Last Saturday Night

Cargirl

Here are two photo's from a show and shine last weekend at the Scottsdale Pavilions in Arizona. We always talk about when our cars are going to get the respect they deserve. In my opinion, that day has arrived. When I pulled in and headed for parking I heard numerous comments like "wow, it's a Reatta," and have not seen one of those for some time, cool car." after I parked it I had more people checking it out than the Mopar, GM and Ford rides. People were really interested in this rarely seen car. Even if your car is a high miles and not perfect, if you check out a local show and shine I bet you will be surprised at the love your Reatta gets.

20190105_171409[1].jpg

20190105_171418[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful Car and great weather!! Wish we had that. I take my car to a semi local  Car and Coffee and always get lots of questions especially on the Touch Screen and features. My Car need paint but you can't tell from most pictures.  I also get good comments at other shows I take it to.

Cars and Coffee ( Leesburg VA, Check out their FB page, This a great group its all about the cars and trucks no mater what you drive)

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

I encourage all of you to take your Reatta to car events.........there are a lot of people out there that have no idea that Buick built such a car.

I have a sheet that is place in the window that tell a little of the Reatta history.......not a lot of detail but just enough to get people asking more questions.

Example......it should tell them the car was only built for 4 model years and a total of 21,751 were built in those 4 years.

Tell them it was the most expensive Buick built during that time..........I happen to have the window sticker for my car......I had it laminated and that goes on the dash for display.

If you happen to be elsewhere,  they can read the card and may come back later when you are there to ask more questions. 

Sometimes they have good input........like I have a neighbor/friend that has one he wants to sell.

Share the Reatta story.

If you want to give examples of "rarity"  there are lots of other cars they might be familiar with that were made in much larger numbers, yet they are considered rare, collectable, and in some cases expensive.

Using the 21,751 number for total production as a base..............

1957 Ford Thunderbird.........21,380 in one model year.

1964 Mustang.........they made 121,538 in that first year.

1957 Chevy Bel Air convertible....47,562 in one year of one model

1948 Crosley wagon..........23,489 in one model year.

The Cadillac Allante was made from 1987-1992 (6 model years) and some people somehow relate the Reatta to the Allante...

the best number I have for the Allante is 14,587 made in 6 years.......but they were about $20,000 more than a Reatta in price.

I always have a book on my Windshield that has all the production number breakdown, It has all the work I have done on it. This year I took some pictures of the Touch Screen and put it on the Windshield and got lots more comments about it. When the car is off it looks pretty plain, Fire it up and show people and they are excited and amazed it was done in 88. I always tell them them about the diagnostic features also.

53 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

...the most expensive Buick built during that time..........I happen to have the window sticker for my car......I had it laminated and that goes on the dash for display.

Share the Reatta story.

Barney,

I did and do the exact same thing.  I attend cruise-ins at least 3 times a week during the season.  With the Monroney sticker displayed, I do get asked a lot of questions with one in particular..."this car cost THAT MUCH?!"  I say, "you should see the price of the convertible!".

I do have a friend that jokingly calls the Reatta a "Regretta"!!  

Brenda,

Beautiful looking car!  Years (and years) ago, I worked for Honeywell and would travel often to their plant in Phoenix.  I really miss that weather.

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I encourage all of you to take your Reatta to car events.........there are a lot of people out there that have no idea that Buick built such a car.

I have a sheet that is place in the window that tell a little of the Reatta history.......not a lot of detail but just enough to get people asking more questions.

I totally agree. Although I don't take my car to the national shows I do take it to a lot of small shows and  cruise-ins near me.  I think putting a sheet on the windshield that tells about the Reatta helped get it more attention and it leads to people asking more questions about it. Without it, about all I ever heard was: "What is that?".  Although there may be better ones out there than mine, I could post my sheet to give anyone who wants to make one of these sheets a good starting point. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking of making a binder of all the information I have. I some promotional material now along with the letter from the dealer and the window sticker. My most asked questions have been “what’s that?” and “ didn’t Cadillac make something like this”. Which when I was parked next to an Allante was cool 

FAB05847-F155-487D-8C31-F7AE44949D6B.jpeg

8C2C90A1-FD26-4530-9473-01512A4438E2.jpeg

60147D9E-ECAB-4427-834B-8F171104C027.jpeg

I generally display three things with the car at shows. 1) the window sticker (laminated) 2) Statement of mileage (17000) and owners info and 3) a brief overview of what a Reatta is (thanks Ronnie, I plagiarized yours and added a bit). I agree with Barney, it's good for the auto collecting guy and girl to become familiar with such a unique and desirable car.

Just like dashmaster attested to, you take'em out and people appreciate and admire them, even daily drivers.

• Like 2

I have found a surprising amount of interest and recognition in mine as well. One of the most remarkable times was last spring, driving with the top down, a rather "grandmotherly" looking lady called out to me from her late model Subaru, and said she loved the car, and always wanted one!

I must add, that I certainly am a bit envious of you folks in the South right now, as we are heading to nearly zero F in my area of Ontario tonight!

Keith

I enjoy getting recognition at the cruise-ins but what I enjoy more is when someone pulls up beside me going down a four-lane and gives me a thumbs up.  I've had that happen several times. Maybe it's because I cruise around town so slow that they were going to pass me anyway and noticed I was driving something unusual. Whatever the reason I still like it. :) 

The most bazaar recognition I've gotten with my Reatta was when two young guys in a Honda Accord with a loud muffler ran up behind me tooting the horn and motioning for me to pull over. I thought maybe they had noticed something was wrong with my Reatta so I pulled over in a parking lot.  When I stopped and got out they came up to my car and asked if they could look at my Ferrari. Their jaws dropped when I pointed out that it was a Buick. They must have been blinded by the bright red paint because I don't know how they missed BUICK in big letters on my taillight.  They said they had never heard of a Reatta and they still wanted to know if it was OK for them to look it over. While they were looking they asked lots of questions and they were amazed that it came with a touch screen in 1988. It made me feel good to know that a couple of young kids noticed an old Reatta that was older than they were.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kevin M said:

I’m thinking of making a binder of all the information I have. I some promotional material now along with the letter from the dealer and the window sticker. My most asked questions have been “what’s that?” and “ didn’t Cadillac make something like this”. Which when I was parked next to an Allante was cool 

The Cadillac Allante, Olds Trofeo and Chrysler TC are good matches to the Reatta. I never get parked next to those cars - or any cars similar to mine most of the time. 

This is how I usually get parked. Part of the reason is my buddy with the Cobra tries to save me a spot beside him if he gets there first. And then his Cobra and Triumph TR-6 buddies show up making my Reatta stick out like a sore thumb. I don't know if that's good thing or bad. :)

6-9-18.jpg

• Like 1