Sidemount covers? 1935 DB model DU

• 2 weeks later...

If you look in your parts book you might find out. The pre-1934 book shows fabric tire covers, export only for DP and DO. Metal tire covers were offered for side and rear, apparently made by "Clayton Lambert". DP, DQ, DO Canadian made had different part numbers. DQ Canadian made used Lyons covers.

So what does your 1935 parts book show?

1 hour ago, dep5 said:

The tire cover is listed as an accessory so it is a total stretch on your part to say that fender mounted spare tires came with metal tire covers.

Read down a little further and you will find fabric tire covers were offered as well.

Oh....I should have said could.  

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

If you look in your parts book you might find out. The pre-1934 book shows fabric tire covers, export only for DP and DO. Metal tire covers were offered for side and rear, apparently made by "Clayton Lambert". DP, DQ, DO Canadian made had different part numbers. DQ Canadian made used Lyons covers.

So what does your 1935 parts book show?

If that is directed at me, I just bought the car and DON'T HAVE the book.  So I asked.  Okay?

3 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

If that is directed at me, I just bought the car and DON'T HAVE the book.  So I asked.  Okay?

That should be your first search and purchase along with a shop manual, an operators manual and any period literature.

I had all three for every antique, vintage and new car that I ever owned.

Using the search function here and on the home page can help you with almost anything.  Most/many questions have been asked over and over.

Looks like a great car, nice that you included a picture and model and year with your question.

Good luck with your new vehicle.

So glad Reg posted that price list.

Think I'll run right down to my friendly Mopar dealer and order a set of imprinted side mount covers for my CG and tell the parts guy they are only $15.00 each.

Don't think I'll stay and wait for the guys in the white coats though.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/31/2019 at 4:59 AM, StillOutThere said:

On a 1935 Dodge Bros Model DU,  were side mount covers standard equip when sidemounts were ordered or were they additional at extra cost.  Car I purchased does not have covers and seller says it has never had them to his knowledge (family car).   Thanks

IMG_4096.JPG

Very few even had sidemounts that was a special order, they came with spare at rear of car kind of a continental kit look

On 3/31/2019 at 4:59 AM, StillOutThere said:

On a 1935 Dodge Bros Model DU,  were side mount covers standard equip when sidemounts were ordered or were they additional at extra cost.  Car I purchased does not have covers and seller says it has never had them to his knowledge (family car).   Thanks

IMG_4096.JPG

They were special order, standard was spare on rear trunk continental kit like style

While my area of specialization is 34s, the sidemount hardware on the 35 is very similar.  Note (from what I see in the picture) is the standard 'tire hold down' piece and it is not really shaped like the top of a tire (600-16 I believe on the 35).  That is because it is shaped to fit the top of the metal covers.  I have seen lots of 35 Dodge sales literature and I have never seen sidemounts shown without the covers.  In fact, with the exception of coupes and some sedans, most had gone to enclosed trunks with space for the spare in the trunk.  The only model I have ever seen in ads with sidemounts is the convertible coupe, and it shows covers in place.  There is a 35 Dodge Parts book for sale on ebay right now.

Again, looking only at what I have (34 Dodge) insofar as parts books, the 34 Dodge parts book does list metal sidemount covers for the DR and DS models but only in the 'Accessory' portion of the parts book.  The welled fenders themselves are listed in the main parts listing with the remainder of the front fenders.  

Wayne, just hit the AACA library. If I can add to the confusion you know I will. ALL the factory pictures of 1935 DB fender mount spares show metal covers, none have fabric. Even the rear mounted ones have metal covers. But you know, as I do, the factory ads are not always accurate to what they built. A salesman's handbook may have the answer. We don't have one and neither does AACA. There are two different owner's manuals but they were no help. Email me your address and I will send you the 3 pictures I scanned. One is even a nice Convertible Coupe.

I’m sending a pic of the build sheet of my 36 Dodge that had factory dual sidemounts. I know you’re talking 35 but I believe they were identical and the paperwork says “2 wells” and nothing else so you gotta think steel covers came with.IMG_0306.jpeg.5a92fa761c63ff9ef21f8c2abe6d06f5.jpeg