1964 Dual Quad Electra Production Numbers

bjfox1970

How do you know that that was even a factory option on a '64 Electra, at all?  Wildcat, yes.  Electra, no.  

Buick did have a 2x4bbl 425 V-8 in 1964, but like other "performance" engines, it was not available across-the-board, but ONLY in particular model lines.  The Wildcat, as the "performance-oriented" Buick, was where it was available.  Even with w 4-speed manual trans.  Also in the Riviera GS, too, possibly, in 1964?  But no LeSabres or Electras, as they were not performance-oriented vehicles.  Not to say that some might have been "dealer-installed", but not "factory-ordered" on non-Wildcats.

Just some observations,

NTX5467

13 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

How do you know that that was even a factory option on a '64 Electra, at all?  Wildcat, yes.  Electra, no.  

Buick did have a 2x4bbl 425 V-8 in 1964, but like other "performance" engines, it was not available across-the-board, but ONLY in particular model lines.  The Wildcat, as the "performance-oriented" Buick, was where it was available.  Even with w 4-speed manual trans.  Also in the Riviera GS, too, possibly, in 1964?  But no LeSabres or Electras, as they were not performance-oriented vehicles.  Not to say that some might have been "dealer-installed", but not "factory-ordered" on non-Wildcats.

Just some observations,

NTX5467

No Gran Sport (GS) in 1964. But there was an A8 coded engine option - Super Wildcat w/ dual four barrel carbs.  Production code for that engine in 1964 was KX, which will be found stamped on the machined surface - passenger's side - where the valley cover sits.  The Engine Serial number, which will be stamped on the machined surface on the driver's side, will match the vehicle's VIN.  

The illustration below shows a Production Code Number -  M = 1966, T=401 (the other numbers are inconsequential, they have to do with shift identification)

Engine Serial Number - 464376H100001  4=Buick. 64=Wildcat, 37=2dr Hardtop, 6=1966, H=Flint, and the 100001 is the unique vehicle number which matches stamped number on VIN tag.

453867233_Nailheadproductioncodestamping.jpg.aad52e4f60738830df125bbda96e5099.jpg

Theoretically, a 1964 Electra four door hardtop equipped with the A8 engine option should have these numbers stamped into the block

Production Code - K=1964, X=Super Wildcat A8 engine.

Engine Serial Number - 8K?XXXXXX.  8=Electra 225, K=1964, ?=Assembly plant, XXXXXX=unique vehicle number which matches VIN on cowl tag.

Further investigation would reveal intake manifold casting numbers and carburetor code numbers which would substantiate yeah or nay as far as being authentic.

• Like 2

I was over at Ben's house today after he'd unloaded it and got it into the garage.  Without a fact sheet, we think that we got the data plate decoded and figured out what other options are on the car; it's really loaded. 

This will be one really car in which to do some cruising.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:20 PM, NTX5467 said:

Thanks for those verifications.  I didn't remember a Riv GS in '64, but knew they were in later model years.

NTX5467

You are correct.  The A8 engine  (Super Wildcat) was part of the A9 option (Gran Sport) in 1965 but the A8 engine was a stand alone option in '64.  In 64, the BS transmission (Gran Sport) was not available, and positraction was an additional option. 1965 was also the first year for the Buick Rally wheel to be available on the Riviera. The ST400 in 1964 had only D and L on the shifter quadrant even though it was a 3 speed automatic transmission.  

• Like 1

Nice find!!

I agree with some of the other posters here, that GM did a small number of factory installations, or 'deviations' such as color or interior trim changes that did not appear on the regular production option list. That car will really turn heads at a muscle cars show, especially MCACN with that dual-quad setup.

Craig 

build date  01E  5th week Jan 1964
style 64-4839  FB11069
TRIM 642  LL  2
ACC  EXNYSM-2KR-3E-4F-5Z

642 - silver cloth/vinyl
LL - Claret Mist Paint  2 - Black Vinyl Top
E-Tinted windows
X-PWR Windows
N-Pwr Vent Windows
y- 6way power seat
S-Remote Trunk Release
M-Power Locks?
2K-A/C
2R-Rear Speaker
3E-Rear Arm Rest??
4F-Remote Mirror  
5Z-Seat Belts

Non Fisher Options

Cruise Control
Guidematic Headlamps
Wonderbar AM w/pwr antennna
Conering Lamps
KX motor
Tilt Wheel

Not sure how the remote passenger mirror got there.....dealer install??

