1940 Ford Coupe Older restoration that still looks good with fresh mechanicals

Today's trade offering.  Suppose to be all original but the interior is tired because the leather is failing.  It's also going to need a top, It is turn key though. Suppose to be rust free with original paint still on the floors. 

I'm giving it some thought. I know these cars have little following though as I will probably have to sell it down the road to finish my garage or fund the next project. 

Some reasonable trades though overall. 

thumbnail-8.jpeg

thumbnail-9.jpeg

I was thinking the pickup was the best offer yet.  Would love to get some cash but the guy with the pickup wants an even up trade.  Trucks are real hot,  but I'm not sure if the 60-66's kind of got skipped over in the equation.  I don't see many breaking 30G for sale. 

It is very nice and the color looks good on it,  but is that color going to be a turn off when I go to sell it?  Of course he still hasn't seen my Ford so he may not even be interested ,  who knows. 

On the Merc.  the interior is going to be a killer. That has to be atleast 10 grand to redo it in leather. 

Why can't anyone have like a mostly original 30's preferably coupe (for value sake) in decent original shape but not "restored" and say 10g or so in cash?   Of course a ragtop would be more than welcome but that would negate any cash back on the deal. 

Of course anything prewar and even some immediate post wars would work as well.  15G and a wayfarer Roadster would be perfect.  

I also had a 64 falcon sprint conv't v8 with 4 speed and buckets offered,  but it has traction bars and cragar wheels along with every race decal plastered to the inner fenders so that's probably a no.  I really like stuff stock and that car if it was all stock would be more interesting to me.  But at straight up.  It's too much. 

I couldn't get the picture to post here. 

I knew I had seen the truck listed somewhere.  Seems they want 22G for it,  so that would be a real down trade.  Especially if it's not selling at the 22G it's listed at.   That seems like a bargain if you were buying one.  Seems you were real close to the mark Steve.

That and 5g for my car would put it at around 27,000 a tad low from what I wanted but not painful,  if I liked the truck. 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/bar/d/lyons-1965-chevy-c10/6932449929.html

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Nice truck, but I wouldnt put it close to your car. Usually in a trade, people will offer you less then what you have- why I have never been able to trade.

That truck is worth 20k to me and that's it. Very nice but your 40 is nicer. I would wait it out and maybe your car will sell instead of making the trade.

Steve is right on the soft mkt of the TD and Falcons, never brought any real money either...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The truck is probably a little nicer,  especially underneath as it has better finishing work underneath than my ford, but seems the Ford is even more desirable  by the amount of interest and atleast reasonable seeming trades being still a little low on the value wise,  but not ridiculous like many I have been offered on other cars in the past. 

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I would also agree that those GM trucks of the early 60s, while nice, lag some of the earlier and later series.  I like the color for sure, fwiw.  I might keep fishing...

Nothing has quite hit the button yet.  The vette was the strongest leader but the other party is on hold , for unexpected unrelated car stuff,  so I'm not holding out for that one.  I did get and offer of a two for one trade deal,  a suppose to be pretty nice 59 Tbird and an equally nice 39 Dodge pickup.   Worth considering.  I'm still waiting on photos. 

Well I got pictures on the 59 Tbird and the 39 dodge.  Seems we are going to come up pretty short on value so I'll keep looking.  One cash buyer is coming by this weekend to look at it.  Since none of the trades really do much for or come up even cash will probably be the best way to go.  I know it always has been,  I just figured it might give a guy a chance to trade up with some cash or sideways if he had something pretty nice that I liked.  

The 53 Merc has also been repainted so it's not really much of a survivor now as the original stuff needs to be replaced because it's shot,  mainly the interior.  If it had ben original paint still on the car,  I might have given it a bit more consideration. 

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-10.jpeg

• Like 1

I actually had some local word of mouth interest.  Since 1940 Fords seem to be on alot of guys lists,  there is a fair amount of interest in it.   

The local guy stopped up yesterday when I wasn't here but my wife showed him the car.  He said it was nice but he really didn't have any more room for another car.  He has a couple vintage trucks a 57 chevy hardtop some harleys,  etc.  Did a quick walk around and left.  He stopped back up this morning and said he liked it but really didn't have room for another car unless he got rid of something.  Then he mentioned a 48 F1 Pickup He's had for 40 years and isn't doing  anything with that's rust free and he had repainted a long time ago but he said it's in pretty nice shape but will need tires and stuff. So we'll wee where it goes from there.  He's right in town so a trade is very possible if the numbers come out right.  

