1960s car sales TV add.

Joe in Canada

What ever happened to the honest car sales people like there was back in the 60s.

Ever have a sales person that you were not sure of. Like a 1930 LaSalle I seen in a shop that was bought by a fellow at Hershey. Told it was restored but inside the rear axle housing was total rust.  

WARNING!!  Now there is some coarse language here.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

In 1968 Ralph opened up a new Chrysler Dealership (North Seattle Chrysler Plymouth) a couple miles from my N. Seattle parents home.

I was 16 then and had my 51 Plymouth. So of course I'd have to go in there and check out the cars and parts dept.

His loud crazy ads were on TV with him and his dog Storm.

Oh those were the days of good TV ads..

This is making the rounds again after about a 10-year hiatus.  Some of the transmittal emails claim it was actually on the air -- ONCE, but I doubt it, due to the "take stick" used for multiple takes.  I think this was a warm-up take to get his stereotypically obnoxious-car-salesman juices flowing properly.

I grew up in the Bay Area and saw a lot of Ralph Williams himself ("the bald-headed SOB") on his commercials, equally obnoxious as this guy, but I was abroad (Vietnam) at the time of the commercial.

This ad never would have  played on the air. My Uncle, still well at 93, was the weatherman on a local NBC affiliate. Some time in the late '60's or early '70's he somehow managed to say it was "cold as Hell" outside. He very nearly lost his job. He had to appear before an FCC standards committee.  He never has told us what disciplinary measures they took but he was very careful what he said after that.

This commercial must have been at least partial inspiration for the 1980 movie, "Used Cars", starring Kurt Russell, Jack Warden, et al.  If you enjoyed the commercial unearthed by Joe in Canada, you'll really like this movie.  I have the DVD of "Used Cars" and watch it every year or so, and I still LMAO!

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Williams was a west coast phenomena  but even an easterner had heard of him. Know there are good people but personally tend to lump car salesmen, lawyers (educated car salesmen), and politicians (rich car salesmen) together. One of my favorite quips is "Anyone who wants to be a politician shouldn't."