Info Ed(RivNut) and I have come up with so far.  Question marks are best guesses......

1965 Dual Quad Production Numbers (From another post)

617 for all series 8000 (1965)

_14 8237 (2 Door)
_13 8239 (4-Door Hardtop)
_16 8269 (4-Door Sedan)
_91 8437 (2-Door Custom)
314__ 8439 (4-Door Custom Hardtop)
123__ 8467 Convertibles
_46__8469 (4-door Custom Sedan)

(from Daily Car Report, Buick Motor Division, 08-24-65, pp 230-269, courtesy of the Sloan Museum, Flint, MI)

I was surprised to see the 4 door hardtop had the most Dual Quad installs.

Still need to find '64 production numbers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bjfox1970 said:

16 8269 (4-Door Sedan)

(from Daily Car Report, Buick Motor Division, 08-24-65, pp 230-269, courtesy of the Sloan Museum, Flint, MI)

I wonder how many were police cars.

Craig

11 hours ago, bjfox1970 said:

Non Fisher Options

Cruise Control
Guidematic Headlamps
Conering Lamps
KX motor
Tilt Wheel

Info Ed(RivNut) and I have come up with so far.  Question marks are best guesses......

I suspect it was a dealer install.  I didn't see RH remote rearview mirrors until the 1970's.

I suspect it is also equipped with the Safety Minder speedometer with the yellow needle.  A good number of full-size Buicks had that option.  Does it have a power (vacuum) trunk release?

Craig

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I suspect it was a dealer install.  I didn't see RH remote rearview mirrors until the 1970's.

I suspect it is also equipped with the Safety Minder speedometer with the yellow needle.  A good number of full-size Buicks had that option.  Does it have a power (vacuum) trunk release?

Craig

Agreed, the RH remote mirror is a 63-64 era mirror that has had the bezel rotated so it can be mounted on the passenger's side.

The "yellow needle" is not a speed minder.  It's the device used to set the speed at which you want the cruise control to operate.  Electro-cruise "cruise control" units were in the back of the speedometer head.  You set the yellow needle to the desired speed and in the back of the speedometer are two probes which will send an Electro signal to the cruise unit to speed up or slow down.  When the speedometer reaches the speed you've determined with the yellow needle, you engage the Electo-cruise switch.  If the speedometer needle goes back (slowing down)  an Electro signal is sent to speed the car up.  If the needle goes forward (speeding up) an Electro signal is sent to slow the car down.  You cannot add Electro-cruise to a car with a regular speedometer head. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

The "yellow needle" is not a speed minder.  It's the device used to set the speed at which you want the cruise control to operate.  Electro-cruise "cruise control" units were in the back of the speedometer head.  You set the yellow needle to the desired speed and in the back of the speedometer are two probes which will send an Electro signal to the cruise unit to speed up or slow down.  When the speedometer reaches the speed you've determined with the yellow needle, you engage the Electo-cruise switch.  If the speedometer needle goes back (slowing down)  an Electro signal is sent to speed the car up.  If the needle goes forward (speeding up) an Electro signal is sent to slow the car down.  You cannot add Electro-cruise to a car with a regular speedometer head. 

ONLY on cars equipped with Cruise Control does it have that secondary feature of monitoring the set speed.

If the car is not equipped with Cruise Control, or if it has Cruise Control and it is turned OFF, where the yellow needle is set at a predetermined speed,  it makes an audible buzz when it is exceeded by the red speedo needle.

Craig

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

ONLY on cars equipped with Cruise Control does it have that secondary feature of monitoring the set speed.

If the car is not equipped with Cruise Control, or if it has Cruise Control and it is turned OFF, where the yellow needle is set at a predetermined speed,  it makes an audible buzz when it is exceeded by the red speedo needle.

Craig

As far as I know, it's either speed minder or Cruise control; not both.  I know that my dad drove his 63 Wildcat across Wyoming and kept moving the speed alert up because it was annoying. When he finally got pulled over for doing 93, he decided that the buzzer was a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Yes, they were, but I wonder how many (if any at all) actually had a dual-quad setup.

Craig

The base engine for the Lesabre was the 300.  A 401 with the Power Pack was probably about as big as you could get in the Lesabre.

