'63 Windshield Washerf filter & hose

Bdad

The washer fluid isn't spraying. I pull the top off the reservoir and not hose going down attached. Go fishing and find a piece of hose and a filter plastic with no filter. Appears I need a new filter and hose to attach to the cap so the vacuum will draw fluid.

Looking in the manual it appears the rubber tubing into the tank should be 7/32" and about 7" long. I assume that attaches (presses) onto the filter? I'm looking at Cars and see the filter (http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1802)

I think the right tubing is: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=2669

Anything I'm missing? Is this stuff I can pick up locally rather than going through the delay of ordering and shipping?

Appreciate guidance.

40 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Hopefully that us all you need.  The pump is over 50 years old and they weren't all that great to begin with.  Can you hear the pump cycling when you push the plunger in?

Yes we can hear it but no fluid which led me to the canister and missing hose/filter. Wondering if I can find the stuff locally.

2 hours ago, Bdad said:

Yes we can hear it but no fluid which led me to the canister and missing hose/filter. Wondering if I can find the stuff locally.

Don't see why not. Piece of vacuum hose, and AutoZone's Help section.probably has the filter; they were used on a lot of GM cars.

I checked locally for a replacement for the washer filter and struck out. Then I went to a local hardware store and bought a 2 pak of metal filter screens for faucets. I took a bit of clear gorilla glue and put it around the edge of the filter and set the screen on and let it dry. Bought a 12" piece of tubing and cut to the specified 7" and attached to the filer and the underside of the container cap and viola! Working again for about $4.

63_Riv_washer_filter_repair.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 65 Windscreen washer pump does not work. Diaphragm is long gone.

Bought after market diaphragm (stated for 65 Riv) but does not fit and cannot be modified to fit.

So I am dropped the idea of repairing the original pump mounted on the windscreen motor.

I need a new pump that provides suction out of the bottle. There are plenty of after market

pumps but they must be fitted at the bottom of the washer tank so they always have a head of water.

Unless they have a head of water they will not work.

Has anyone had a similar problem and know of a pump that produces suction out of the bottle and

onward via tubes to the windscreen. If such a pump exists then I can place it inside the fender and it will

look 99.9% original.

Cheers

TomK

4 hours ago, TKRIV said:

My 65 Windscreen washer pump does not work. Diaphragm is long gone.

Bought after market diaphragm (stated for 65 Riv) but does not fit and cannot be modified to fit.

So I am dropped the idea of repairing the original pump mounted on the windscreen motor.

I need a new pump that provides suction out of the bottle. There are plenty of after market

pumps but they must be fitted at the bottom of the washer tank so they always have a head of water.

Unless they have a head of water they will not work.

Has anyone had a similar problem and know of a pump that produces suction out of the bottle and

onward via tubes to the windscreen. If such a pump exists then I can place it inside the fender and it will

look 99.9% original.

Cheers

TomK

Tom,

My car had an aftermarket pump it when I bought it. It is very small and mounted on the firewall. It works very well. It is small enough that you could probably mount it anywhere. I'm pretty sure you could pick one of these up at any parts store.

Bill

Windshield washer.jpg

Washer Pump 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Tom,

My car had an aftermarket pump it when I bought it. It is very small and mounted on the firewall. It works very well. It is small enough that you could probably mount it anywhere. I'm pretty sure you could pick one of these up at any parts store.

Bill

Windshield washer.jpg

Washer Pump 2.jpg

Off topic but very nice job on detailing your engine compartment.  Looks great.  Any hints for the rest of us? Like what kind of paint you used and the color.  Something off the shelf or did you have it mixed?

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Off topic but very nice job on detailing your engine compartment.  Looks great.  Any hints for the rest of us? Like what kind of paint you used and the color.  Something off the shelf or did you have it mixed?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the kind words. They are greatly appreciated. I like others have gone through dozens of different paints in trying to detail their car. After all of this trial and error through the years the paints I have pictured are now my go to paints for any or all of the following reasons: easy to access or available locally, give a quality finish and are reasonably priced. Also not pictured plenty of elbow grease, degreaser, parts wash, wire brushes, steel wool and rags.

ENGINE-PlastiKote 207 Aluminum for the cooler areas of the engine and Rust-Oleum High Heat Ultra Silver 270201(grill paint) for the high heat areas. The Rust-Oleum is really great. It matches the Plastikote, holds up great under heat, is cheap and available locally. When my shop replaced my exhaust manifold they sprayed it with this and it still looks great. Once the Plastikote is gone I will stick to this exclusively.

