Rudge Whitworth 100 wrench, whats it for?

38rcdodge

Thanks for that info. 👍 Yup it does seem uncommon, particularly in the US, which makes it intriguing. as to it possibly being bent or modified, it    seems to be about 150mm across , and does seem pretty much round. but I'm guessing the 100 may mean a thread diameter, rather than overall?. 20190412_162443.thumb.jpg.a139816eaf17c771047dddf9084b29d4.jpg20190412_162641.thumb.jpg.4974c3fc0e0263943369d1348ee800f3.jpg

1 hour ago, Craig Gillingham said:

Rudge 100's aren't very common. Only some of the most expensive cars used them; some RR Silver Ghosts, the big Mercedes, big Peugeots. I don't know what US cars used Rudge 100.

L head Mercer ? Early 20's Cadillac ?

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DavidMc said:

Looks the same as the wrench for the 24" Rudge Whitworth wheels on my 1922 Packard 126 except that mine is marked 80 not 100

My early 20th century tool catalog calls these "spanners" not wrenches.   Funny the Brits call open and box end wrenches spanners.  Two countries separated by a common language.

6 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

The only wrench we have is the pipe wrench. The rest are spanners.

Here in the colony's what makes this thing a "spanner" is the little button inside the far end.

Like the thing you use to raise or lower your adjustable shock collars.

Q = So how does Spinney put his boot under his bonnet ?

Just asking ?

Mike in Colorado

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Here in the colony's what makes this thing a "spanner" is the little button inside the far end.

Like the thing you use to raise or lower your adjustable shock collars.

Q = So how does Spinney put his boot under his bonnet ?

Just asking ?

Mike in Colorado

Another that gets people going on this side of the world is the different uses of the word hood. 

To most on this side of the Pacific- mainly because of our mainly British heritage, and the fact that post WW2 British cars dominated our market - it is the convertible top.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

The bonnet is at the front. The boot is at the back. I would have to stand the car on end to put the boot under the bonnet. Or just wave my booted foot under the car.:lol:

I knew that !

Having grown up working @ a Morris Minor / MG /Jag dealership.

Though I really loved driving the boss's Singer convertible with the hood down.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

Maybe, it is a perfect half circle pretty much though, so I think the first photo may just make it look bent?. I probably didn't hold the camera straight. I found a round item about the same size, and posted a photo of it along side. as to being resized, it measures around 150mm across, but am not sure what a 100 wrench/spanner is supposed to measure.

Unfortunately that 100 mm designation does not refer to the size of the wrench opening like a conventional tool size does. It means that it fits the lock ring for what Rudge - Whitworth designates a 100 mm hub.  The opening of the wrench is definitely larger than 100 mm as you state and it should be. You need to find someone with a 100 mm lock nut and see if your wrench fits correctly or needs to be carefully reshaped. At the very least the end with the engagement pin looks to be bent outward. As I mentioned before the pin should point directly at the handle.

You probably know this already but there are two wrenches supplied. The C- spanner you have for the lock ring . And a somewhat similar but quite a bit smaller box end wrench to fit the octagon on the center cap. The center need not be removed to change a wheel. Only to service front wheel bearings , etc. 

The wrenches in general are reasonably valuable, but some sizes are comparatively common, in greater demand and probably command higher prices. The more uncommon sizes are probably a bit cheaper as there are fewer people looking for them. There are repro ones out there. Possibly superior in function but lazer cut from plate rather than a forging so not the same appearance at all. If memory serves me correctly I think they are around $250.00 each so I would think a decent original is at least in the same range.

Greg in Canada  

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Very good information, thanks Greg. yes I see in the photo above David posted how the ring is separate from the wheel nut.  on the second picture I posted above with it held against something round, does the pin area still look bent? it looks to me it could be slightly, yet it seems to fit the circle perfectly. yeah I saw some other similar ones for sale for about that price. makes sense with them being rather uncommon. this one came close to ending up in the dump or scrapped, no one knew what it was..I didn't either but thought it looked interesting.  

On 4/13/2019 at 12:43 PM, 1912Staver said:

L head Mercer ? Early 20's Cadillac ? 

Greg

I'm pretty sure L head Mercers use a Rudge 80 (same as a Packard), Cadillac -I don't know what size, although I'd like to find out. Crane-Simplex is another possibility, although I'm only guessing now.

• Like 1

I see in the photo above David posted how the ring is separate from the wheel nut. 

Just to be clear, that ring holds the wheel to the hub, that large hex headed piece with the logo is screwed into the hub center internal thread and is decorative only.

The rings are left hand thread on one side and RH on the other.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidMc said:

I see in the photo above David posted how the ring is separate from the wheel nut. 

Just to be clear, that ring holds the wheel to the hub, that large hex headed piece with the logo is screwed into the hub center internal thread and is decorative only.

Thanks for making that clear. it makes sense looking at it. what I assumed is it was some sort of thing where the two are tightened against each other in some way . the only thing similar I have experience with Was an MG that was in the family as a kid. it had spoke wheels held on with a large nut. I remember it quite well because one came off on the freeway once. not something one forgets.😁 

10 hours ago, DavidMc said:

Yes David you are absolutely correct . Only the ring needs to be removed to remove a wheel, I don't know what I was thinking when I said the center needs to be removed as well. 

Post amended .

Greg