63 Glass color?

Fitzo1969

In the process of restoring/reconstructing my 63 Riv, I all ordered new glass. The car came with "blue/green" tinted windows and I wanted to match that look. So I ordered then glass, finding the only options seem to be "clear" or "green" glass, I ordered the "green" glass. When we went to install the door glass it became obvious the factory glass is much more "blue" than the replacement "green" glass.

Also, another issue I ran into was the replacement door glass has 4 bolt holes in it, mine is slide in place, and is 1/2" taller than my stock glass. Apparently this design change took place mid year 63?

Has anyone run across this difference in the glass color? And has anyone found a source for the "blue-green" glass like the car came with. 

Personally I think the stock "blue/green" glass is much nicer looking than the "green"glass.

Thanks!

Scott

Ka2KEyHVS4i3Aax0Sw+gDw.jpg

8ORF+56tSCy8c1p+nXOCdw.jpg

NC%XWSLTRBeN+YU0g8Nd4A.jpg

KJaltUsbRlePZ02Bc0ZfJg.jpg

I don't have an answer to your glass color question.  Sorry.  I have always used glass that came off a parts car.  Original glass fits.

I am not aware of a '63 mid-year parts change in the window glass.  I try to track all mid-year changes in the '63.

Please send me a picture of your data plate above the power brake booster.

• Like 1

All of the 63's from which I've pulled parts have had press in glass. 64's and 65's have the boot in glass.  If youre going to have to live with the green glass, contact someone who parts out cars, there a a number 9f them in the Riview, and get a 64 or 65 part for the regulator, get the bolts as well.  Theyre different.

Hi Scott,

Who did you buy the glass from?

Search this forum for info on the change made sometime in '63 from pressed-in (glued) door glass to the bolt-in method.  As mentioned, the '64/5 cars have the bolted in glass.  Your car was made in the third week of February (date code 02C) so perhaps the change-up happened after your car was built.  The glass seller should honor a return, or send you replacement glass that matches the hardware in your doors. 

Note also that all 63/64/65 have the pressed-in glass for the rear quarters.  This glass does not bolt in.  I recently replaced mine with glass from a parted out '64 and it came with the chromed pot metal frames.  I wouldn't know how to remove the pressed-in glass, but I suppose it can be done.

Hope this helps,

The design change from pressed in glass to bolted on glass happened during the `64 model year. I have previously posted on this forum service bulletins, Part and Accessories bulletins, etc detailing the changes. Try a search on this forum and if you cant find the info I previously posted send me a PM.

I have all the parts you need to change over to the bolt in replacement glass if you choose to do so. I also should have both versions of used, tinted glass.

Tom Mooney

Thanks for the feedback. I purchased the glass through Auto City Classics and they have been more than helpful with finding me the correct size/glue in '63 glass, no bolt holes and a smaller size. 

The color? Well, I think I will have to live with the "green" tint unless I find a flawless set of used ones. The green or clear glass are the only options out on the market, so it was my decision to try the green glass thinking it was the same as my stock glass. I would rather have the flawless new glass with no scratches.

Tom: I will try to get better pics showing the color difference, but again, it is a noticeable difference.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

16 minutes ago, Fitzo1969 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I purchased the glass through Auto City Classics and they have been more than helpful with finding me the correct size/glue in '63 glass, no bolt holes and a smaller size. 

The color? Well, I think I will have to live with the "green" tint unless I find a flawless set of used ones. The green or clear glass are the only options out on the market, so it was my decision to try the green glass thinking it was the same as my stock glass. I would rather have the flawless new glass with no scratches.

Tom: I will try to get better pics showing the color difference, but again, it is a noticeable difference.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Hi Fitz,

There is no such thing as a "flawless" piece of 50 year old glass. I have closely inspected and sold many windshields, side glass and rear glass and it is very rare to find a piece without a flaw. If your goal is flawless your only alternative is new...and you might even find objections in that circumstance.

Is it possible the original factory tint has changed in 50 years? I would think so....

I was in the process of sending you the original info to convert to the bolt in glass but it appears you have a solution. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

2 hours ago, jsgun said:

My 64 has glue in glass and green tint. I had to glue in (with tape) all my side windows, age caused them to come loose.

Steve,

The change over from glued in to bolt on glass was supposedly some time in June `64

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

I've got Auto City Classics tinted glass in two of my old cars, and the color of the tint looks fine. You won't see

anything wrong with the color if you don't have an old glass next to it for comparison. There is a problem

with the tint however and it isn't with the color. In certain kinds of sunlight, the tint looks blotchy on their tinted glass.

Indoors it looks perfect. For this reason when I'm showing my cars with this glass outdoors, I roll all the windows down.

I don't like the blotchy tint, but these windows still look a lot better than scratched glass. The blotchy tint is not confined to just

their repro glass. I had a 96 Corvette that I bought brand new and the back hatch glass tint was horribly blotchy. I've never seen a 60's or 70's

GM car with blotchy factory glass, but it is very common in their later model cars. 

14 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I've noticed the tint in my 90 looks blotchy when I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses.  Nothing when I'm wearing my clear lenses.  ????  Just me or anyone else?

Same here.  In fact, if you turn your head 1/4 turn left or right with the polarized lenses on, you will see the blotches change.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jsgun said:

I assumed it was the UV coating in the glass causing it

Good day,

It's my understanding that the effect is caused not by the tint, but in the manufacture of the glass itself. The tempering impacts the structural characteristics of the glass which affects the polarization of the glass itself. In technical terms, it''s called "stressed birefringence". The effect is also visible in some plastics.  Again, the tint doesn't cause the effect, I believe it just 'enhances' the psychedelic  'prism-like' colours one sees through polarized lenses...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

• Like 1

I notice it more in aftermarket tinted windows.  When I got my 94 Estate wagon, it factory tint, which is t very dark.  I never noticed the "blotches" in it.  When I had a darker tint applied the effect became much more noticeable. And, as Jim noted, it appears different at different angles.