Jim Skelly

I've seen a number of them, especially at AACA

national meets.

Though they are interesting, I believe they are not in

any great demand:  They are from an era that is being

increasingly overlooked by car fans;  and they are 

smaller, and I think less powerful, than the actual

Buick models.  

But Marquettes are fun to look at when they show up!

• Like 1

I've seen one, a 1930 sedan many years ago. Appeared to be a typical sedan of the time with a flathead six cylinder engine. This is where it differed from the regular Buick line which were all overhead valve straight eights. An interesting novelty but no special features that I know of.

In the brochure I have (copyright 1929), the title of which I used as the heading for this topic, there is a chart titled, " Acceleration of 1930 Marquette Cars".  Apparently Buick considered it to be a 1930 model, though different states probably titled it as a 1929, 1930 or 1931 - depending on when the car was sold.  Since it went on sale 90 years ago today,  that would explain why to this day it is also often known as a 1929 model.

Acceleration is listed as follows, all starting from 10 M.P.H.:

10 M.P.H. - 25 M.P.H.: 6.3 seconds

10 M.P.H. - 40 M.P.H.: 13.4 seconds

10 M.P.H. - 60 M.P.H.: 31.0 seconds

Top speed is claimed to be 68 - 70 M.P.H., but I wouldn't attempt to drive one that fast!

Engine is an inline 6, 212 cubic inches, 67.5 horsepower. 

I would love to own one of these as I really like the overall styling and the grille.

I saw one a few years ago. Owner passed away and heirs were trying to sell cars in garage. Garage with a failed roof. Garage mate was a 1927 Buick. Both were in poor condition, but the Marquette didn't have a stick of good wood in the body, most completely missing, no pattern to use to make new. Way too much of a project for me. Too bad, looked complete except for wood parts, even steering wheel was rotted. Cool looking chevron grille.

• Like 1

The Standard catalog says Buick built 35,0007 and Marquettes - all recognised as 1930 models.

A total of 322 of those found their way to New Zealand, including 1 roadster, 29 coupes and 294 sedans, of which 288 arrived as CKD packs and were assembled in the GM plant in Petone.

There are several surviving sedans in NZ but I have not heard of the fate of the roadster or the coupes.

This sedan was photographed in NZ in the 1980s. It is still on the local registration register.

1930 Marquette at Akl 1986 Sath Flckr.jpg

• Like 1