Senior Six Conrod

1 hour ago, aunty norm said:

Just wondering how you went with the rear main oil seal carrier? 

They are made with pot metal and just fall apart!

Our experience is the same.  The lower half crumbled to bits when it came off the engine.  A mate kindly spent an evening gluing it back together to get a reasonable proximation of what it looked like.  A local machine shop used the result to machine a new seal from a solid block of aluminum.  The test fit showed it needed a little modifcation, but now it seems to seal properly.  FYI, we were more careful removing the top half and it too was copied.  Good luck with yours!

12 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

I am led to believe that the Senior Series engine was designed by Dodge Brothers and was manufactured by Continental  The Chiltons Interchangerbitity book would soon clarify the problem 

Hi Ron.    Hope you are well.  Thank you for the advice.  FYI,  the cylinder head that you kindly sourced for me many years ago was the only part of the engine that was in good shape when we took it apart!   We are hoping the conrod is the last missing piece so we can re-assemble the engine and get back on the road.  Regards  Mike

Here is what Chilton says.

image.thumb.png.836db4f595cca4d16fcec0734c8b7b2d.png

image.thumb.png.c46738a1da68b090ba0030aac6eff6ff.png

The valves and guides were only used on the Senior. The camshaft and crankshaft gears or sprockets were only used on the Senior. The 1927-29 valve springs were used only on that engine. The 1929-30 springs were used on 7 models, four of them Dodges: Victory, Standard, DA and Senior.

My thanks to everyone who responded.  I have located a pair of conrods in New York State and I will collect them at Christmas.  They are a bit of an unknown, but hopefully they will be crack free.

I am always impressed by the passion and generosity of the members of this forum.  Thank you again to all who responded.    Below is the last picture of the before the engine let go.  We were leading our class at the time.  Best regards, Mike

Shamrock 2018.jpg

• Like 2