1948 Jeepster SOLD-SOLD-SOLD

Yes, Its mine.

Might do some swapping but no junk.

If any one is interested in the 13 K range look me up.

I picked up this abandoned project about a year ago and spent that time getting it on the road.
I got the never started rebuilt motor running.
Its the "Go Devil" flathead four just like the Jeeps in those old war movies.
I put on all 5 new brake cylinders and four sets of shoes.
Four NEW tires.
Cleaned and resealed the gas tank.
Put the already made up interior together.
Finished up the new wiring harness. (fixed the overdrive)
Added aftermarket turn signals.
New 6 volt battery.
Got a new top installed including the side curtains.
Got the title in my name and is insured. (permanent Oregon special interest registration.
If it sells out of Oregon I am keeping the license plate.
Made up a carpet set for it. (I did do some floor patching but other than that there is no rust).
The car drives just like one would expect for a 1948 four cylinder car. Keeps up with traffic but no race car.

There is what looks like some tarp scratches on the passenger side of the hood and the RF fender, but it may rub out, I didn't try.

Comes with a very comprehensive shop manual.

This car had been stored for over thirty years when I came along, so following some old guys sidelined project was fun for me.

I will accept dead presidents on the spot. Checks of any kind will have ten days to clear. Wire transfer when my bank is satisfied.

I may consider some swap for early Mopar among others (20s or 30s) finished or original, Maybe a Pierce Arrow? (don't really want any projects other than minor fix ups) So lets see whatcha got.

PM me for any questions or phone info.

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 004.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 005.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 006.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 007.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 022.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 023.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 024.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 019.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 015.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 029.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 030.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 020.JPG

2019-03-22 48 Jeepster 021.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks, Jack.  Mine had a massive fault as soon as I was trapped on the 9-mile-long San Mateo Bridge a few weeks ago and couldn't disconnect the cable until the end of bridge.  Haven't opened it up yet to see how much damage but it is in the head, as odometer continued to work.

Nice car, and hope a good Next Custodian finds it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a good buy.  I can't believe someone didn't buy it yet.  I was interested before but timing was wrong as it is now,  but well worth the bump up from what it was at for all the work you have done.  A few days and some 1500 grit paper then a buff would have her sparkling.  That's the easy part.   You did all the hard work already. 

I've seen these around for sale and this is the best one I have seen in your price range. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Yes a little fine finishing would do it justice. I don't really have the patience to do detail work.

But its a long ways from that last photo. The first one that VL brought to us.

I just listed on Hemmings.

I figured for the money it would be gone by now.

This is what it looked like with all the parts loaded up right when she got it here from Texas.

Take note, those tires actually held air (for awhile).

DSC_0296.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, JACK M said:

Sorry Grimy, no extra speedo.

When this came to me the glass was broken so I disassembled and had a piece cut.

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG

Sure is a handsome pick up in the background.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, JACK M said:

File_000%201_zpsxapd4rpb.jpg

As I found the Jeepster. Luckily the interior was protected in the main garage. 

Jack I remember your grandson looking it over in that last pic. Reminds me of a young man in Texas who tried to buy it, but his wife didn’t want a project and I wasn’t ready to sell it yet. Was still hoping to save it for family. This was as hard to sell as the Bronco. Certain family memories go with it. My dad would be very happy to see it completed though. 

Just the ‘63 Spyder Turbo project to do now. Hoping you sell this soon so I can talk you into helping with that, once I have $ saved up from the new job? Haha!

On 6/17/2019 at 3:57 PM, auburnseeker said:

It's a good buy.  I can't believe someone didn't buy it yet.  I was interested before but timing was wrong as it is now,  but well worth the bump up from what it was at for all the work you have done.  A few days and some 1500 grit paper then a buff would have her sparkling.  That's the easy part.   You did all the hard work already. 

I've seen these around for sale and this is the best one I have seen in your price range. 

That paint is actually really nice aside from what Jack pointed out. I think you’re right about what a little buffing would do. 

I hope this goes to a home that will appreciate this unique piece piece of auto history!

On 6/17/2019 at 6:35 PM, JACK M said:

Thanks, Yes a little fine finishing would do it justice. I don't really have the patience to do detail work.

But its a long ways from that last photo. The first one that VL brought to us.

I just listed on Hemmings.

I figured for the money it would be gone by now.

