1931 Buick Model 8-57 Windshield Riser Crank Handle Wanted

PETE JANNOTTA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Monday, November 05, 2018 at 5:20 PM, CTCV said:

Sorry I do not know my Buicks very well. I do have the entire windshield mechanism from my 1932 model 97. Not sure what fits what.

Not sure if I was clear but the crank handle is still on mine. Looks like a large wing nut. Not sure if it is the same.

On 10/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, PETE JANNOTTA said:

Looking for interior windshield riser crank handle for a 1931 Buick Model 8-57.

I doubt if you will find a handle lying in a pile with a factory tag that identifies it so you need to post a photo

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So on the VV type windshield riser manufactured by Ternstead (sp?) there were several styles and sizes depending on who they sold them to and for what model car.  This also trickled down to the handles and mechanisms.  One style is for a Fisher bodied Chrysler we just sold.  The handle mounts like the late 20s Buick style I have seen.  The escutcheon threads onto a 1" ring mounted on the mechanism and is what holds the handle onto the shaft, the shaft is square.  The 29 Chev I have has a clip that snaps over a detent slot in the shaft, that shaft is splined.  The 28 Chevs use a screw in the center of the shaft through the handle, I think that shaft is also square.  You will have to disassemble what you have to search for the parts you want.  Bear in mind some of these things could have been swapped from a different car make, year, or model.  There are six screws that hold most of the header boards in position.  Two on each end, and two more in the middle - all six have a function.  Do not move the 1/4" lag bolts threaded into the TOP of the board on each end.  Those are adjusted for THAT CAR.  It almost appears that the board was part of the assembly outsourced from Ternstead since they are so similar to one another in their size, shape, and machining.  The car manufacturer would just cover it with the appropriate fabric.

When buying the replacement/repair kit for the Chevrolet style there is a hefty deposit on that shaft so do not throw it away.  Higher end models were all steel with no pot metal gears.  The ones I have seen when cleaned up actually have a date stamp.  Not trying to confuse anybody, there is just a lot of info to pass along in a short amount of space.  Good luck.  Let us know what you find.