1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

I am familiar with "Budd" wheels on Nash, Studebaker and others, but did not know about a partnership or business agreement between Michelin and Budd.  Could someone educate this group on that subject.  Maybe "Locomobile in the News" could be a good place to post a newspaper clip on that subject.

Al

E7024A50-DE2E-4ECF-B6CC-99CEC2F173D0.jpeg.325be12dcaff15631221e202d9ab6077.jpeg0E0C078B-68CA-44CD-9A36-4FF5E69931CB.jpeg.d06af514329c94875fe6ca92593c01b7.jpegGeneral Pershing had a special model built that are known as Pershing Locomobiles. There several other models of Locomobiles used by the US military and drove Pershing in. Not all Locomobiles Pershing rode in were his special order cars. Pershing  rode in Locomobiles that are not special.

18 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I am familiar with "Budd" wheels on Nash, Studebaker and others, but did not know about a partnership or business agreement between Michelin and Budd.  Could someone educate this group on that subject.  Maybe "Locomobile in the News" could be a good place to post a newspaper clip on that subject.

Al

Whatever Al. Michelin invention produced under license by Budd.

1 hour ago, GARRET MCFANN said:

Hello Al

As of yet, I have found no " before" pictures. This is unfortunate as several people have asked this question. I do have some pictures of the on- going restoration though.

This already posted photo is the US government sign in front of one of the Pershing Locomobiles still in government hands.F7322F04-E56A-44E2-AC9B-0B181B368BB7.jpeg.54e51dc1cd4406c2f2c49ed1199812ac.jpeg24CB6439-189C-4FB9-891F-E8F2CE454C34.jpeg.0bdd19a4f60b199aa4d2ec41f6d1a6df.jpeg

On 9/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, George K said:
On 9/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, GARRET MCFANN said:

Hello George K

Thank you for the photo reference. I have a local copy of a newspaper article from April 17, 1985 about Oakley Arnold Sumpter Sr, who restored the interior of the 1917 Locomobile  at the Aberdeen Ordnance Museum. This article states, “The military bought 12 Locomobiles to use as staff cars. However only one other had the split windshield like the one here.”

Fun facts, from this article:

The 1917 cost of this Locomobile in the US was

$ 8,200. The cost of delivery to France was $9,130

In comparison, the Cadillac of the time cost $3,300.

In 1967 the late curator and founder of the Ordnance Museum estimated that the vehicle was worth $250,00

53 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

We have yet a third car which is apparently a town car. George may be correct that J.J.P. had a few requisitoned for use on duty...there's also the ex-Larz Anderson Sportif so 4 types of Locomobile total.

p3.png

This is the 1919 Auto show carB2F4CB6D-BBDD-47F4-B2E1-FF455E824C40.jpeg.efb17c2db7e6ce82464722a97627c166.jpeg97F9150F-48E4-4AC5-88FF-6C6E6527A51F.jpeg.cf1fda79dee60c406e6a39b3f21c02d8.jpeg

Interesting! Somewhat of a hybrid mix of the previously represented styles, here as a town car but with the steel wheels (dual at rear) and straight fenders and no v-windshield on it. Here's a Nov. 1935 article that describes what happened to it, lest someone thinks they have the original:

111235.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, prewarnut said:

Interesting! Somewhat of a hybrid mix of the previously represented styles, here as a town car but with the steel wheels (dual at rear) and straight fenders and no v-windshield on it. Here's a Nov. 1935 article that describes what happened to it, lest someone thinks they have the original:

111235.png

The 1919 show car has a split windshield as stated in the text. Looks like a flat but notice the upper short windshield that opens as seen in previous photos. The angle of the photo doesn’t show how wide the car is.

22 hours ago, George K said:

GARRET MCFANN  This must be your fathers car. I saw a great Pershing Loco in a private museum. There are two split windshield in the photo.plll1C6369BE-878F-450F-A2F9-55917C27B8FD.jpeg.6ada4a13cd8e32a43455f605313dc42e.jpegA513E3C9-B1FE-4500-A345-4EEFD35DC914.jpeg.ef552f13cb1816f1707366d0bc3ad717.jpeg

Interesting….

I have two registration cards for the Locomobile; a 1932 and a 1929. It was registered in Oakland California at that time. The owner was an A. F. Cornwall. My father purchased it from a C.M. Palmer in 1967, who had a Livermore Ca. address. Neither place is not too far from Gilroy, as the crow flies.

20220907_143317.jpg

20220907_143343 (1).jpg

Edited by GARRET MCFANN (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know we have multiple conversations going on so I apologize....Two things: 1) It is interesting the above two V-shaped windshield limos have dual rear tires but I can see they are wire wheels. As the rear spokes are canted out it seems to suggest to me a single large rim whereby two tires could be mounted. Does anyone understand this configuration better?  2) George, on the limos they are all split windshields which open with a horizontal seam between two glasses. But (I'll state this in a form of a question, Alex) aren't we still seeing two designs: one with a flat windscreen and one with center post forming a V-shape? (e.g. 2 panes and 4 panes). I feel the 1919 show car is flat with 2 panes regardless of the angle. Am I wrong?

