Resistor spark plugs okay ?

Kestrel

I was unable to get an answer in another AACA forum so I'm trying here. Anyone know if resistor plugs (AC R46) together with carbon core plug wires would deliver sufficient  spark on a stock 6v ignition system ?

The car is a '51 Buick, 263 cu in, 6volt system that called for AC 46 plugs originally. I can not find any of those but did find a set of NOS AC R46. 

Just wondering if sufficient voltage will get through to fire the plugs properly. I got around 5k Ohms testing the resistor plugs.  I don't know these  cars had solid core wires originally but mine have been replaced with modern carbon core wires. 

Also, if running the resistor plugs, could it increase or decrease the recommended gap  ?

Thanks guys !

Carbon core were in there when I bought the car last fall. Included was a receipt showing a local shop replaced the wires, points, etc. The prior owner was not a car guy so I imagine they put it what was readily available.

Do you know if these cars had copper wire wires originally ?

Here is a link to where you can buy AC - 46 spark plugs:   https://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-ac-spark-plug-46.html

The Green Spark Plug Company LTD is in the UK, but shipping was reasonable and fast when I bought a few things from them 2 years ago.

For USA customers you would not pay the VAT so they come out the 2.71 pounds each which at the current exchange rate of $1.30 per Pound come out to $3.53 each

Edited by Vila
spelling error, missed an i (see edit history)

The use or resistor plugs, plug wires and distributor rotors with resistors were used to reduce ignition noise in the car radio.  I would not use all three resistance units.   I run resistor plugs with copper strand wires and a non-resistor rotor in my 53 Buick Special with the 263 straight eight and have done so for over 8 years with good performance with no trouble.  

Joe

Kestrel,

I run AC 46's in my '40 Buick LTD (320cid) when we do a lot of driving on the highway.

Found several sets on "evilbay".

If you cannot find these, you could run AC 48's or 49's which are still in production for "generators" and they will run fine around town.

With AC the higher the number the hotter the plug, and 48's will not hurt your engine.

Mike in Colorado