Chicago car guy moving to Central FL?

John_Mc

On 7/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, C Carl said:

Hi Earl !  Sounds like those miracle making cardiologists did a comprehensive overhaul. A few "as long as I am here, might as well........." opportunities. Getting even more rebuilt than originally anticipated will really make a significant improvement when you have fully recovered. As I am sure you have  been told, full recovery takes a relatively long time. Just hang in there, follow doctor's orders, and go for a drive in your beautiful 1939 Buick as soon as you are able. You might be very glad you didn't sell it. I expect you will find that the world is an even more beautiful place (even the Sebring area), than it was before your surgery.

Patience, my forum friend. Patience and courage.   -   Carl 

I did sell the yellow convertible after all, for a good bit less thanit was worth but it needed to be gone and you guys softened me up.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, Terry Bond said:

Earl, sent you and email, had not been following this thread but it's good to hear from you.  As long as you can still bang on your keyboard, keep us up to date on your progress.  We're all pulling for you.

Terry

Progress very slow Terry.  But I guess I'll get there.  Sold my yellow '39 convertible after almost 40 years.  Don't know if I can ever drive my 41 Roadmaster, expecially unlessI throw away $1600 radial tires and buy bias.  Radias steer so hard.  I've driven in twice I think since full restoration.  Earl

Glad to hear you sold that Convertible Sedan.  One less thing to worry about.  Also glad to hear

of your valve job and new fuel lines.   You'll be much stronger and have more energy when it heals.

My neighbor just had the same thing, at age 82 and now 6 weeks later he's up to his old tricks and 

20 lbs lighter.  Hang in there, you to will have a new outlook soon.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, John_Mc said:

HA, yes isn't living in the Land of Lincoln wonderful????  We can't wait to get the heck out of here.  Cook County has destroyed this state.

John, do you have any updates on your new-home search?

I realize your quest may take a while, but it would be good

to hear when you have found a cost-friendly and car-friendly location.

(By the way, I spoke to you today about Lincoln parts.)

On 10/17/2019 at 10:37 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

John, do you have any updates on your new-home search?

I realize your quest may take a while, but it would be good

to hear when you have found a cost-friendly and car-friendly location.

(By the way, I spoke to you today about Lincoln parts.)

No not really.  We have put any move on the back burner for now as my wife has accepted a teaching position for this school year.  Looks like we a stuck in Illinois for a while

My wife and I moved to winter garden just under a year ago from the philadelphia area.

We haven't done much in the way of looking for shows since moving here because our car was still in storage in PA but we now have it in our possession down here. With that being said....I've been a member of the AACA for just under 3 years now but never joined a region or even really knew much about them.

I tried contacting my local region (which I assume is the Florida Region) but heard nothing back. How exactly can a region or club expect to bring on new members without responding to them?

I moved to central Fl. from Chicago in 1979 . I retired from working at the space center and live in Port St. John. I love the weather from mid October to the end of May but the summers are horrible and seem to be getting worse every year! It is like cabin fever in Chicago's winter in the summer.Anyway I think Mims,Canaveral Groves or Christmas Fl. might be nice for large lots and old cars. I like Lake county as well.Good luck,Greg.  P.S. Is love to be a snow bird but it's getting hot all over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

I moved to central Fl. from Chicago in 1979 . I retired from working at the space center and live in Port St. John. I love the weather from mid October to the end of May but the summers are horrible and seem to be getting worse every year! It is like cabin fever in Chicago's winter in the summer.Anyway I think Mims,Canaveral Groves or Christmas Fl. might be nice for large lots and old cars. I like Lake county as well.Good luck,Greg.  P.S. Is love to be a snow bird but it's getting hot all over.

You seem to have forgotten that nobody slips on the heat and breaks a hip, like they do in the snow, and it is a lot easier to cool off when hot then it is to warm up when you are cold.

It does get pretty sticky in the summer, and mid-May, i bail and head north right around then. It is hard to imagine that state prior to air conditioning. Reverse cabin fever is true.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I grew up in south Florida before home AC was common and took a lot of showers before bed. OTOH 88F was about as hot as it got and the 3:30pm rain would cool things off.

In the summer my garage work is done after midnight and have many fans. The convertible time of year has returned.