1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Here comes one big miracle, maybe someone can enlighten me please: What is the purpose of this box which is located below the foodboard, besides the accelerator pedal?

It is made of steel, quite accurate, but not waterproof (the corners are bent together only, not welded).

It is attached to the wood with 8 small screws. It seems to be in this place already for a very long time, because the food board's black paint is like new. Unfortunately I didn't find any treasures inside. (I still search for the previous owner's gold bars)

- A secret compartment?

- A safe?

- A locker for valuables?

The pro's:

It is invisible from inside and even very hard to find from below, in the middle of the car, above the pedal cross-shaft and all that stuff, and usually dirty from the grease thrown up from the throw-out-bearing. An customs inspection officer with a torch light would have a hard time finding that, if he doesn't know where to look for it.

The con's:

You need a screwdriver and undo the four bigger bolts for removing the floorboard, then the 8 small screws for the box. No lock, no key. It is not waterproof.

It is too narrow for bottles.

What else can be the purpose? Additional heat insolation? I don't think so. That car doesn't get hot in this area. The exhaust pipe it the only warm part, this got a square-box-shaped heat shield starting from the 19000 series, I think.

Your suggestions, please.

t IMG_7225 (2).JPG

t IMG_7230.JPG

t IMG_7236 (3).JPG

t IMG_7238 (2).JPG

46 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It's Murphy...........and I am the King of China. 

That's Jim Grundy behind the wheel in the bottom photo......

I found these photos a couple of years ago. I know the Murphy’s sold Simplex and Locomobile early. Although not easy to see the sill plate is embossed Murphy and dash has a Murphy badge. 

George, Does any ownership history follow this particular Locomobile, that you are aware of?  I am not an expert on custom one off bodies, which this one certainly is, but the fender treatment, lines of the body, headlight treatment, straps on the hood, brass louvers frenched in and high stance of the seats do not blend real well to my eye.  That said, I do not want to rain on the parade of the owner of this unit.  It is a Locomobile, something that apparently is driven, enjoyed and certainly is a custom.  Better in this form than a pile of parts out in the weed patch.  Has anyone seen this automobile close up and personal?

Al

Sure looks like a cut down closed windshield from Brewster....thats just a wild guess. It's looks too much like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang............Someone did great work from the looks of the build, but look at the seats, body shape, exhaust.........it's all to Hollywood. If they put the same effort into design, it would be spectacular. I like it, but it almost looks 1970's modern plastic TV prop. Certainly a crowed pleaser.......... but personally I wouldn't be caught dead in it.......I'm just a purist. 

17 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Sure looks like a cut down closed windshield from Brewster....thats just a wild guess. It's looks too much like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang............Someone did great work from the looks of the build, but look at the seats, body shape, exhaust.........it's all to Hollywood. If they put the same effort into design, it would be spectacular. I like it, but it almost looks 1970's modern plastic TV prop. Certainly a crowed pleaser.......... but personally I wouldn't be caught dead in it.......I'm just a purist. 

I have no information other than these photos. Did you notice the cut out in the exhaust ramp for the bag door?  Not pretty but tons of work. Here’s a passage from a Petrolicious article.7C8A3AA7-1978-4C93-A0F4-5B7440BEFC59.jpeg.4d575d9550973dc785cb36cea81ac05f.jpeg

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Interesting insites on Murphy, the family and the beginning of custom body building.  I have to admit, this particular autombile is a bit "over cooked".

Al

Over cooked...... like Chernobyl.............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I rather have the gout, kidney stones, shingles, and an assortment  of venereal diseases than be seen in that thing....... 😏

It’s kind of funny, but if that was a poorly done cut down speedster from a sedan done in the 30’s or 40’s, I not only could forgive  it,  I would own and drive it. The made to deceive glamour jobs are not only unappealing, they are offensive. 

