66 Buick Wildcat convertible

SkeeterDave

In 1966 a one-year-only Wildcat "Gran Sport Performance Group" package could be ordered by selecting the "A8/Y48" option. Two engine choices were available. The single carb 425 CID/340 hp V8 was included in the base package price with a 360 hp (268 kW) dual-carb set-up available at extra cost. Initially, this 20 hp (15 kW) upgrade remained a dealer-installed carb-intake modification bolted to stock MT-coded engines but eventually these "Super Wildcats" could also be obtained direct from the factory with MZ-coded engines. Rounding out both the base and Super GS packages were dual exhaust, heavy-duty suspension, posi-traction and updated rear quarter-panel "GS" badging in the new, initials-only format employed on all post-1965 Gran Sports. A total of 1,244 Wildcat GSs were built by Buick during the model year. Of those, 242 were convertibles and the rest were hardtops. A mere 22 (consisting of an unknown mix of both body styles) were Super Wildcats.

per wikipedia..........

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)
  • Like 2

SkeeterDave,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have moved your post to the Buick Forum. Hopefully you will find someone here who will be more likely to be able to answer your question.

3 hours ago, wmsue said:

In 1966 a one-year-only Wildcat "Gran Sport Performance Group" package could be ordered by selecting the "A8/Y48" option. Two engine choices were available. The single carb 425 CID/340 hp V8 was included in the base package price with a 360 hp (268 kW) dual-carb set-up available at extra cost. Initially, this 20 hp (15 kW) upgrade remained a dealer-installed carb-intake modification bolted to stock MT-coded engines but eventually these "Super Wildcats" could also be obtained direct from the factory with MZ-coded engines. Rounding out both the base and Super GS packages were dual exhaust, heavy-duty suspension, posi-traction and updated rear quarter-panel "GS" badging in the new, initials-only format employed on all post-1965 Gran Sports. A total of 1,244 Wildcat GSs were built by Buick during the model year. Of those, 242 were convertibles and the rest were hardtops. A mere 22 (consisting of an unknown mix of both body styles) were Super Wildcats.

per wikipedia..........

This should read "..dealer installed carb - intake modification bolted to stock MW-coded engines."  The MT code was the 401 engine.  FYI - there were 179 MZ coded 1966 Rivieras built in 1966.  On the Riviera, the heavy duty suspension option was code H2 and was not part of the Gran Sport option.  I'm wondering if it's the same for the Wildcat.  You need to remember that anything posted in Wikipedia is information gathered by the general public and should always be scrutinized as such.  As a teacher, I never allowed students to use Wikipedia as a quotable source. 

OK, 1966 Wildcat Convertibles break down. From Daily Car Report!

46467 2690 built.  Wildcat Convertible

A 7 425 cid Q-Jet 62 built

A 8 425 cid dual quad -1 built (GS option)

A 9 425 cid Q-Jet 40 built (GS option)

46667 2790 built.  Wildcat Custom Convertible

A 7 425 cid Q-Jet 114 built

A 8 425 cid dual quad -3 built (GS option)

A 9 425 cid Q-Jet 195 built (GS option)

So there are 425 cid Wildcats that were not Wildcat GS.  But unlike prior years, they were equipped with the Q-Jet carb.

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel
add (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EmTee said:

What was the difference between A7 and A9?  Was it the transmission (auto/manual)?

The difference appears to be : A7's are regular wildcats, if one could be called regular. And A9's are Wildcat GS's.

• Thanks 1

A8 was the Super Wildcat engine option.  A9 was the Gran Sport option.  A9 included A8 as part of the package.  Some cars were built with the A8 engine option but without the A9 Gran Sport option.  All 66 Rivieras came with the Quadrajet carbureted engine, except for the 179 MZ cars built late in the year, so there was no A7 option for the Riviera.  There were a couple of optional 401's built in '66 as well for the Skylark GS cars.  One had the Quadrajet carb and the other had 11.0 to 1 compression ratio. NHRA rated the Q-jet motor at 332 hp.

OK Skeeter: The numbers? Well, I guess if one likes statistics....ya know, like in baseball.  For 66 Wildcat purposes the 425 was the first to fall as they had less meat in the blocks. I have 4 425'z .30 over and many 425'z that are clunked out. The 401 was much better but at this point in time many of them are klunked out. Always stick 6 grand in the budget sooner or later for a re-build. And believe it or not, THAT could be a low figure at this time.  I base my statement on years of experience with these old heaps and my current ownership of more than i care to disclose.  Mitch.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I found a 1966 Buick Wildcat Convertible GS. How do you tell if its a real GS? It has the grill, dash, and quarter badging with the 425 (chrome air cleaner), but I'm seeing in various pics and videos Wildcat faces on the steering wheel, door panels, and seat backs. This one seems to have the Buick logo on the door panels and nothing on the seat backs us i believe the seats have been redone. I haven't seen the car in person yet. Please refer to pics below.

Screenshot_20220316-001441_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-001430_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-001424_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-001417_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-001408_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-001338_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220316-001800_Facebook.jpg

Looks legit to me.  Although I have owned only one 1966 Wildcat GS. Boy, I wish I had that one back. It looks like it has all of the original  identification badges. The engine and air cleaner are correct. You can check if the numbers match by comparing the engine number with the body number. They should be the same. The dimple in the left side valve cover is 1966 only. It is there for those cars that had smog equipment. The dimple is needed to clear to back side of the air pump, which would be mounted next to the power steering pump. When I first saw mine was like that, I thought it was dented, but it is made that way.

• Like 1

According to the Standard Catalog of Buicks 3rd edition by John Gunnell, the Gran Sport package could have been ordered on either the base Wildcat or the Wildcat Custom. There was no specific model number for the Gran Sport.  The package includes all that you show in the pictures with two  exceptions.  The car should have  heavy duty suspension front and back AND a positive traction rear axle.  It does not describe what constitutes a heavy duty suspension, and given the time difference from 1966 to now, any number of suspension components could have been changed.  But you can check for the posi tag on the rear axle.   If that isn't there it may still be a posi but the current owner may object if you test for that by laying two strips of tire marking on the pavement. 😚  It may be best to ask forgiveness than permission in that case.  😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

If that isn't there it may still be a posi but...

Another way to check that the owner may allow is jacking both rear wheels off the ground (e.g., a floor jack under the diff).  Just high enough to spin one wheel by hand and observe the other wheel.  If it moves in the same direction as the wheel that is turned it's posi.  The wheel on an open diff will turn in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

I have since found a friend of the previous owner thru Facebook groups and he confirms its a legit GS. The car came from Florida and is currently in Indiana he states exactly where the pictures were taken that the new owner posted, they are pictures from the previous owners listing outvof Florida. Thank You everyone for the input and knowledge its greatly appreciated. I still think the new owners asking price is about $5k too high.

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Another way to check that the owner may allow is jacking both rear wheels off the ground (e.g., a floor jack under the diff).  Just high enough to spin one wheel by hand and observe the other wheel.  If it moves in the same direction as the wheel that is turned it's posi. 

Hardly as much fun, but probably effective. 

1 hour ago, Jason Myers said:

I still think the new owners asking price is about $5k too high.

Good luck.