1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

To my knowledge, people brought all kinds of things home after the wars. My uncle brought several guns back and wooden boxes full of ammunition. I have known people who brought back guns and knives and swords from ww2. I lot of people bought decommissioned jeeps, some with guns still on them. That a general would own a car commissioned for the war after the war was over does not sound strange to me. The car would see hard service in war time and would simply be a used car afterward and many were sold off by the war department.

Personal experience aside, I could be wrong and often are.

As coincidence would have it, I was talking with a one star retired general on Tuesday and asked him about the "6-star" rank because I saw this somewhere (probably same source from which it is atttributed to Pershing). Granted he was ex-Air-Force however he stated there is no open 6-star rank. He told me there were three or four 5-star's other than EIsenhower, such as Omar Bradley, Hap Arnold....If we check Wikipedia and other online sources it can be seen that while proposal for a 6-star rank was made, it was never legislatively voted for.

If we Google 6-star and Pershing there is a book or other things which come up but I think this "rank" was ceremonial or post-service and clearly not official duty in nature. I could be wrong and am certainly not an expert in military affairs but wonder if this is some sort of lore circulating on the web. It is also curious how Pershing would hit 6 stars when first there wasn't a 5 star person in existence at the time, and also Pershing clearly attained 4 stars in service - as displayed on his vehicles, but he isn't promoted to 5 stars in any observable way. As my contact mentioned attaining further stars beyond the first is a political appointment, the rules behind are like politics - murky.

Edited by prewarnut (see edit history)

I believe the ad is from 1920. It is interesting with the upswung hood to meet the cowl and thus higher windowsill line but yet retaining height for useability. The mid beltline strip probably breaks it up somewhat. It is certainly different. It reminds me of a Brunn Lincoln. I wonder if this is a 48 or 38.

On 9/6/2022 at 4:42 PM, George K said:

GARRET MCFANN  This must be your fathers car. I saw a great Pershing Loco in a private museum. There are two split windshield in the photo.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, George K said:

This is the Pershing Locomobile I believe I saw in a private museum. It has two added license plate brackets. One for the United States of America 🇺🇸 and four Star General plates. Does you car have these brackets?

George K,

I see no evidence of the added license plate brackets on my father's car

On 9/7/2022 at 4:36 AM, prewarnut said:

Interesting! Somewhat of a hybrid mix of the previously represented styles, here as a town car but with the steel wheels (dual at rear) and straight fenders and no v-windshield on it. Here's a Nov. 1935 article that describes what happened to it, lest someone thinks they have the original:

111235.png

Only photo I could find from “Rendezvous” with its car.138E07AE-489C-43D9-A011-3F4B03CE476B.jpeg.a8b16e4e5245a943a0ca3d686de35171.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prewarnut said:

George, you just opened up a whole new kettel of fish: Locomobiles in the movies. From the IMCDB, Picking Peaches, 1924:

pp.jpg

Look back in this topic and you’ll find me showing this picture and asking what the hanging accouterment might be. I mentioned I like the dual spotlights

6 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Love the Budd wheels.  Is it known how many Locomobile 48's came equipped with dual Budd rear wheels?  I wonder what the adapter looked like that allowed for dual wheels on the rear?

Al

GARRET MCFANN posted what they not only look like but are Budd dual rear wheel hubs. Offset rims back to back just like any truck.

9EBE0272-D8B7-4B5D-8D40-AF942E3E4469.jpeg

For those of you that have never seen the wheel hub design used by Locomobile to facilitate the mounting of Budd disc wheels, I received permission to post here pictures of the hub assemblies used on the Pershing Locomobile limousine for sale elsewhere.

