70's Domestic Identification, What Year is this?

alexrobertson

I agree. There are no obvious post-72 cars in that photo that I can make out. The giveaway would be the 5 MPH buggy bumpers. Unfortunately the watermarks make it tough to actually zoom in on the cars.

58 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

Newest car I see is a 1972 Electra 

I agree.

That means, the photograph could have been taken

before OR after your date of July 1972.  It could have

been taken, for instance, in 1973, 1974, or 1975, or sometime

after the 1972 cars were introduced in autumn 1971.

I found this out when researching some old family photos: You can sometimes also use utility poles and street lighting systems to date photos. It generally will only get you to the era, but if there's a '72 model car in a photo along with street lights that were changed out by '74, then you have a narrow window of time. Finding other photos (that have specific dates assigned to them) of oceanfront Miami would be a good place to start.

Thanks everyone! I knew you'd all know. This was a big help. I'm gonna use it and it will be part of art seen by millions. 

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

I found this out when researching some old family photos: You can sometimes also use utility poles and street lighting systems to date photos. It generally will only get you to the era, but if there's a '72 model car in a photo along with street lights that were changed out by '74, then you have a narrow window of time. Finding other photos (that have specific dates assigned to them) of oceanfront Miami would be a good place to start.

^ Good tip! I'll use this in the future. 

29 minutes ago, padgett said:

If the STOCK was not covering the license plate I could tell, Florida in early '70s had a different color plate every year. (was before stickers).

The rear plate on the light blue Ford at right is white background with red letters. But I cannot tell if it is a Florida tag at all. 

4 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I think I see a 73 Chevy wagon but still could have been taken in 72.

the wagon could be a 71 or 2 as well, there is not enough detail to tell that it would be a 73, there are at least 4  71/72 era cars in the photo including the wagon