This is what it looked like with all the parts loaded up right when she got it here from Texas.

Take note, those tires actually held air (for awhile).

DSC_0296.JPG

Long enough to get it on the trailer. One was really bad, but someone upstairs was looking out, because every car tire held air long enough to push into a trailer. For some of them, that was a true miracle!

There have been so many miracles along the way. I am really hoping there’s one more out there for a buyer who will pay you a fair price for this favor you did me. 🙏🏻

• Thanks 1

I remember packing all that stuff up with you and making sure it was all secure. I was wondering where that cargo net went. I forgot that I used it on that. That tarp never moved a bit during transport though!

If I could buy it back, I’d get white walls on it again. The others look good, but it’s a personal preference. Not even sure I’d the white walls are correct for the time?

I have your net here if you want it.

I think these came with wide whites, I just didn't have the budget to go that way even though they do really compliment the car in my opinion.

When it was time to buy tires I couldn't even find the correct size, so this is a compromise.

Certainly there will be some tinkering for a new owner, Heck if it was perfect all a guy could do is drive it. (which it does pretty well)

So, cut and buff the paint, get some white walls, maybe tinker on or replace the carburetor. Possibly a new tail pipe.

A new owner needs to get familiar with it you know.

If you want to buy it back I will hold it for you.

Its not really a money thing, nor is it a storage thing. I just have to many cars right now and not enough time to drive them all as they should be driven.

As mentioned in another post these things are all over the place as far as ideas of value goes, I don't think I am out of line.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JACK M said:

I have your net here if you want it.

I think these came with wide whites, I just didn't have the budget to go that way even though they do really compliment the car in my opinion.

When it was time to buy tires I couldn't even find the correct size, so this is a compromise.

Certainly there will be some tinkering for a new owner, Heck if it was perfect all a guy could do is drive it. (which it does pretty well)

So, cut and buff the paint, get some white walls, maybe tinker on or replace the carburetor. Possibly a new tail pipe.

A new owner needs to get familiar with it you know.

If you want to buy it back I will hold it for you.

Its not really a money thing, nor is it a storage thing. I just have to many cars right now and not enough time to drive them all as they should be driven.

As mentioned in another post these things are all over the place as far as ideas of value goes, I don't think I am out of line.

I start my new job in July. A few good sales and I could afford it. Plus it would fit in the garage. However, if you find a buyer, I totally understand. I’m actually not really sure I could even drive it. I can drive a standard, but these old cars, I don't know. Haha. It would be more something I’d hold onto for my one sister if she could find a place to store it. She seems to have quite an affection for it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, nick8086 said:

I think I have a nos Carb for it.. Not sure what box it is in from my move.. It was mark kaiser darrin .. but the numbers told me it for a jeep..

we gave this one away..

IMG_5191.JPG

I was about to look Nick up on the nos carb.

I kitted the carb but I was thinking that it was running lean at low speeds and it wouldn't adjust.

I raised the float level and its much smoother now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am no expert on these, but I was under the impression that the "Go Devil" engine was the flathead four.

This seller is representing this valve-in-head as such.

I have a really good repro parts catalogue for these that will have this info. I will have to look this up next time I am out in the storage.

This may not have its original engine as I was thinking that the first gen Jeepsters would be flatheads be it a four or a six.

Fun stuff !!

22 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I am no expert on these, but I was under the impression that the "Go Devil" engine was the flathead four.

This seller is representing this valve-in-head as such.

I have a really good repro parts catalogue for these that will have this info. I will have to look this up next time I am out in the storage.

This may not have its original engine as I was thinking that the first gen Jeepsters would be flatheads be it a four or a six.

Fun stuff !!

It looks like later model 4 cylinders had an F-head rather than an L, if I’m reading this correctly:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/1948-51-willys-jeepster/

I was curious what the reasonable cruising speed of these 4 cylinder Jeepsters with an overdrive was.  My ‘32 Plymouth has a similar horsepower (60)  L-Head four and runs nicely at around 45mph in 3rd (has no OD).  

Nice looking vehicle!

I see now that it was a mid year change in 1950 that was the L-head.

So the Hemmings car is not a Go Devil as advertised.

My flathead four with the overdrive will easily cruise at 55 or 60 and would go faster if pushed.

Not much for hills in OD but will maintain 50 or so on most any hill out of overdrive.

I always disconnect from over drive in city or slower country roads.

• 1 month later...