Al

Picture one

20220914_114703.jpg

All restorations/costs/investments need to be considered very carefully.  If one just wants to drive an old car, get a Dodge or Model T equivalent.  Those who are interested in historical significance will gravitate to Locomobile or some other near equivalent, yet it is important to keep starting and ending value in mind before taking one of these "top of the line" automobiles on.  Someone, who has decent mechanical skills, could likely come out ok on this one as evidence shows that plenty of the "dirty work" of restoration has been completed on a reasonably low miles Locomobile.  That said, finish body work, paint, plating and upholstery are certainly going to add up a serious amount. (The assumption is that this is a complete basket case with NONE of the ticky hard to find parts are with this huge puzzle).

Al

George K

Thank you for your learned knowledge regarding the purchase price for the Pershing Locomobile. As you are one of the handful of experts that I was recommended to contact on this subject, your contribution is duly noted.

Locomobile Sale Update

An ad has now been placed in the “for sale” section of this website. All offers above 15k will be taken seriously. I came up with this number in consultation with several of these experts, as well as pricing information bantered about this forum. The high offer at the present date is 16K.

I would like to acknowledge and thank the Locomobile community for their willingness to help me through this process, not to mention the education I received these past couple of months.

It does seem that restored antique automobiles should be worth a lot more than people are willing to pay. That said, very few restores I imagine expect a monetary profit from their endeavors and it is a labor of love.

It has been said several times on this forum that it will take “deep pockets”, time, and knowledge to take this project to completion.  It is this guy I am looking for. But, as stated in the advertisement, a high bid/offer does not guarantee the sale. We would love to see this car completed in our lifetime. So if you have the knowledge, some time, and can reach into someone else’s pocket… 

I have recently created the following website address link to keep everybody up to date on this sale. I also thought it may also be an informational platform of interest for Locomobile owners who are not interested in this purchase. There are pictures, a Question & Answer section, as well as the latest offering for the vehicle

https://1919pershinglocomobile.wordpress.com/

Thanks,

Garret

Edited by GARRET MCFANN (see edit history)

H

4 hours ago, GARRET MCFANN said:

George K

Thank you for your learned knowledge regarding the purchase price for the Pershing Locomobile. As you are one of the handful of experts that I was recommended to contact on this subject, your contribution is duly noted.

Locomobile Sale Update

An ad has now been placed in the “for sale” section of this website. All offers above 15k will be taken seriously. I came up with this number in consultation with several of these experts, as well as pricing information bantered about this forum. The high offer at the present date is 16K.

I would like to acknowledge and thank the Locomobile community for their willingness to help me through this process, not to mention the education I received these past couple of months.

It does seem that restored antique automobiles should be worth a lot more than people are willing to pay. That said, very few restores I imagine expect a monetary profit from their endeavors and it is a labor of love.

It has been said several times on this forum that it will take “deep pockets”, time, and knowledge to take this project to completion.  It is this guy I am looking for. But, as stated in the advertisement, a high bid/offer does not guarantee the sale. We would love to see this car completed in our lifetime. So if you have the knowledge, some time, and can reach into someone else’s pocket… 

I have recently created the following website address link to keep everybody up to date on this sale. I also thought it may also be an informational platform of interest for Locomobile owners who are not interested in this purchase. There are pictures, a Question & Answer section, as well as the latest offering for the vehicle

https://1919pershinglocomobile.wordpress.com/

Thanks,

Garret

Here’s what a friend of mine car sold for from his estate. Stephen was a real car guy and restored this all original together car to Pebble Beach standards.  He was a judge at Pebble. This is what the car brought last year.  Good luck in your pursuit after your family owned the car from 1967 per your posting.3D3B37E3-4DB0-496E-9D69-DCED9552F267.jpeg.edde170ec3b4e635ce1f76293063d441.jpeg3A55DB8E-FEBB-41AB-B536-318DA54CD85A.jpeg.25c455ff6da1cef86175442db81478e9.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:45 AM, alsfarms said:

Any new developments or news on the sale of the several Locomobile's that have been listed for sale in the east and west?

Al

For those of you that are unaware, I have created the following website for the sale of the Loco, complete with picture gallery and question & answer section: https://1919pershinglocomobile.wordpress.com/

Garret

• Like 1