Paint for a 1926

Hello I am looking for dodge brothers blue 1. I am looking for a small can maybe a 10oz or less. I am having my car detailed and they asked me for some paint. On the dB website there is a paint chart with the proper paint color. But after contacting DuPont the codes do not work. Any suggestions on getting a small bottle of touch up paint in a hurry?

Mattml430 is basically correct in his response.  Unless you have some of the actual paint used on your car leftover, the odds of a good match from someone elses formula are basically nil.  Add to that any fading due to age and you're pretty much out of luck.  If you have a real good auto paint supplier they should be able to do a custom match from a part of your car. We use almost exclusively PPG paint in our shop and our dealer has been very successful with custom matches over the years for us.  The old formulas are no longer much good as the newer paints use different tinting components as well as simply being different paint materials.  The generally accepted "modern" replacement for what was known as "dodge brothers blue" was 1957 Studebaker "Admiral Blue".  It was one of their "Spring Colors" and doesn't appear in all color chip books that I've seen, but is out there.  Good Luck.

• Like 2

Mpgp1999, at first I wasn't sure if you wanted Postal Blue (aka Admiral Blue) paint for your wheels and spokes, or another shade of blue for the body of your car, but I guess you want the postal blue, huh?

I would like to give you a rant about paint, if you don't mind.  I hope I am not hijacking your thread.

Many of the ingredients that make a paint cover well, be very durable and long-lasting are quite expensive.  (For example, chromium dioxide.  Have you priced having anything chromed recently?)  All paint manufacturers except Sherwin-Williams mix their paints down to a price, using only the bare minimum of the expensive ingredients, so their products can be popularly-priced to sell in the big-box stores.  S-W follows a different business model.  They don't even try to sell their paint in Home Despot because they make the best paint they can make and then charge whatever it costs, and nobody who's looking for an economical price at the big-box store would buy it.  Homeowners get sticker shock when they see prices like that because usually S-W paints cost about twice as much as supposedly-"equivalent" paint in other brands, but S-W paints cover in one coat and are very durable.  That's why painters prefer to use S-W.  On a big painting job, you save a lot more in labor costs than you lose by using the more expensive paint.

Before I learned this, I hired a painter to paint the eaves and soffits on my barn.  We agreed that I would provide the materials, and I bought Behr paint from Home Despot.  When the painter arrived and saw the Behr paint, he remarked that it was too bad I had already bought it because he had meant to tell me to buy S-W because it would cover in one coat, while the Behr paint would take 2 or more coats.  Since I couldn't return the paint, I told him to go ahead anyway.  Sure enough, he had to apply 2 coats; even then it didn't cover very well; and my labor cost was twice what it would have been with S-W paint.

I bought a quart can of S-W Postal Blue oil-based paint for my new spoked wheels and was very happy with it.  Great coverage with one coat, and it still looks like new after 10 years.  When you're only buying a quart, the price difference isn't that significant.

Mpgp1999, would you like me to get you the paint code for S-W Postal Blue?  I've got the can tucked away in the barn, and will pull it out for you if you need the code.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 22touring said:

Mpgp1999, at first I wasn't sure if you wanted Postal Blue (aka Admiral Blue) paint for your wheels and spokes, or another shade of blue for the body of your car, but I guess you want the postal blue, huh?

I would like to give you a rant about paint, if you don't mind.  I hope I am not hijacking your thread.

Many of the ingredients that make a paint cover well, be very durable and long-lasting are quite expensive.  (For example, chromium dioxide.  Have you priced having anything chromed recently?)  All paint manufacturers except Sherwin-Williams mix their paints down to a price, using only the bare minimum of the expensive ingredients, so their products can be popularly-priced to sell in the big-box stores.  S-W follows a different business model.  They don't even try to sell their paint in Home Despot because they make the best paint they can make and then charge whatever it costs, and nobody who's looking for an economical price at the big-box store would buy it.  Homeowners get sticker shock when they see prices like that because usually S-W paints cost about twice as much as supposedly-"equivalent" paint in other brands, but S-W paints cover in one coat and are very durable.  That's why painters prefer to use S-W.  On a big painting job, you save a lot more in labor costs than you lose by using the more expensive paint.

Before I learned this, I hired a painter to paint the eaves and soffits on my barn.  We agreed that I would provide the materials, and I bought Behr paint from Home Despot.  When the painter arrived and saw the Behr paint, he remarked that it was too bad I had already bought it because he had meant to tell me to buy S-W because it would cover in one coat, while the Behr paint would take 2 or more coats.  Since I couldn't return the paint, I told him to go ahead anyway.  Sure enough, he had to apply 2 coats; even then it didn't cover very well; and my labor cost was twice what it would have been with S-W paint.

I bought a quart can of S-W Postal Blue oil-based paint for my new spoked wheels and was very happy with it.  Great coverage with one coat, and it still looks like new after 10 years.  When you're only buying a quart, the price difference isn't that significant.

Mpgp1999, would you like me to get you the paint code for S-W Postal Blue?  I've got the can tucked away in the barn, and will pull it out for you if you need the code.

If possible I would love the paint code for my body. 

You need to use automotive paints not house paint. A good automotive paint shop if they want to take the time can give you a list of the colours and grams to make your colour match. I highly doubt you will get a colour code for your car unless you can match it close enough from a colour swatch booklet . 

"You need to use automotive paints not house paint."

Right.  I wasn't sure if you were painting your body or your wheels.  Single-stage catalyzed urethane enamel would be correct for our cars.  Unfortunately body shops seem to want to spray only 2-stage paints these days because their customers are too lazy to wax their cars.

That would be great, I have only a small area like 2" x1" between head and block front area that needs a touch up and maybe it will be close enough for the match, the car was my dads and it won a AACA Senior so I would Imagine your color and this would be correct same.

Thank you I look forward for the number whats the smallest can you can have made Pint? I would assume its a high heat paint?

Regards

Rich

The green engine color for 4-cylinder DB cars is DuPont DuLux 83503 - 1958 Peugeot green.

Check out this thread, wherein the paint color code is provided by well-known DB authority Rodger "Dodger" Hartley.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/44755-engine-color/

Here's a copy of the DB body paint chart that was distributed by ROMAR quite a few years ago.

Dodge Bros body paint colors.jpg

Edited by 22touring (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1