I like old trucks so there is a possibility.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Dodge truck is very nice

The rusted windshield frame and dent missing paint and rust on the front fender didn't excite me.  Almost looks like the floors might eb homemade from the interior photo I saw which is largely unfinished other than the standard black seat.  No other interior panels.  

Yes I know the outside is patina,  but patina ends where rot starts. 

The Guy with the MG got back to me but will only pony up 4G with it so that's not going to work.

Had an interesting prewar trade offered,  but again he wants an even trade. 

1933 Chevy Coupe.  Said his appraises at 25G. asked me what mine appraised for and I told him well to buy one like mine is going to take 30G no matter where you buy it so that's what I'm asking.  I think 25G would be hard to get for his.  I don't mind the colors but I could see that being a huge turn off as a selling point. 

The guy with the 65 Chevy truck keeps bugging me but hasn't offered any additional funds. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I might even pony up a couple of bucks with the 40 for that one. I do have that whopping $2000 windfall to work with. ;) 

You know I generally really like Whitewalls on my Auburns,  but I might even leave it in blackwalls so that would save me a few bucks on the other end. 

I had two guys look at the car.  Both liked it.  The one took it for a drive with me as a passenger and like the way it drove,  said it drove alot better than the 3 others that he drove in the last week.  He's still hemming and hawing.  The other needs to ship it to Florida and won't be back for a couple of weeks,  so he's still thinking as well.

I'm still hoping the guy with the 48 F1 comes back.  I want to look at that truck and see what numbers we could work.  I would consider the 33 chevy but I would want atleast $7500 with it.  I saw alot of little things that needed work with just a quick walk around not very detailed youtube video of it. 

I saw the other one you mentioned.  That was kind of what I was comparing it's value with.(  That black one looked like a nicer car than this)  As I'm sure anyone does with my Ford.  They look at what's for sale and then value it (especially on the barter sections I have it listed) based on what they see others listed for. In most cases they are either over valuing theirs or undervaluing mine for a straight trade. 

Isn't that black one listed on the forums here as well?  I thought one of the ones I saw was listed at 22G asking,  which is what I was using as a base line for the green one.

I just figured it's easier for someone to part with a little cash and a car than to part with such a big wad of cash all at once.  Seems everyone but me is out of space as well,  so this would give them the opportunity to open up a space to put the 40 in.   You are right though cash is always best. 

Never heard a word.  I always try to respond to serious guys about trades,  which reminds me i have one to still get back to.  Problem is I get so many emails with my business that if I don't do it right away,  It could get lost,  maybe that's the case with him,  but I would think with any reasonable trade offered the seller could atleast politely tell you to take a hike.   The odd part is he seemed like a dealer that maybe just fell into the car.  As a dealer that usually means you want to make money so why not explore a deal that could make you more money?  

Oh well.  Now to get back to that trade I forgot to respond to. 

A small update.  I have taken this into more of the selling process of my Ford as I really don't expect anyone to buy it from here but some may be interested in trades and how the sale progresses.  

The local fellow stopped back and took me up to look at his 48 Ford F1.  It's been sitting for quite a while,  4 flats,  one blown out,  in a garage with a bunch of dust on it but very shiny paint underneath.  A beautiful original floor and very nice cab.  A really nice original bed with NOS tail gate all painted in a probably correct shade of orangey red.  The interior is  Good,  with the seat being freshly reupholstered.  Original cardboard headliner in good shape. Cream wheels and grille.  I would be interested in trading for sure.  It's not running and hasn't been in atleast 5 years,  probably closer to 10 Brakes were all redone a while ago in silicone so they should be servicable.

We'll have to see what number he comes back with.  On my 30G asking price,  I would give him 10G trade.  I think that's pretty fair.  My car is all new chrome interior turn key on the road.  This is a garage find needing full servicing and I'm sure extra things I'm not thinking.   He's had it 40 years and is never going to finish it off but told me he doesn't have an attachment to it so he would have no problem letting it go. 

• Like 2

Well eventually It's going to be in the garage,  but that will be down the road probably another year before I need that money as what I need to do now requires more labor than money. 

I just got Video on one of the trades I had offered,  Unfortunately a tad too late but it would have been a pretty good contender.  A mostly stock 34 Ford 5 window coupe .  All steel,  running and driving with no rust. 

I did notice a for sale sign on the package shelf though so I might just see what they would take cash for it. 

• Like 1