My '63 Riviera is equipped with cruise, and I've had it into the 90's and probably higher when passing other cars and with my cruise needle set at 70, it's never buzzed at me.  And I rarely used the cruise control on this car so I know that it was off.

• Haha 1

Nice find!  It just goes to show what was possible when checking-off option boxes on a GM order sheet back in the 60's.  There's a Pontiac guy about 5 miles from me who showed me a plain-Jane 1964 Catalina 4-door sedan he found long forgotten in a barn about 45 minutes away.  He opened the hood revealing a bone-stock 389 tri-power.  Just about anything was possible...

On 2/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, bjfox1970 said:

build date  01E  5th week Jan 1964
style 64-4839  FB11069
TRIM 642  LL  2
ACC  EXNYSM-2KR-3E-4F-5Z

642 - silver cloth/vinyl
LL - Claret Mist Paint  2 - Black Vinyl Top
E-Tinted windows
X-PWR Windows
N-Pwr Vent Windows
y- 6way power seat
S-Remote Trunk Release
M-Power Locks?
2K-A/C
2R-Rear Speaker
3E-Rear Arm Rest??
4F-Remote Mirror  
5Z-Seat Belts

Non Fisher Options

Cruise Control
Guidematic Headlamps
Conering Lamps
KX motor
Tilt Wheel

Very cool car in my favorite colors!... 3E on your Fisher plate is for "lower crash pad". This is the lower dash trim on the passenger side. Probably standard with your interior trim code.

You are correct regarding your guess about the "M" code as it signifies "vacuum operated door locks".

Tom Mooney

On 2/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, bjfox1970 said:

617 for all series 8000 (1965)

_14 8237 (2 Door)
_13 8239 (4-Door Hardtop)
_16 8269 (4-Door Sedan)
_91 8437 (2-Door Custom)
314__ 8439 (4-Door Custom Hardtop)
123__ 8467 Convertibles
_46__8469 (4-door Custom Sedan)

I was surprised to see the 4 door hardtop had the most Dual Quad installs.

Still need to find '64 production numbers

BJ,

Call the Sloan museum. They should have The Daily Car Reports for the `64 models. Be forewarned they are re-arranging the museum currently and service may be very slow, I currently have a request into them...

Tom Mooney

On 2/7/2019 at 1:17 PM, 8E45E said:

Craig

Not on `64 cars...when the cruise option was ordered the speed minder feature was omitted,

Tom Mooney

7 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Not on `64 cars...when the cruise option was ordered the speed minder feature was omitted,

Tom Mooney

Thanks for the clarification on '64 models.  I believe it wasn't omitted on later cars equipped with Cruise Control, correct?

Don't forget to look at the January, 2019 'Classic American' magazine.  A beautiful 1965 Riviera is shown on the cover and many more excellent photos of it inside.

Craig

• 8 months later...

My '64 Electra convertible as far as I know is fully optioned with a dual quad 425, RH mirror, cruise, A/C etc. I haven't had it on the road much since the restore but I do know the buzzer does not sound when I go faster than the indicator on the speedo. 

As far as I know these options came with the car because my dad always said he ordered it that way 

7 minutes ago, cobravii said:

My '64 Electra convertible as far as I know is fully optioned with a dual quad 425, RH mirror, cruise, A/C etc. I haven't had it on the road much since the restore but I do know the buzzer does not sound when I go faster than the indicator on the speedo. 

As far as I know these options came with the car because my dad always said he ordered it that way 

Check the Engine Production Code number.  Should be K for 1964 and X for the Super Wiodcat engine - dual four barrel carbs.  If you have nothing else to do, look at the number on each carburetor and the number on the band on the distributor.  Post them and someone will tell you if they're correct.

• 1 month later...

Interesting topics guys, and thanks for bringing it up! Do any know how many cars where delivered with the KX Option in 64? I know there is a number of 2122 for Rivera, question then how many Electra, Wildcat and Lesabre Estate wagon?
The Estate wagon had this option since it was built on the Wildcat platform it could handle bought the weight and power! 

There is not many 100 % complete engine assy``s left with matching numbers carburetors etc. I got hold of one some months ago, and I feel it`s like an great art piece.
BIG Question, to keep, restore or to sell?  

Thanks

Joern

s-l1600.jpg