"The car that General Motors never built"

Barney Eaton

Did that get your attention?   That statement is part of an ad in Hemmings for a 1991 Reatta convertible.   I don't know who their marketing guy is but the hype on this car is misleading and incorrect.

How did the car get built if General Motors never built it?   They also say it is 1 of 1,  but records show there were 7 black convertibles made with red interior and black vinyl tops,  so why would this be 1 of 1?   See the attached link to Trobys memory lane and note that they say that the car is longer and wider than the production cars.

While they did not list the vin,  it is probably 900622 the last 1991 convertible built.

Take a look at the link below and see how they have twisted the information.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/reatta/2230557.html

For the asking price, they didn't spend much on the photography, low resolution, aside from the misleading and incorrect description. Maybe the unclear photos are to make it appear like it really isn't there?

You would think a name like Hemmings would respect some honesty and research in it's advertising.🤨

15 minutes ago, Kevin M said:

Drunk me last weekend contacted them last week Since I’m about a half hour away. Haven’t heard back but I’d like to at least look at it. 😜

Drunk just looking may have added a vert to my two car collection. Just saying.😄

Marck Barker also posted this car in His Facebook group he is admin of, that’s  where I saw it. But I agree that the photos are lacking for hemmings. I am close enough to look at the car for anyone that would like too. I would consider it myself if the price was half of what they want but I hope they get it. I think for that low miles of a 91 it is worth it. 

It is very hard to track the sale and pricing of the low mileage/high priced cars.    You never know if the seller is "testing the water" or is serious about the price.   

That car was sold at auction back during the GM bankruptcy (2008?) seems like we should know what it sold for at that time.   Many of the cars that GM sold did not have titles because they were actually show cars or prototypes with enough changes that they did not meet the production rules.   The Hemmings ad says it is a 1 of 1 prototype convertible,  if it is 900622, the last convertible built, how could it be considered a prototype?

Most of us would not want a 300 mile car....we would be afraid adding miles would depreciate the value.......and our wives would not allow us to buy a car that we would not drive.

My most recent knowledge of a low mileage car was a 1991 Maui blue convertible with 11K......the seller ask  $25,000 and it was purchased for $17,000.

13 hours ago, Retired w/Reatta said:

You would think a name like Hemmings would respect some honesty and research in it's advertising.🤨

Do you realize how many thousands of car ads a year Hemming publishes, it would be impossible 

• Like 1

Interesting discussion at least.    The concept of value is always the key.  I own one of the earliest Reattas left and it is has

virtually no value. It runs and drives - not a show car like this one - and might be worth $1000 on a good day.  This convertible is obviously quite nice and collector grade.  You buy it because you want to collect an automotive artifact, like a fine painting by a master.  I somewhat disagree with Barney.  You can drive it occasionally because the mileage won't rack up fast and you would still own the last convertible no matter the mileage.  If it had 75,000 miles or so, yes that would devalue it but you could drive it 1000 miles a year for 10 years and still sell it having less than 11,000 well sorted miles.  No matter what, whoever buys it is going to be careful with it's ownership.  

The homogeneity of the Reatta - to me - means this is no more special than the cars we own.  We own a Reatta for it's shape and driving pleasure, it's interesting 2 seat architecture and so on.   To put it another way, if there was another Black and Red 1990 or 1991 Reatta convertible with 50,000 well maintained miles for $10,000, would you pay a near $30,000 premium to own the last one?  For most of us, probably not. (If we had the money and space we might buy 3 more cool $10,000 Reattas!)

Is it a $30,000 car?  Maybe. But as we know the buyer pool will be extremely small and likely made up of collectors who can afford to lose money on a Reatta purchase.  Would be fun to follow the car.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

Jake.......glad you somewhat disagree.........if we all thought the same,  we would still be driving black model "T's"

Another way of viewing this issue,   I hope the car sells for $30K.......that is sure to raise the prices in places like Old Cars Value Guide for all Reattas

Good input Tom.........not sure that would make them worth more at an auction.   

Another note......900589 was one of the cars donated to tech schools........it first went to Webber State university in UT, then was redonated/transferred to Bingham high school in S. jordan UT

14 hours ago, tbenvie said:

Highest VIN, but not last one made:

image.png.dbd9ebb39ae9c87adc5346c16704416a.png

I own 621. I had come across similar info on build dates in my digging before. Good to know. 

Looks like my 91 Reatta convertible truly was the last one to roll off the line. 

• Like 1

I checked some other manifest that I have copies of and that is just a line on the form.....if it were a Canadian export car, there would be a 3 digit code below the line.

Also on the right,  the things you can read,  there would be some Canada only items there.