Man crashes perfectly restored 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle into brick wall

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Perhaps some kind of intelligence test with a sub program of what used to be known as common sense?  That is before being allowed behind the wheel or handle bars of anything with more than 75 hp or a top speed of 50 mph

His daily driver is probably a Prius. That's the perfect car for someone that stupid.... :D

Regular gasoline in the U.K. currently runs over $6.00 USD per gallon and I would imagine that the subject Chevelle would require some sort of premium fuel, adding to the cost of the gasoline.  My guess is that, depending on the rear end ratio etc., that Chevelle would average somewhere around 6-8 miles per gallon.  Coupled with import fees, various taxes and insurance and so forth, that Chevelle would be very costly to own and drive in the U.K.  Crikey, It would be pretty expensive to do so in the U.S.! 

With apologies to Pink Floyd, the Chevelle driver was "Just Another Brick (head) in the Wall" and will be engaged in the old children's game of "pickup bricks".

Enough, already.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Reminded me of the time when the Kawasaki 500 Mach III  first came out. Guy had a new one and said "watch this". Stood straight up on end, left the ground, and parted ways with the occupant. Rotated sideways as it came down and cracked the case wide open.

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

With apologies to Pink Floyd, the Chevelle driver was "Just Another Brick (head) in the Wall" and will be engaged in the old children's game of "pickup bricks".

Enough, already.

Cheers,

Grog

Grog, I was thinking about the Pink Floyd song since I saw the video I just could not tie it in, good job!

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Has anyone NOT seen someone with a big motor do something stupid at a car show? There are literally hundreds of hours of videos on YouTube of idiots with fast cars getting in over their heads. They are unfailingly amusing and a cautionary tale for how not to act. It's why the Dodge Hellcats (and Demons--those that get driven--are probably worse) have like a 40% attrition rate--just because you can buy it doesn't mean you can drive it. With 700 horsepower on tap, things happen FAR faster than the average guy can process unless he's had training and experience. Before the average guy can even react, the car is already too far gone to catch, never mind figure out how to save it. Easy to think guys like  NASCAR drivers don't really have much skill, but the moment a tire loses traction at those speeds, all sense of "Hell, I could do that" is gone. The average guy's brain just doesn't work fast enough at those speeds.

At least Nissan does the right thing and includes some Bondurant driving school lessons when one purchases a 370Z or a Skyline GT-R.   I believe Nissan has been arranging this since 1989, or so.

Craig

Just to tell you that this story is too common and not a joke.  A few years ago a non-AACA member left a show down south and lost control of his Cobra replicar on the street just outside the show.  He ended up striking a pedestrian and killed him.  I will always believe that this one was avoidable and that I know what really transpired as he left the show.  The case went to court as the club and region were sued as well.  I ended up spending time in a courtroom that I really did not enjoy! Fortunately, the jury did not award the family any damages on OUR behalf but sadly a life was lost needlessly.  

An old friend of mine (now deceased- of natural causes) once decided to power up his '63 Valiant 273 V8,replacing it with a 340 which he found in a wrecking yard. It was previously in a car in which three teens were killed. It was a driveway install, including a pine tree,a chain fall,and a sledge hammer (the wheel wells were too close together to accommodate the 340 manifolds) !

I was riding in the back seat one evening when he pulled out to pass a car on a winding two lane. We were looking out the windshield at the other car,passing it sideways at near 90 MPH. I suggested that a roll of toilet paper should be standard equipment in there.

Interestingly,his petite little blond wife could handle the beast well,and won many a drag race against much more  exotic iron.

Have thought for a long time that where brute force is not needed, ladies can be much more precise than men (particularly now that a 1-2 shift does not involve pulling back on a stick as hard as you can and at the right moment batting the clutch while keeping the right foot flat on the floor).

In the same vein I have to wonder why none of the computer jocks in reality TV drag racing shows never heard of Traction Control .

ps a 61 Caddy 'vert can exactly fit through a two lane bridge sideways.