Opinions on 86 Town and Country turbo converts?

Ours was cute, and "looked" like a Woodie,

but was somewhat of a disappointment-

maybe a "K" car but just "Gussied-Up"

Reliable compared to what? That was a period in time when reliability was something people reminisced about, wishing they still had whatever they traded in.

If you are going to buy something from that period, you could do a lot worse than a Turbo Chrysler. The 2.2/2.5 engine is bulletproof, and the Turbos were hands down the best of the Chrysler front wheel drives. I don't know where they rot. That isn't a common issue where I live.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 things to look out for re the engine, one is blown head gaskets (they were prone to that, even the unblown ones). The other is the effect of heat in the engine compartment. They ran hotter than the unblown models and that can take its toll in brittle wiring, dried out gaskets rubber hoses, belts, etc.

Having said that, they are a cute car that never made it as a collector car. If you like it, live it up, you won't find too many others at any car show you attend. They made millions of them and used the same platform on many models and even minivans, for many years. So parts should not be a problem.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don't let anyone in the back seat rest there fingers over the top of the door gap while the car is driving over a severe angled driveway!

I did that and got a blister from the door gap closing up.

Park the car on a flat surface to be sure you can close the top up too.

A friend used to love those ( woody leBaron) cars and found the body structures flex.... a lot.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

trunk rack is 4476442  have 4 NOS  fit 1981-89 K bodies

The car you are looking at has a T1 Turbo engine and all of the 84-86 convertibles had an automatic transmission.

here is my K car derivative: a 1992 Daytona IROC R/T with 18K miles. 224 HP 16 valve, Turbo, Intercooled, DOHC

This is the T3 engine and all came with a 5 speed. This engine added 8,000.00 to the cost of the car!!! Everything under the hood PLUS the exhaust, cooling systems are unique to this drivetrain. Finding parts is a real treat!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/108893441414928105702/album/AF1QipMgKlN1-oAEwl11MtdsJmQ2NZcgOM9XAd1XqnLa  

Edited by marty mopar (see edit history)