Locomobile and Riker Truck Gathering Place

alsfarms

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have studied a bit regarding the 1917 Riker worm drive truck sales literature currently for sale on EBAY.  Riker was quite a truck, muscular for sure.  If you have a Riker truck, this piece of literature would sure be a nice addition to you collection!  If I had truck pieces, I would certainly be on this EBAY auction.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may not be Riker truck but is definitely Riker and 1898 to boot!  A good write-up is found on the Dragone website and on the HCCA forum "Auto's for sale".  Check it out, what a piece of Americana.  This car is being sold at a big west coast auction.  It will be interesting to learn what it sells for,  and where it will be going next.

Al

image.png.c1e6369902da306d4e5c586600394439.png

• 2 months later...

Believe it or not, it's just an old postcard. Who would make a postcard of a bunch of old trucks? I guess the answer is it's not a bunch of old trucks, it's a new technology. After a couple of centuries of horses lugging everything around in the military; supplies, men, cannons; they are just starting to be replaced.

Took awhile to find, but here it is: 

F/S by "foundation*antiques" seller, VT, USA, price: $25.00

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

If only these trucks hadn't driven off into the sunset. I read a report from The Front from a transportation captain a century ago who said that his motorpool started out with heavy trucks from 5 different manufacturers, and after a year only the Peerlesses remained. No one is alive who can remember it, but it's also written that the Peerless trucks changed the tactics of the German military during the Great War. QF 3-inch 20 cwt - Mk I gun on Mk IV mounting on Peerless 4 ton lorry, WWI.............Hundreds were equipped with 13-pounder AA guns, manned by Royal Naval Air Service crews, and forced German reconnaissance planes to stay above 10,000 feet. Here is a Mark I gun in service on a Peerless TC-4 lorry, Wikipedia photo.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Jeff.  Do you have an idea how many Peerless trucks may have survived?  Unfortunately, this big brute trucks were mostly considered scrap iron after the "Great War".  I was lucky enough to own most of a Packard 5 ton of the WW1 vintage, but have never run across a Locomobile, Riker or Peerless.  If you run  across other WW1 vintage information , please post.

Al

GreatWarTruck and Blastermike here on the forums are the authorities on that.

An agent for the War Department(Britain) showed up in the States and more or less wrote a ticket for a 12,000-unit purchase of Peerless trucks about 1914, so the Brits got most of them. A chassis converted into a sheep hauling wagon turned up in Kansas or Montana a few years ago, then disappeared. 15 years ago, there was a complete 1914 Peerless truck in the Sierra Mountains, a town called Quincy, CA, but it and the owner, Richard Egbert, have vanished. No one here on the AACA Forums is from that area, so the truck is pretty well hidden for now, whatever happened to it.

As Tim and Mike could tell you, there are some survivors on the other side of the pond. Sandstone Estates, an agriculture, railroad, and vehicle museum in South Africa, has one that still runs. In Ireland and the U.K. there are a few frames, 2 Peerless Armoured Cars, one chassis with a plywood armoured car body used in a Liam Neeson/Julia Roberts film, one truck at a clay quarry museum found under some rubble, 1 being restored by GreatWarTruck, and a Condition #1 TC-4 restored by Richard Flynn as a beer cartage truck. A friend of mine, David Baird, offered to fly me to the UK for the Bonhams auction when all of Richard Flynn's vehicles were sold so I could bid on it. We decided not to follow through on that due to not deep enough pockets. Wise choice: the billionaire movie producer who took it home with him could have outbid us even if I had offered one million pounds. I'll see if I can drag a piccie of the little truck here so you can see what the attraction was.   

post-93154-0-96083400-1448291695_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is an on-going thread on  WW1 Peerless undergoing restoration in the UK. Steve and his Dad have done fantastic work! They just finished

a wonderful WW1 Thornycroft. Both threads are worth reading. Before diving into the Thronycroft thread a big mug of your favorite relaxing

beverage and some snack food close at hand is strongly advised.

WW1 Peerless Lorry Restoration

WW1 Thronycroft Lorry Restoration

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Al,  That truck must be over in jolly old England.  I would like to see the truck the fellow in the back ground is sitting on....I wonder what it is?  More information on the pictured truck would be great if anyone here knows anything?  It also looks like a truck is hiding in the garage, more questions!

Al

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What stress, is put on your life-style, brought on by the current Pandemic?  Are you all able to keep a low profile and simply stay out in the garage working on your early Locomobile/Riker truck projects?  Do you have any projects underway, that could be of mutual interest here and to other antique automobile/truck  guys?  It may help us all "keep it together" if we have a daily goal to let others know what is going on while we survive Coronavirus.....

Al

• 1 month later...

