Passing Thru Help

kclark

I am heading to an area east of Harrisburg, PA between Lancaster and Lebanon. I am heading from Charlotte, NC. I am picking up a '66 Mustang Coupe from the original owners. I am staying on the north side of Harrisburg/Hershey overnight right of I-81. I am actually staying directly across the street from CJ Pony Parts as I am picking up a couple of things that I can't get at my local National Parts Depot.  I plan to be at CJ Pony at 8:00 am the next morning and then I'm going to try to fit in the AACA Museum on the way to pick up the car. I am sure I can't see everything but I want to at least stop by. My dad is super excited to ride along with me. For those of you that either live in the area or have been frequently, can you recommend a good steak and seafood restaurant that is not a chain like Roadhouse or Red Lobster?

Also, are there any good parts places along the way I might need to stop by? I am looking for a nice Factory Under Dash Evaporator for either a '65 or a '66 model.

Edited by kclark (see edit history)

I think it might be a good idea to also post under General Discussion. You will probably have more exposure there. I hope you and your dad have a safe and productive trip. Also hope you find the ideal "surf and turf" dinner. In my long distance cruising days, I had a technique for finding good eats in unfamiliar territory. Find a place which has not been remodeled in at least a generation or  two. Next, check the parking lot. If it is full of Buicks or better, there you will eat well.                Bon appetite,     -    Cruisin'  Cadillac Carl 

P.S. The above advice regarding restaurants comes with an apology to my good Buick friends. They know nothing is better than a Buick.

You may want to try Troegs Independent Brewing at 200 Hersheypark Drive.  Phone 717-534-1297 and Troegs.com.  Gets lots of good reviews.  Never been their myself but friends have and like it a lot.

If you trip across a steakhouse named Hoss’s it might be a place to eat. When we lived a bit west of Hershey we loved it, but that was 20 years ago now (yikes)...

if you want to try going west before south, there’s the Swigart museum in Huntingdon PA that would be a great stop if it’s open this time of year. 

• Like 1

Our MG Club tour chairman simply googles "best restaurants" then discards the chain outfits. We've never been disappointed.  When we're in the Hershey area we normally go for Italian as there are plenty of fantastic choices.  I spent some time at Troegs during the Hershey fall meet. Good beer, but their food I though was kinda "new age."  I think the restaurant called The Mill right in Hershey gets good reviews.  It's got some great atmosphere but is a bit more upscale than I'm used to, and it's a bit on the expensive side. 

I've never eaten at the Devon Seafood and Steak restaurant on Chocolate Ave in Hershey but heard it's good.  You can check their reviews on Trip Advisor. 

Since we live right near the ocean here in Chesapeake I've just not eaten sea-food inland.  There may be some good choices but it just makes sense to me that the further away from the ocean you get, the less chance there is of finding good seafood.  Anxious to here what others say!  

As far as Hoss's, I stopped in one (it's a chain) while traveling a couple of years ago.  Figured a steakhouse might have some killer ribs, but was I ever wrong!  No ribs on the menu.  The salad bar looked like it was a week old and the only decent looking picture on the menu was a nice big think burger.  I was a victim of the old "bait and switch" and it was the worst burger I've ever had.  Sent it back, left and ate at Subway!

Enjoy your trip - we'll see you at the Charlotte Auto Fair

Terry

• Like 1

Getting late to make recommendations but Hoss’s seems to be better than it was in the past.  I was at the local one yesterday here in Lititz and the menu has changed and the food was good especially at the price point they offer.  Troegs is indeed more new age than I realized, my friends must do more drinking than eating!

1. Every year at Hershey time a large group of Hudson Essex Terraplane people meet and eat at Hoss in 
Carlisle, very good food and time.

2. Stop and visit the Classic Auto Mall. right off the turnpike. Morgantown Pa.

Free admission, a nice place to see old original vehicles and vehicles for sale.

888-227-0914

Morgantown Pa.

https://www.classicautomall.com/

I am not affiliated with this place but have enjoyed visiting when ever in the area.