ENGINE BAY-Eastwood Underhood Matte Black I love this stuff! While it is more expensive than off the shelf paint you can find locally, it dries almost instantly, gives a nice smooth finish, doesn't run, is durable and a can goes a long way.

BOLTS, NUTS, SCREWS, ETC.-While it may not be absolutely correct. I love the look of the high quality metal that most of the fasteners were made of and want it to show, I wire wheel these to get rust, grease and grime off and spray with several coats of gloss clear. This is cheap and readily available locally.

BARE METAL PARTS-For the bare metal parts like hood hinges, hood latches, brake booster, etc. I like Eastwood Stainless Steel Detail Coating. It dries quickly, gives a nice finish, durable and goes a long way. I also have pictured Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy 7887 Stainless Steel because even though the caps don't appear to match it gives a finish very similar to the Eastwood. It is cheaper and is available locally. I use this paint in other areas as well, seat tracks, the post of the jack, various parts of the mechanisms inside the doors, etc.

I have also attached some more up to date pictures of my engine bay.

Bill

P.S. One I forgot as it is visible in the engine compartment is Rust-Oleum 7278830 Metallic Matte Silver-cheap, available locally, dries fast and looks nice. I used this when I redid the silver top (visible in the engine pictures) and silver  inside the grille. I also used this when I redid the turn signal bezels and the lower turn signal extensions. I thought it was a nice match.

IMG_4811.JPG

P7271042.JPG

P7271043.JPG

P7271044.JPG

IMG_4812.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Thanks for the info.  You didn't mention the color on the air cleaner.  It looks a little more red than the factory, but it has a great finish.

Ed,

You are welcome. The air cleaner had already been painted before I bought the car. It has the crinkle finish and I'm thinking that it may be the picture/lighting which is causing it to look a little more red.

Bill

Hi Bill, Your engine bay looks amazing considering that you did not remove the motor.

As for the windscreen wiper motor pump I have not been able to locate ANY after market pump here in Australia that produces negative pressure required to suck water out of the bottle. There are dozens of pumps that are designed to work with a head of water but can't find any that produces suction on the inlet. Could you please have a look at your pump and see if there are any make or model markings that would give me a lead.

Cheers

TomK

4 hours ago, TKRIV said:

Hi Bill, Your engine bay looks amazing considering that you did not remove the motor.

As for the windscreen wiper motor pump I have not been able to locate ANY after market pump here in Australia that produces negative pressure required to suck water out of the bottle. There are dozens of pumps that are designed to work with a head of water but can't find any that produces suction on the inlet. Could you please have a look at your pump and see if there are any make or model markings that would give me a lead.

Cheers

TomK

Hi Tom,

Go to E-bay(or Amazon) and search for "universal windscreen pump". There are many that are under $4.00 US with free shipping. 

Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-Windscreen-Wiper-Washer-Pump-for-Car-Van-Bus-Truck-Universal-AWP01/253067203175?epid=2147586735&hash=item3aebfb1267:g:~6sAAOSwN3pbM2D5:rk:2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-12V-2-Pin-Universal-Car-Van-Bus-Truck-Windshield-Windscreen-Washer-Pump-BT/162608055831?epid=2147414187&hash=item25dc320617:g:NqQAAOSw~R1bMfxL:rk:3:pf:0&vxp=mtr

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Windscreen-Washer-Windshield-Water/dp/B079PYX2Q7/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1541075242&sr=1-2&keywords=universal+windshield+washer+pump

On my '64, I used a pump from a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  It involves drilling a hole in the bottom of the reservoir.  So if that's not something you might consider, you can stop reading now.  

The pump inlet is threaded and goes through the hole and is secured via an o-ring, seal, and a nut.  One tube for the washer fluid runs from the pump.  It requires a 12V source from the washer switch on your dash and a ground wire.  It's not a pulse pump like your stock one; it shoots a constant stream.  The thing that I like about it is that it's hard to see if you're not looking for it.  The stock top for the reservoir can be used for that authentic OE look.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Question about the emitters - do they or should they rotate and if so how? Mine are both pointing toward each other and they don't look talk enough to hit the windshield IF they were facing the windshield (which they are not)

2 hours ago, Bdad said:

Question about the emitters - do they or should they rotate and if so how? Mine are both pointing toward each other and they don't look talk enough to hit the windshield IF they were facing the windshield (which they are not)

They face each other and rotate. If you look at the backside of each nozzle on the windshield side you can see that it is beveled so that when it rotates it is pointing up at the windshield. 1st pic passenger side, 2nd pic driver's side.

Bill

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

• 3 years later...