Locomobile and Riker Truck Gathering Place

alsfarms

I am impressed, long stroke, five main bearings, full pressure oiling and the Locomobile trademark Manganese Bronze crankcase.  Sadly, this engine is "stuck" but I can see no visible freeze cracks.  I will start the loosening up process and report back on the progress.

Al

Hello Mike,

Actually no, this is a truck engine.  Many of the mechanical pieces are borrowed from the automobile side of Locomobile.  The motor  mount cradles would need to be modified in order to facilitate installation into an auto mobile frame, (but is doable).  First thing is to get the valve cage covers out so I can see what is in the combustion chamber.  Then diesel or some other concoction to get it loosened up. Then the fun starts.  I am anxious to learn more about the interchange of motor pieces between a Locomobile passenger car engine and this truck engine.  This engine is no sleeper as it is 340 CID and rated at 42 HP.  More later.

Al

Thanks Andrew.  I will continue to share these fun and historical pictures on this forum.  Do you know where these pictures originated and why they all have a written dialog with them?  Were they originally some form of publicity sent to dealers?

Al

I'm not sure whether these were taken for promotional purposes or as part of the documentation for the military contract they were built under. They are all from the National Archive.

You would be better off posting the photos I drop-boxed to you as they are cleaner and have more detail.

There is a youtube video below with a mix of trucks. At 3.35 there is footage of a Riker that has rolled over:

Edited by Andrew Benoit
Clarification of detail. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a detail crop from the photo of the Locomobile cars. Click on it to enlarge.

Note the horn for the pasengers to communicate with the driver and the step to access the roof racks. I'm not sure why there are only snow chains on the drives side..

165-WW-312A-033detail.thumb.jpg.8867748fc95b1a99c639cbdc995fa43a.jpg

165-WW-312A-033cu.thumb.jpg.011ac5b3eca18ddbfa1df8c3a6c84d61.jpg

165-WW-312A-033s.thumb.jpg.b10ad24066ddf2c18b9f57ece361dc3c.jpg

Edited by Andrew Benoit
Add close-up photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am starting a search for a Riker transmission as per the attached three pictures.  The transmission will help make the Riker engine shown on page two of this forum a bit more likely to see the road again.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Al

Picture one

ACtC-3eMeFMOA3Knn0iVNXiFdcjnL5CrO94IiAldGL-XC_fw8zpo6uLUFW7_6F72lFeJRaVwjuEcvXNgbkURwOIsVH6ThqbC2XP5WoFxikYkpUA_RAl4tNFqOt83AOGAWExOpEBI7Kx9gBTXsovmRSyEoO7F=w683-h910-no.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It appears that the above shown Riker, located in California, has slipped into obscurity.  If anyone can add any information please share.  I know I will be looking for a right hand steering gear to refit into this future project.  If you have or know of such a steering gear, drop a note.  I am partial to Jacox for the steering gear.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of a circa 1912 Locomobile Model A dump truck in action, (shared on another forum).  Does anyone have literature on this model Locmobile truck?  I am curious if the engine is the same as was found in the later Model B Locomobile and the sister Riker truck?

Al

Locomobile A 2.jpg

Side note:  The picture posted on November 16, 2019 is of a sister truck to this US Engineer dump truck.  That would make the November truck also a Model A Locomobile and built between 1912 and at least 1915.  These trucks must have been very substantial!

Al

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'll give it a try.  The only thing that I can't see for sure is that it6 only has one shift lever?  If it is a shift ]lever, it must be for a progressive type transmission as it is in line only.  Which makes me think it is a brake lever with the trans shifter somewhere else?  Maybe the picture is simply not real clear?

Al