56' Buick Special No Spark [HELP]

Jereld

I recently purchased a 1956 Buick Special all original. It's currently in the process of getting painted, but i really want to get it running before i paint it. While doing a little diagnosing I found out the engine didn't have any spark. Not knowing too much about points ignition I replaced the coil, spark plugs, wires, condenser, and bought a new set of points. I gapped the points accordingly but still no spark. Did some more research and found an article about the wiring to the coil and distributor. To make a longer story short my distributor is actually shorting to ground and causing the issue. Im not sure where to go from here, is the distributor bad? 

While there,  check the wires inside the distributor.  They may be original wires where the insulation is dry and breaking off, causing the wires to short to the plate the points are attached to.  

Jereld, I agree with John. It`s plain to see the rubbing block of the points is not touching the high point of the cam. While the dist. is removed, turn the shaft, are the points opening/closing? It won`t trigger the coil if points are staying closed. Correctly set the points, with rubbing block of the points on the high point of the cam, gap the points at .017, then reinstall. Also check the shaft for any sideways movement(like a bad bushing)this could affect the point setting. Also when tightening the set screw of the points, it will sometimes "move", altering the gap setting.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Jereld, where did you measure the gap?

I agree with all of you guys about the points not touching the cam. when i removed the distributor i removed everything out of the distributor examining wires and things (even took out the breaker plate) thats why the points are like that. I am in the process of reinstalling the distributor because at this point i don't think the distributor itself is the issue, maybe the new set of points i bought are bad or maybe the insulation block is bad im not sure. Ill get with you guys and let you know what i figure out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1