1965 Riviera Advertisement

flh73

In 1964 when the 1st. TH400 came out the gear selector in the forward ranges had ONLY Low & Drive. It was still a 3speed TH400 but you had no control over second gear. IF, for instance, you were doing 30MPH & slipped into low it would hold second gear, as if descending a hill,  until you slowed & reached approx. 20MPH then it would shift into 1st. gear.  You had NO control over this. For 1965 it was changed, among other things, with a forward gear selector that read D-L2-L1. If you slipped it into L2 it would stay there until you actually made a shift to L1 or drive. Good for descending hills  using engine braking & NOT go into 1st. at 20MPH.  There were other things built in that I won't get into now.

Tom T.

12 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I think Buick called it “switch pitch” in their advertising.

14 hours ago, telriv said:

In 1964 when the 1st. TH400 came out the gear selector in the forward ranges had ONLY Low & Drive. It was still a 3speed TH400 but you had no control over second gear. IF, for instance, you were doing 30MPH & slipped into low it would hold second gear, as if descending a hill,  until you slowed & reached approx. 20MPH then it would shift into 1st. gear.  You had NO control over this. For 1965 it was changed, among other things, with a forward gear selector that read D-L2-L1. If you slipped it into L2 it would stay there until you actually made a shift to L1 or drive. Good for descending hills  using engine braking & NOT go into 1st. at 20MPH.  There were other things built in that I won't get into now.

Tom T.

Could be both. The 64 has the ST400 transmission described by Tom T. and it is not a switch pitch as stated by Pat.