Anyone going to Buick Reunion in Oklahoma?

DAVES89

Ed Farnell and I will be there.

I am also signed up for a swap space and will be selling parts really cheap so if someone wants anything or wants some spare parts, let me know and i can deliver them there for free.

I'll be there starting Tuesday. I'll have plenty of good parts with me. Due to limited space of traveling in a Reatta, some of the larger stuff will be by request only. 

The Rendezvous is Thursday afternoon and should be a good one on Route 66. The info is in your latest Reatta newsletter. 

I am filling out the form to go. If I just want to park my car on the show ground I just pay an extra $20.00 over the $35.00 registration, is that correct? And also as I am coming in through the town where we have supper at can I just meet at the restaurant, have supper [of course send in my paid menu request] and follow back to Midwest City?

Just now, DAVES89 said:

I am filling out the form to go. If I just want to park my car on the show ground I just pay an extra $20.00 over the $35.00 registration, is that correct? And also as I am coming in through the town where we have supper at can I just meet at the restaurant, have supper [of course send in my paid menu request] and follow back to Midwest City?

Yes, as long as we know you're coming you can do whatever you like. We have some people coming directly from Tulsa already. 

• 4 weeks later...

We are having the Buick Reunion Meal in Stroud Oklahoma. When my wife and I were coming back from our last vacation this spring we stayed in Stroud at the Cattle Country Motel. Nice place and we ate downtown at a bar and grill, not the place we will be staying..

• Like 1

What time will the group expect to arrive at the Rock Cafe? Weather will be rainy on Wednesday so I am trying to plan my departure from Wisconsin to avoid as much rain as possible and yet still be on time. Thanks!

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

What time will the group expect to arrive at the Rock Cafe? Weather will be rainy on Wednesday so I am trying to plan my departure from Wisconsin to avoid as much rain as possible and yet still be on time. Thanks!

If all goes as planned we should be there around 4:30 PM. 

I decided to get to the Reunion early so I could get checked in and cleaned up prior to leaving for the Reatta rally on Route 66. There were about a dozen or so Reattas all lined up and off we went only to get separated by traffic. I was able to stay with the leaders and enjoyed the drive to the Rock Cafe. After an hour or so of fellowship and our meal we headed back to the BCA meet. Looked at the cars that were there and turned in because of the long time spent in the car. Friday was spent walking the field, talking to owners of Reattas and some of the other cars there, and then looking at the items Jim had for sale. Also ran the booth for him so he could take another run on Route 66. He met us at the Rock Cafe as he went "junkin" on Thursday and didn't drive with us.

Saturday I left early with the intention of getting home yet that day. 35 miles from home I stopped for gas and a check under the hood as I had been hearing a noise. I was monitoring the gauges and checking the fluid levels through the touch screen so thought everything was fine.

Well it wasn't. 

My water pump had gone bad. It wasn't spinning true and had a bad wobble causing the belt to get sliced to about a 3/4" width. The sliced off material was wrapped around supports in the belt area and had to be cut free. I thought I could make the last 35 miles home, but didn't even get to the on ramp when the belt came off, [I could tell because the battery warning light came on and the steering got real hard] so I quickly drove to the gas station on the on ramp side of the road. Popped the hood and sure enough, belt was off. Tried putting it back on, but it wouldn't stay in place. I had an extra one in the trunk, so swapped out the bad belt for a new one. This didn't work either as the belt would slide right off as the wobble was so bad. The pulley the belt runs on is good, but the spindle the pulley mounts to was bad. Why that car never leaked anti freeze I will never know. 

Called a wrecker and two hours later I was home with a car that will be getting a new water pump.

In 4 days I drove about 1900 hundred miles and the car failed less then 35 miles from home.

I was lucky!

Also this was a aftermarket replacement that I installed after the engine swap. I have another in back stock so I should be able to get this done hopefully today depending on when the kids are coming over. I'm checking the warranty and if it is a lifetime warranty I'm taking this one back.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Glad you made it home relatively OK.  Very good thing mishap was only 35 miles from home and no further damage than the water pump and belt.  You may recall I mentioned a while back that in 2014 I lost my tranny in the '92 Riviera in eastern CO...what an expensive car show trip that became!   

