1935 - car crushed between two trams

Saltbush

Truth (Brisbane, Qld.) Sun 9 Jun 1935, Page 26

FIT to qualify with honors as chief of the city's traffic "death traps" is the McLachlan and Brunswick streets intersection in the Valley, where the third serious accident in the last few months nearly resulted in a fatality last Tuesday morning. Swerving to avoid a Valley-bound tram as he came out of Lachlan-street, A. P. Wynne, driving a sports model car, and carrying E. Rockett, of Brown-street, New Farm, as passenger, ran into the jaws of that tram and another going in the opposite direction. Yet, by a miracle, both men escaped, unhurt when the machine was sandwiched completely between the running boards of the two trams. A traffic policeman is now stationed there at peak hours. He "arrived" yesterday.

This image showing a car crushed between two trams was published in the Truth on 9 June 1935. The accident occurred at the intersection of McLachlan and Brunswick streets in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. Surprisingly the driver Mr A.P. Wynne and his passenger E. Rockett survived the ordeal.

In an interview with the Truth, Wynne described how the accident occurred.

“I thought I was a certainty to be killed. It was all a matter of seconds. As I came out of McLachlan Street I suddenly saw the tram coming from New Farm, and swung to the right so that I’d be going with it and not against it when we struck. Then I found myself running straight for the other tram. The car was right in its way. I jerked the wheel again to the left, and stepped on the gas, intending to shoot across the street between the trams. It was a pretty slim chance, the only thing to do. I said to Rockett, “Now for a real smash.” Then we got it. I don’t remember. But I found myself still whole, and sitting in the car, with Mr. Rockett still alongside”.

Can someone identify the sandwiched vehicle?

crushed.jpg

crushed2.jpg

Edited by Saltbush (see edit history)

"First vehicle registered in 1935 was Q195-315 and the first in 1936 was Q216-215. This vehicle was new in the year 1935. Roadster was probably European, possibly a F.I.A.T. or a Citroen, The trams were the first electric trams in Brisbane known as match box design."

"the president of the Eisteddfod Council (Mr A. P. Wynne, Maryborough)"

All about Mr. Wynne:
Edited by Saltbush (see edit history)

It may have been a new registration in Queensland in 1935, but the car dates from 1929-30.  (Flat front radiator and exposed dog bone radiator cap.  Single centre mounted tail light also from that period.)

On 2/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, Saltbush said:

A similar accident happened in Vienna in March 1912,  the sandwiched car beeing  a three-wheeled Phänomobil. 

This image showing a car crushed between two trams was published in the Truth on 9 June 1935. The accident occurred at the intersection of McLachlan and Brunswick streets in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. Surprisingly the driver Mr A.P. Wynne and his passenger E. Rockett survived the ordeal.

crushed.jpg

crushed2.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, sagefinds said:

I never saw a Chevy that era with 4-lug disc wheels,is that stock or maybe a Nash light 6?Durant?Overland? front axle?

If you are referring to the hub bolts I think the earlier ones were four bolt and the later ones five.