigger populated area of Dover, Lewes or Rehobeth. 

• Like 2

Quite surprised we've not seen more input from our DE members.  I know a few living in the Harrington vicinity and I'll prod them to give you some input, but I know they are not forum regulars.  Our local MG club is planning a trip up to New Castle later this year, and I've traveled through there a lot on Rt 13 and 1 while on my way up to Philly and to do some antique hunting.  There is no sales tax there but they make up the difference with speed-traps.  There are some pretty towns along the way, and of course a lot of history.   It's already been recommended that you avoid the touristy areas if possible. 

Terry

• Like 1

Delaware is a small state, but there are a lot of different parts. You might think of it as three different places:  1) northern Delaware, and the Wilmington area, which is sort of part of the Philadelphia/NJ greater area; 2) southern Delaware, which is quite rural; and 3) the beach areas, like Rehoboth and Lewes, which draw folks from lots of city areas including Wilmington, DC, and New Jersey.    I don't know the general car club scene in Delaware, but I have been to events and tours for particular marques that happen to be in the Wilmington area.  If you're in nothern Delaware, the annual Hagley Museum car show is excellent. 

• Like 1

If you dont stay in the rural areas, it can be quite difficult to buy a lot bigger then 1/2 acre. I looked over 20 years ago and the only thing that kept us out were the terrible school systems. Private school is the only way to go with kids.

Otherwise, the bottom half of the state was most affordable and open, with exception to the beaches.

the tax breaks are great, but many of the areas only offer modular type housing. We loved the Brandywine region- but alas, they were million dollar homes then.

• Like 1

there is still plenty of rural property in slower, lower, delaware. however, it is NOT near the beach areas of Lewes or Rehoboth beach. this area has been way overdeveloped and traffic there can be a nightmare. unlike other beach areas, there are a lot of people who live there year round. i live in a small town about a half hour from the beach and here it is still very laid back. the locals here never venture near the beach areas from may thru september. but a little due diligence will let you find a nice place for retirement living, and tax free shopping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 8:54 PM, STEVE POLLARD said:

...also would like to know about any active car clubs in the area as well.

The only AACA region in Delaware is in northern 

Delaware--the Brandywine Region:

http://braaca.org/

I know a couple people in that area, and I infer that their

region is active.  This is the same area as the town of

Centerville that I mentioned earlier.  One older friend there

has owned the same car now for 84 years, probably an

unacknowledged world record.  He got it new in late 1935! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The only AACA region in Delaware is in northern 

Delaware--the Brandywine Region:

http://braaca.org/

I know a couple people in that area, and I infer that their

region is active.  This is the same area as the town of

Centerville that I mentioned earlier.  One older friend there

has owned the same car now for 84 years, probably an

unacknowledged world record.  He got it new in late 1935! 

google car clubs delmarva for southern delaware car clubs. there were about 5 different shows on labor day weekend