27 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

I know we have multiple conversations going on so I apologize....Two things: 1) It is interesting the above two V-shaped windshield limos have dual rear tires but I can see they are wire wheels. As the rear spokes are canted out it seems to suggest to me a single large rim whereby two tires could be mounted. Does anyone understand this configuration better?  2) George, on the limos they are all split windshields which open with a horizontal seam between two glasses. But (I'll state this in a form of a question, Alex) aren't we still seeing two designs: one with a flat windscreen and one with center post forming a V-shape? (e.g. 2 panes and 4 panes). I feel the 1919 show car is flat with 2 panes regardless of the angle. Am I wrong?

This is the description of the 1919 show car. I believe the angle of the photo deceives you into thinking the center divider is the off side windshield post.9687481B-F8D4-4E86-B28D-CE8C3321E893.jpeg.7d0cc7b5ce65d9ae4190ef82b547d314.jpeg

1 hour ago, prewarnut said:

F0AAADB4-BB9B-4ED4-A7DA-0AD2F5406C1E.jpeg.00d685a7e6e15e837bc498534c82c4d7.jpeg

The general has an interesting stance. He tends to lean in some of his photos. The one with his signature still makes me wonder if we are seeing a non v-shaped windscreen - it is just so difficult to make out. I won't argue it as the picture isn't good enough to contradict. I think on the upright car with the rounded fenders and the U.S. Army numbers on the rear door, that appears to be a conventional windscreen. With one of the captions mentioning President Wilson used a Locomobile I tried to find a photo/press release but to no avail. Perhaps given his stroke, similar to FDRs handicap he probably was more discreet in appearances at the time.

I am not well versed with this conversation regarding the "Pershing" military Locomobiles.  Is any information available about how many other automobile makes were in the mix being tested for potential purchase on the WW1 military contract.  To what extent did Pershing, himself, have the ability to request Locomobiles to be his staff cars.  Did Pershing leave much in the way or written words about his assigned Locomobile service cars.  Did Pershing ever own a Locomobile?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

I am not well versed with this conversation regarding the "Pershing" military Locomobiles.  Is I formation available about how many other automobile makes were in the mix for the WW1 military contract.  To what extent did Pershing, himself, have the ability to request Locomobiles to be his staff cars.  Did Pershing leave much in the way or written words about his Locomobile service cars.  Did Pershing ever own a Locomobile?

Al

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

I am not well versed with this conversation regarding the "Pershing" military Locomobiles.  Is I formation available about how many other automobile makes were in the mix for the WW1 military contract.  To what extent did Pershing, himself, have the ability to request Locomobiles to be his staff cars.  Did Pershing leave much in the way or written words about his Locomobile service cars.  Did Pershing ever own a Locomobile?

Al

Al, You have mentioned that the Bridgeport library has been very helpful. They list in the summary of boxes of Locomobile records all the US government 1919 purchase orders. Specifically Box 6 item #35&36. Box7 #’s 1-6 are all purchase orders. Perhaps you could get them to digitized them for viewing.Just a thought and certainly would help GARRET MCFANN solidify the history of his car as his serial number is a 1919 # but unusual series#.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:36 AM, prewarnut said:

111235.png

Al what does it say about Pershing owning a Locomobile. Cecil De Mille purchased it from Pershing for $16,000. In 1920.

I have read, closely, the above shown newspaper clipping.  It suggests that Pershing used the Locomobile as a Staff car with hints that the US Government ordered, purchased and paid for the Locomobile Staff cars.  Then the article suggests that DeMille purchased Pershing's Locomobile staff car from Pershing himself.  It appears that something tricky took place, I just don't know what!  Actually, you suggest a very good idea from a historical stand point and that is to encourage the Historical Wing of the Bridgeport Public Library, to digitize the information you pointed out.

Al

I would note for consideration that General Pershing was highly regarded and highly respected. However, there is no way for even a 4 star General to come close to affording a locomobile.

I would find it extremely unlikely that anything untoward occurred. I would expect some civic organization purchased the car and then gave it to him as a gift for services rendered to the country.

One can find other examples of gifts to him such as a horse (he was a calvary officer).

James

• Like 1

Property of the government is property of the government, but people in high positions have a way of getting things donated to them as gifts or potentially bought when former use is no longer needed. I think with Pershing there seems to be multiple vehicles involved. This leads me to wonder what the provenance of the auctioned Sportif is/was as all the other vehicles are enclosed cars. It may be known (but I just don't know it). I agree getting to Bridgeport and looking in the boxes and getting serial numbers may be helpful. Also, while l like posting contemporary press articles as they can help establish some data points, as they say, "you can't believe everything written in the press."