1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

hmmmmm.....on further investigation.  The Locomobile Society motor number list lumps the 1924 and 1925 Locomobile production under the 19000 series.  I was under the belief that only 1925 Locomobile 48's were considered 19000 series automobiles.  I suppose that a certain degree of ambiguity existed as Locomobile was winding down and this series number breakdown may well be one of those ambiguities.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

After more contemplation of numbers stamped into the hoods of Locomobile automobiles. I still am scratching my head!?  The matching stamped numbers on each side of a pair of Locomobile 48 hood side panels are plainly stamped 3171.  They didn't start making 48's in 1910....or did they?  1911 is a correct year for a Model M 48 Locomobile.  I do not know for sure but doubt that they marketed even a preproduction 48 in 1910.....or did they?  Or is it possible that 3171 was made in 1910 and marketed as a 1911?  For fun I will attach a picture of an original Locomobile Model L (4 cylinder) hood with the number 4541 stamped into it.  From the number list 4541 is a Model L mid year 1911 hood.  None of this makes me loose sleep but knowledge is good!  Share your thoughts?

Al

IMG_20220321_104620394.jpg.9a3a723664c674deeb32ba75d5cd1b91.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

OK Ed, No teases.  At least wet our whistle as to what this Locomobile is and what you may have got to do, (of course courtesy and privacy is important if needed as you tell your story).  What year is the roadster?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Dear George, I know the list which is published on the locomobilesociety-page. I was hoping that I find something more specific on the years 1921-23, because they show just one entry for these three years. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Dear George, I know the list which is published on the locomobilesociety-page. I was hoping that I find something more specific on the years 1921-23, because they show just one entry for these three years. Thanks!

My understanding is between Hare’s Motors and Durant the previous years data was destroyed. Why the data from 1921 to the end was accounted for differently I don’t know.

Frank has it......cool car in a fantastic collection.......owner is private, and a fun guy. I didn’t even ask to take photos.......it was obvious he wanted his privacy. He has a bunch of fun and great stuff.......can’t mention it all.....I’m going to visit him again soon.........and take a car or two for a ride...........he has an issue shifting one of his cars........and I’m going to help him out.

Reports are it runs like the wind........With luck, I will let you know. Although, I must admit the car next to it is ten times more interesting.......how is that for a tease! 🤫

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

This comment relates to the discussion of VIN's for 1925 Locos. I originally bought VIN 19000 thinking it was a 1924. I verified this through the Loco Society's listing of VINs on their site. There is an error on the title that states that it is a 1927.

Later, as I reviewed various articles and sales to investigate more about my find. I began to question the accuracy of the Loco Societies VIN. I located "The Classic Car Database" and they stated that my Loco was a 1925 based on it's VIN. This site says that all 1924 model had a 18000 VIN.

• Like 1

Hello Hugh, Your understanding is the same that I have learned also.  It proves, yet again, that even the written word may be based on something besides hard proven fact.  Documentation is very important and helps us to prolificate fact not fallacy.  Thanks for your comment.

Al

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

Frank has it......cool car in a fantastic collection.......owner is private, and a fun guy. I didn’t even ask to take photos.......it was obvious he wanted his privacy. He has a bunch of fun and great stuff.......can’t mention it all.....I’m going to visit him again soon.........and take a car or two for a ride...........he has an issue shifting one of his cars........and I’m going to help him out.

Reports are it runs like the wind........With luck, I will let you know. Although, I must admit the car next to it is ten times more interesting.......how is that for a tease! 🤫

I am sure it runs like the wind, especially when you sit on it's side-chair!!!

12-locomobile-m-dv-19-ba-i01-800.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hugh9222 said:

This comment relates to the discussion of VIN's for 1925 Locos. I originally bought VIN 19000 thinking it was a 1924. I verified this through the Loco Society's listing of VINs on their site. There is an error on the title that states that it is a 1927.

Later, as I reviewed various articles and sales to investigate more about my find. I began to question the accuracy of the Loco Societies VIN. I located "The Classic Car Database" and they stated that my Loco was a 1925 based on it's VIN. This site says that all 1924 model had a 18000 VIN.

Sorry, I don't think that all 1924 cars had a number starting with 18000, because the operating manual for the 19000-series which has been issued in August 1924 shows several photos of parts with serial numbers starting with 19000. The other way around (issuing the manual later and/or showing older cars with lower number like 18000) would make sense, but here you see: The 19000-series must have started well before 1925!