On another note.....back to the talk about Locomobile locks.  Following Ed's lead I have purchased a hand held induction bolt heater and am waiting for delivery.  I have used with success an ultrasonic parts cleaner.  My next use I will be buying some better cleaning agent that is better at the removal of rust.  I can crank the ultrasonic cleaner up to about 180 degrees F, which should be warm enough to get in and cook out the crud inside the locks and other items for cleaning.  The Demarest Limousine is going to like this cleaning process.

Al

2 hours ago, George K said:

Boy are you guys touchy about Murphy. He had to start somewhere. Didn’t Murphy recruit Bohman away from Healey.

Wow......Murphy was in Detroit and not Pasadena according to the above description. Who would have known..... Also Maharajas are from the Middle East and not India.........they sure got the details down on this one? Too lazy to read google or the free web pages.............also says owned by east coast high end aristocracy........... sounds like all you Loco owners are moving up in the world! Hope you still talk to us low life's who fix cars........

• Thanks 1

George,

I'm fairly well versed with the history of Murphy and absent undeniable proof,  such as a picture of Walter himself standing on the hood holding a newspaper dated 1925, I would not believe it.

Even then I would not be sure.   That car has all the earmarks of a back yard builder.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

George,

I'm fairly well versed with the history of Murphy and absent undeniable proof,  such as a picture of Walter himself standing on the hood holding a newspaper dated 1925, I would not believe it.

Even then I would not be sure.   That car has all the earmarks of a back yard builder.

I am not saying it’s Murphy. I am asking where would you find all the parts you need to create this oddity. It’s a awful design but that must of been quite the back yard.E210D3FE-1707-49AE-825B-47A666E27038.jpeg.7c3c90574f5bac18bd5773347bb65d6b.jpeg32D85D61-03AB-44E5-A987-9C3AC0EC4CE5.jpeg.f1c3b2bd9d0fbfbf1fde63b464f14784.jpeg81688102-C73A-47E9-9196-26E883122986.jpeg.be247a4bca47f6a211f413af8f60c1ab.jpegE210D3FE-1707-49AE-825B-47A666E27038.jpeg.7c3c90574f5bac18bd5773347bb65d6b.jpeg

Wow! That explains a lot. Only 100 Locomobiles survived to today. Most Expensive car in 1920? Wonder if he included the Rolls Royce. And poor old Ed thinks the Pierce Arrow is the greatest American car. Ed, you need a Locomobile. I know, I know, you probably drive one once a week or so in your car rotation. Who needs to own a car when you get to drive someone else's, and get paid to do it! You live a charmed life my friend. Talk about being blessed!

Merry Christmas to all !

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Let's go from one end of the Locomobile spectrum with the unusual white "sport roadster" shown above to a video clip of what is claimed to be be the most expensive automobile built in 1920, a Locomobile.  Here is a link to a YouTube video, enjoy the provenance on this one....

Al

https://youtu.be/mvDh2RzV9dc

Bob Joint is a long time friend and a true gentleman. He is what makes the hobby worth all the bullshit I have to put up with. No one better, and a true early car guy. It's a great video. I will see Bob at our shop late next week..........maybe give him a ride in a JN or DV........

Im very fortunate to get to play with lots of cool stuff. That they pay me to do it is even more amazing. Having been around the hobby for fifty years has several distinct advantages. First is that many people want my opinion of how their car starts/runs/drives/stops......... so I have opportunities that few people get to have. Yes, as stated above I am a”Pierce Arrow” guy. There are many great cars of varying years......... for me Pierce was a long thought out choice..........that would be a thread as long as my 1917 White. I’m at the point where I can predict almost what any car will feel like behind the wheel. I’m down to a very small handful of early cars that I find interesting and have not driven............some of the list......Doble, Sunbeam Twin Cam Six, V-12 Hispano, Owen Magnetic, are the ones that come to mind. The Peerless 16 would be fun, but that won’t ever happen. 

I would like to take this moment to wish all those who read and participate on the Locomobile forums a Merry Christmas, fun Holidays and the best the New Year has to offer. Thanks for your contributions whether simply as a reader or a contributor.  Long live Locomobile!

Al

• Like 1