100 years of citroen

sebastienbuick

Hello, this weekend in my village we celebrate 100 years of citroen.
There are several vehicles expected at this meeting and a Citroen tractor from 1919.
Today (Friday), they are preparing the room.
Here is a photo in the newspaper and a photo of the preparation of the room for this weekend

20190215_092823.thumb.jpg.41e2cdaf7ecd732cfe3bea58698a32e6.jpg

mms_img10944239731.thumb.jpg.c6832dc7b895bf8a06a564261b7c2a10.jpg

Normally I will go there Saturday and Sunday, I will make pictures and I put it on the forum :) 
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, new Citroens haven't been officially sold in the U.S. and Canada since 1973, thanks to the 5-mph bumper regulations,  I recall our local dealer was one of many who met with the North American head office to get Citroen to build and certify a new model to comply, but in the end, figured the time and the cost was too much, and pulled out of the U.S. and Canadian market instead.

Craig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Unfortunately, new Citroens haven't been officially sold in the U.S. and Canada since 1973, thanks to the 5-mph bumper regulations,  I recall our local dealer was one of many who met with the North American head office to get Citroen to build and certify a new model to comply, but in the end, figured the time and the cost was too much, and pulled out of the U.S. and Canadian market instead.

Craig

It's unfortunate that the citroen car market is stopping in America, there were then still many Citroen models from 1970 to 2019 ;) 
The Citroen BX in the 80/90 year was the sequel to the Citroen DS at the time, and now it's the Citroen C6

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

A shame, they were fabulous cars, but very difficult to maintain without a dealer/service network.

I owned a 2CV, a DS-21, and an SM at one time.  Fascinating cars....

Indeed it was very good car, here in France we easily find citroen parts and we can easily restore a citroen.
As for example this store in France or you can even buy a new frame for a citroen mehari, ...

The camera is charging, I'm ready for tomorrow :) 

On 2/15/2019 at 7:55 AM, trimacar said:

A shame, they were fabulous cars, but very difficult to maintain without a dealer/service network.

I owned a 2CV, a DS-21, and an SM at one time.  Fascinating cars....

David is correct,

having also owned the very same 1964 435cc 2-CV, 1972 SM, and both 1971 DS-21 Station Wagons,

my wife and I also owned a 1966 DS-21 Station Wagon, a DS-21 sedan, a DS-21 Pallas, a Mehari, and an Ami-6 with the 602cc "Big Block"

These cars were a hoot, surprisingly dependable and comfortable, economical, and quite the attention getter. The SM was amazingly fast, cruising at 156 mph between New Orleans and Baton Rouge - the 2-CV averaged up to 55 mpg when treated properly, the D-Series cars and wagons were our everyday drivers between 1969 and 1979, and the little 2 cylinder cars were our daily commuters.

I did the basic maintenance and repair myself, and there was no problem maintaining when Jack Looney had his dealership in New Orleans. Then we moved to Ft. Wayne, Indiana and had to go to Madison, Wisconsin for Carl Drake to handle the heavy stuff - especially since we had no garage and winters were bitter cold for working outside. THe next move to Richmond, Virginia didn't really make life easier for the following 5 years, but we did return to New Orleans and again had great service. 

I missed out on a beautiful 1965 DS-19 Citroen Chapron convertible which Jack later bought, restored and sold to our friend Richard who later sold it for a fortune. 

Amazing cars and amazing history of both the vehicles and Andre Citroen, the chevron-shaped gear tooth, his mid-engined front wheel drive cars, with design and engineering which were decades ahead of the rest of the world.

PS: The 1965 Chapron which got away is the one pictured below:

CITROEN CHAPRON.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A couple of weeks ago during a break in the winter weather here in Lancaster County PA I saw a car similar to the one in the newspaper.  The distinctive grill was the give away as to being a Citroen.  Quite a surprise to see it out in my local area.  Later I learned it’s part of a collection of various foreign autos owned by a collector whose garage warehouse was nearby.  Sure wish I had a camera along with me that day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

The SM was amazingly fast, cruising at 156 mph between New Orleans and Baton Rouge

Well, you beat me, I only had it up to about 110 mph. Of course, on the same stretch of road!  Sitting in the car at that speed, you felt like you were out for a leisurely Sunday drive, it was an amazing car on the road.  Fastest I've been on four wheels.

I once had a good friend drive it while I was the passenger, we were also on an Interstate.  I casually mentioned he might slow down a tad, since it was a well known police patrolled area.  He didn't realize he was going over 90, he thought he was at 60 or so.....

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, 1937hd45 said:

When I saw the winged lemon on a 1920's Citroen radiator cap at the Mullin collection I couldn't help wondering if this inspired the Von Dutch flying eyeball. 

Bob 

afcb0535dbc4c75765e5fca61f0da339.jpg

Had to laugh over this one, as well -

I believe the winged-lemon is a play on words, the CITRON related to the CITROEN,

and no, Citroen vehicles are NEVER lemons, at least in my opinion -

wish I had that Chapron convertible I missed out on in the picture I posted earlier

• Like 1