Operators Reference Book 1924 page 1.jpg

Operators Reference Book 1924 page 7.jpg

2 hours ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

I am sure it runs like the wind, especially when you sit on it's side-chair!!!

12-locomobile-m-dv-19-ba-i01-800.jpg

I sat in it.......not very comfortable in the garage......at speed......bring a change of underwear!

• Like 1

Hello Frank,

I don't think that Locomobile changed Model years on December 31.  I do think that the 1925 year started in the fall of 1924.  A 1924 Locomobile Model year would have started in the fall of 1923.  I wish that a hard date was chosen, for Model year change, but I doubt it was publicized.  If any reader here has good proof of an exact date the the Locomobile Model stopped one year and started another, please share your information.

Al 

Some period photos show men setting in touring cars with a boiler hat on and no windshield. My guess is these cars were generally not driven fast in period; that boiler hat would not last long. Speed limits in many towns was five miles per hour. The side seat would be very comfortable at that speed. Moreover, the object of owning these cars was to be seen driving them. If one was to drive fast, it would defeat the purpose. Now, I know we live in a much different time and it seems everybody wants to be a race car driver and cars are judged by how fast they will go. Ninety years ago, the streets in town allowed for faster driving but not with that speed limit and country roads were rough. Just some observations.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, alsfarms said:

Speaking of Italian or French body builders, (autombile), per George and Ed as above referenced.  Here is an interesting current eBay auction. Did BINDER do any bodies for Locomobile? Does anyone here know?  This tag is likely from a newer year than our Locomobiles, the subject of this forum.

Al 

s-l400-2.jpg.3f830882cf96d632eda22b4992bee0c3.jpg

There’s a real photo of a French carrosserie 1915 Locomobile. The tell of the year is the partially louvered hood.9DDDD1CD-54CE-4537-9C5F-D50C040D8A06.jpeg.92183261b76c9dda346c691b9c9673cb.jpeg

5 minutes ago, AHa said:

Al, this is the John McAlpin car we discussed at length a couple of years ago. Dragone has a complete write up of the car on their website.

That's a lot of car for 25k!

Just joking......but the call me for the price listing pisses me off........ask a million, it's fine. But why waste time calling if the car is 300k over your price range........or the market?

• Like 1

It's the old adage, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Seriously though, I'm with you, anybody who knows cars knows the price is going to be up there, why not just post it? I'm guessing somewhere around 500k asking.

1 hour ago, AHa said:

It's the old adage, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Seriously though, I'm with you, anybody who knows cars knows the price is going to be up there, why not just post it? I'm guessing somewhere around 500k asking.

While the restoration could easily cost 500k, market on such cars is soft……..even on special cars. It’s much more likely to end up in a museum collection……….if I remember correctly, it’s the factory color……..but it certainly will hurt the value in the open market. Loco’s rarely hit it out of the park in the price category…….not saying that they shouldn’t, it’s just market reality. 

I have heard rumors that some cars drive like a truck………..seems there is another rumor that some Loco’s drive like a tank. 🤔

4B2A9389-BDFF-4F5B-B099-76C7A5D35D8A.png

Hmmmmm.... It amazes me the width and dept of the accomplishments of Locomobile.  I didn't know of "Tank" involvement in WW1 by Locomobile.  I wonder if any still exist?  I wonder if these tanks were a pattern built unit brought to production in a similar way as the Liberty trucks?  Thanks for sniffing out and posting the "drives like a tank" Locomobile picture.

Al

Al, you buying lunch? Maybe you can install a kitchen in your sedan...........I'll have Beef Wellington please........

IMG_5282.PNG

• Like 1

I did post this picture on the Locomobile-Riker truck forum.  Beef Wellington.....hmmmmm.  I wonder if S..t on the shingle was a WW1 delicacy or if it came about during WW2.  My Father spoke highly of that famous and tasty military dish as he served in Italy during WW2.  I will have to consider the kitchen in the Demarest Limousine.  🙂

Al

• Like 1

Better yet, fly on down to Palm Beach, and we can take the White to The Breakers for lunch. You have to buy.  Of course, it will put your restoration back a few years because it's hard to get out of the seafood bar for under 800 dollars for two. 

• Like 1