Hi Al

ive not heard of any new finds that is locomobile or peerless truck related, 

being stuck at home for a month now gave me a chance to start on building the cab for my 1926 Albion model 24, these are scottish built trucks and i also have a ww1 era Albion A10 restoration underway,  i will post some pictures, hope this is of interest mate

mike

8B32EB7D-C924-4D7F-A943-E9688900F886.jpeg

748D4FA4-ED9B-4CF3-97D7-9349B6887461.jpeg

10FC007F-D2EB-4A4E-A03B-B42C94F878B0.jpeg

977C17A9-0540-4C90-B432-E9A4D30E5586.jpeg

Edited by blastermike
Spelling mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mike , it is nice to hear from you.  Your Albion projects are certainly nice.  Thanks for the pictures and they definitely are part of the big WW1 picture just as Locomobile , Riker and Pierce-Arrow, (and others).  What early rigs do you have that are up and running?  I noticed a Nash Quad was for sale just lately.  Those are very unique ad I have an interest in them also as I have a couple of Nash projects that I am warm on.  More pictures and story please....

Al

Hi Al,  yeh Albion built approx 6000 trucks for ww1, mine is from that era being chassis nos 1979F, but i couldnt tell you if it had gone to the front but it is a WD model 3 ton version, i have a few other trucks from that era the liberty being a well known make and a 1918 white 5 ton model TC, and i have a packard like you, mine is a 1915 model D, 3 ton size,    i dont have any of these restored or runnig yet and have being concentrating on finding missing parts for each one of them, 

the most success i have had lately is finding a complete running continental engine for my second type two Liberty chassis, which i have bought but are waiting for the shutdown to be over so it can be shipped back here, a bit frustrating but just got to see this virus thing through, 

i will add a couple more pictures of the unrestored gems !! sorry not good pics though,

cheers mike

liberty and rear shot of the white

69F48361-E354-4519-A8B2-6DB319976A66.jpeg

8F4216EF-995C-41EB-8999-ADE4BAE971CA.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

Nice pictures or your early trucks!  I would sure like to have your shop floor space to spread out a few of my projects on!  Automobiles are bad enough for taking up space let alone the massive size of the early trucks.  The Packard truck I owned at one time was most likely a 5 ton and was certainly a hand full.  The 1913 American-LaFrance city service ladder truck is my largest project and is simply to big to put in any of my shops.  I intend to return it back to the functionality of the original specification which is a Hose car.  When I remove the stretch, I will be able to deal with the total length much easier.  What is the most important thing you have on your "NEED" list?  As I meander around I will keep my eye open for you.

Regards,

Alan 

Hi Al,  yeh these trucks do take up a lot of space allright, well im on the hunt for a few things as you never find these old trucks complete usually, 

the most important parts im looking for are the correct front steel spoked solid rubber wheels for my 1926 pierce arrow truck, ive posted pictures of the rears in the PA thread, and im also looking for some sheetmetal for the White which the model 45 white 5 ton models shared hood and fenders same as my 5 ton model TC, 

Al do you have any pictures of the big packard you had, if it was an early one it would of been a chaindrive monster of a truck ?, with wood spoked wheels? 

Did the guy you sold it to ever find the missing parts and restore it? or is it still a project in waiting? love to see it

cheers mike

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

The Packard truck, I owned, was pre digital images.  I know I have a hard picture or several, but they are in my 35 mm picture file and that file is very buried.  When I decide to rummage through my pictures I will post some here.  It was on pneumatic tires and later in life served as a Utah State road truck.  The wheel type was cast iron spoked and huge.  The bad part was it was missing the radiator and one front cast wheel assembly.  I think it was a donor to build another truck but a later heard that it was the basis of another truck build.  Are you interested in Packard trucks?  I know of one that could very well be purchased, (unrestored).

Regards,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here have information on the Riker trucks and also Locomobile trucks?  How many different engines were available in Riker trucks and also Locomobile trucks?  What were these engine differences?  Were all Riker trucks worm drive?  How similar were Riker trucks to Locomobile trucks?  Was the relationship, between Riker and Locomobile, similar to the modern relationship that exists between GMC and Chevrolet trucks?  When did the electric starter show up on Locomobile and Riker trucks?   How many years were Riker and Locomobile trucks produced concurrently?  What year was the first Locomobile and also Riker trucks built for public consumption?   What was the last year both Locomobile and Riker trucks were manufactured and sold?  Share your knowledge if you can.

Thanks,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I will post a few pictures of a new addition to my collection.  This new addition is an approximately 1916-1917 Riker engine.  It is complete less three valve covers, the fan assembly and the ignition system/generator.  I can certainly see the direct companionship that existed between Locomobile and Riker, much the same as GMC and Chevrolet.  This engine does certainly provide for some fun in the future.

Alan

ACtC-3cP-5GcBNqGcA2j7AaCAnVXb-SCDvFJJYwSMk8HMMrfur2fe031RcINH2A1qmFxmxIXlPPHI_4OO_z-5OcMzQO-sfelVR24BAtPdcN_vonQ0ok_JciCuzOL-NT3Gj29tXkl5kFbwNlRO48wlLIobBBm=w640-h480-no.jpg