6 minutes ago, DShip said:

Glad you made it home relatively OK.  Very good thing mishap was only 35 miles from home and no further damage than the water pump and belt.  You may recall I mentioned a while back that in 2014 I lost my tranny in the '92 Riviera in eastern CO...what an expensive car show trip that became!   

Ouch! Don't remember but Ouch!

The worst part is standing there trying to swap a belt when you see how badly it's sliced and thinking "I'm going to ruin another belt before I get home and if I break down again will I be in a safe well lite c-store parking lot"? The answer was no, so that is why I called the wrecker. I just find it amazing to go 1900 hundred miles and then fail so close to home with as you said no other damage.

• Like 1

I put the back stock water pump on this morning along with a new serpentine belt. I was little concerned about the longer bolts so I called Ronnie about putting gasket compound on the ones that go through the water jackets. The consensus was to err on the side of caution. Added new anti freeze and all is good.

Side note. Dave Pannell [a poster from way back] had sold his last Reatta and made me an offer that if I would drive to Indianapolis he would give me his back stock. His stuff was pretty good. Thought about him today as I put a really clean overflow tank that came from him on the Red. 

Thanks Dave!

On 6/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I was looking for an update of how the Reatta Rendezvous went, how many cars, and some photos.   Especially with the owners.

I think you will have to check the facebook group to get that information.  That is the new message board for the Reatta Division. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I think you will have to check the facebook group to get that information.  That is the new message board for the Reatta Division. 

That's too bad.  I just sent in my application and fees 4 days ago.  I thought you and Dave were both there, for instance, an update can come from anyone.  Barney and Marck have added photos and information in the past. 

I'm not on Facebook.  Technically I am , but when I tried to go in to view 1988 #199 that Kevin posted, I was declined.  I would not know how to navigate Facebook. 

15 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

That's too bad.  I just sent in my application and fees 4 days ago.  I thought you and Dave were both there, for instance, an update can come from anyone.  Barney and Marck have added photos and information in the past.  

I'm not on Facebook.  Technically I am , but when I tried to go in to view 1988 #199 that Kevin posted, I was declined.  I would not know how to navigate Facebook. 

I am a member of the BCA and Reatta Div.. I sometimes use my wife's Facebook account to look around. When I made a request to join the (closed to the public) Reatta Facebook Group the request was not approved. You might could say I'm a dues paying club member in exile.   :) 

3 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Looked like a much smaller Reatta turnout than some past years, from pictures i am think 5, might have been more but any and all pictures I saw the same 5

I think there were about 10-12 of them. They were not in the same parking area and were constantly coming and going. There were also 3-4 people there that were Reatta owners that brought other cars instead.

But overall there was only about 100-110 cars there. Not a great turn out...

That's a good percentage.  Percentage only.  Total number of all cars, that's odd that it was lower than last years total which was I think 160.  Denver is harder to reach for some, lots of driving.   I think next year will be better.  Strongville, Ohio is pretty centrally located, and there were a lot of Reattas sold in the area (500 miles circumference)

Had a great time at OK City.......the turn out was small,  less than 200 total Buicks.   I did not get a count on the Reatta but there was only 1 in 400 point judging and 3 or 4 in Archival.

My friend Joe Atkinson from Dallas decided to leave for home on Saturday morning so he did not show his car.   Good to see Dave, Ed, Jim,  Jerry Richstein, Sid Meyer (has my wifes 1991 convertible)

Bill Landers, March Barker, Martel & Anne Gibson, Elizabeth Lane & husband,  Mike Glaz & Paul Gomberg from Houston.   Not all of them drove Reatta....Jim Finn drove a 1939 Special coupe with V8 engine.  

I probably missed a couple of people.  First time since belonging to the Buick club that I did not judge Reattas.

Wednesday after visiting the bombing memorial in downtown OK City we were headed back to the hotel on I-40 and someone lost the frame to a recumbent bike on the road...could not avoid it and it got caught

under the Enclave.   Poked a hole in the LF tire the size of a golf ball, broke the grill and tore a hole in the front bumper (plastic) the size of a couple of tennis balls.   The Buick dealer inspected and said it was not

damaged underneath (today I looked and a plastic shield for the front of the gas tank is badly damaged)   Discount Tire found a matching tire and it only took them 2+ hours of waiting to get that on.

I did not take any pictures but my daughter did so I will share those when she sends them to me.