1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

I like the logic of removing an available lock to decode and create a key and then seeing if the key will fit the others. It's not expensive and worth a try. I don't believe there's usually valid numbers (it would only help thieves or lock pickers). If the locked box isn't openable a good locksmith may be able to "pick" it and then remove the cylinder to be keyed. Once the cylinder is out (of any of the locks) it is only a 1 minute exercise to decode what the key should be...or a 5 minute procedure to re-key it to your liking.

Here's a piece of history. The original spare tire lock that came with my 1919 Sportif. A Yale and Towne copper-cased lock that goes on the spare tire locking clamp, with the original key. According to the written history from prior owner Lee Davenport that accompanied my car, this lock and key are from the factory. When I had duplicates made, the key blank was in fact a Y6. Again, this same key also works the ignition switch, the tw o hood sides and the four tool compartment doors.

I don't have my '25 Loco here at home, so don't know if the same key blank was used.

Yale Lock 2.jpg

Yale Lock 1.jpg

Edited by jrbartlett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AHa said:

Ed,

Is that offer good for us other than Locomobile owners? My 1932 Graham needs an ignition key. There is a three digit number on the front of the lock. I'm not sure if that is the code for the key or not. If I had the contact number for your locksmith I could contact him directly and save you the time. Whaddaya think?

Send me a photo of the lock, the key-both sides, and year, make, and model info. He's in his 70's so he doesn't want to be flooded with 300 problem projects.......he will do them one at a time. Get me the info, I will get it to him to see if his book and key index has the information. In theory, he can cut it without the thing in hand, but it would be better if he did. 

All this talk of keys and locks has got me moving.  Attached will be two pictures from the storage compartments on the driver's side of the Demarest Limousine.  The first picture shows that the tumbler is missing.  The OD of the tumbler is approximately 1/4" total OD and the lock is about 1/2" OD.  The lock number appears to 840 and the prefix of L.  The second picture shows the Yale lock in place, but no key.  This lock is most likely an "off the shelf" item in 1925 and surely for many more years.  If you recognize this lock at face value as used elsewhere, please post so I can broaden my search to replace the missing unit.  The locks on this Locomobile are not in terrible condition as the automobile spent many years in quiet protected dry storage.  I hope you can help....

Al

IMG_20211118_164843329.jpg.d74566c19469f4ef55825cce459fb762.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

It looks like to me, as Ed and J Bartlett suggested, if you can take one of the locks off and or send Ed a number and name off the lock, you could have a key in a matter of a week and the one key may fit all of your locks. The locksmith may have a cylinder. I have several house locks from my work on antique houses; I would expect a locksmith might accumulate lots of locks and parts.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

4 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Here is the second picture.

Al

IMG_20211118_095508285.jpg.13641bbc08a071488b5beaef88e34a21.jpg

Dear Al, your photo is not clear enough, pls take another one for us. You could also clean the lock's face with a brush before taking the photo. I am quite sure you will find the lock's code number on it.

I can confirm what Edinmass and AHa have mentioned before: The locks have certain codes. If the code on two locks is the same, then the same key shall fit to them. James' Loco is equipped with L657-locks. The key bit looks different from my keys. I checked on both my 1917 and my 1921 Locos just now, and really, all of them have the code "L671" stamped on their face. I believe it is pure coincidence that my cars use the same code, but it should be the explanation why the keys are interchangable on my cars (which I mentioned in an earlier post). I think my keys do not necessarily fit to other Locomobiles, definitely not to James' Sportif.

If you can identify the lock number on your Demarest Limousine, you just need to find a friendly person with the same code on his car, which should be easy with such a big and active community!

haubenschloss IMG_2729.JPG

haubenschloss IMG_2730.JPG

haubenschloss IMG_2731.JPG

zündschloss IMG_2733.JPG

zündschloss klein IMG_2736.JPG

I can just about make out the number on one of Al's locks. It appears to be a L 15?? A little elbow grease, or a drill with a scotchbrite pad, or a wipe with some type of cleaner should bring up the name and number in two seconds flat. Then a key could be had by the end of next week and perhaps even a cylinder. Then we could see what treasures lurk in those locked compartments!

• Like 1

Per request by AH and Frank, I did try to outsmart my smart phone and convince it to focus on what I want.  I replaced the picture with a better image.  Check out the picture of the lock with the tumbler out. The number on the right appears to be 840.  More cleaning in better daylight tomorrow to determine what the prefix letter is.  I assume that I will find "L" for Locomobile.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Ok, I decided to play for a bit. I went back to a dash picture I had taken of the Demarest Limousine.  With a bit of manipulation I have a much better picture of my ignition switch.  I am sure that my ignition key is not going to be the same as the auxillary locks.  The shape of my ignition lock is most exactly like the similar image Frank shared.  I assume that the picture Frank shared is from his Sedan.  Share observations.

Al

1309693681_IMG_20210628_1036406532.jpg.2310501d57a4c96827408e38110e4611.jpg

Al,

You can see the letter on the left side of the lock face but in its current condition the letter looks to be an I. I'm hoping you plan on cleaning the face a bit more in the morning. A little metal polish on a piece of four ought steel should clean the lock enough so that no one has to guess at the letter or number. You really don't want to guess; you want to be sure of what you're looking at. The numbers certainly appear to be 840 but I wouldn't trust it in its current condition. Same with the ignition lock. A little cleaning should confirm the number.

2 hours ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

If you can identify the lock number on your Demarest Limousine, you just need to find a friendly person with the same code on his car, which should be easy with such a big and active community!

I have cleaned the lock face more and do have what I feel is an accurate determination on the lock number.  The light is better but I am still struggling on how to outsmart my smart phone and get it to focus on what I want not what my phone thinks I want!  My determination for the lock code is: L 849 (the L appears to be laying on its back).  What does this group think?

Al

IMG_20211119_122459433.jpg.709affce99a1aa1b2104482c01ac0444.jpg

I agree, L 849. Now, lets move on to the ignition lock and get you some keys. It would surprise me if the locksmith did not have a cylinder.

FYI On a house lock, a tube is  inserted before taking the cylinder out. This keeps the pins from falling out of the outer lock. You may have to take this lock out and send it to a locksmith so the pins can be replaced. I don't know about this particular lock.

Also, I would clean the metal shavings out of the inside of the lock sooner rather than later and I would recommend some light machine oil be applied. If this car has been setting a long time, everything tends to freeze up.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

I have been proactive with locksmiths in my regional area. The local fellow does good but does not have any of the key cutting code manuals.  A bigger business 200 miles away does have manuals and is waiting until I can get the door open to allow removal of the lock assembly.  He is then going to try to assist in replacing the missing cylinder and cutting the keys. I have my fingers crossed.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

21 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Ok, I decided to play for a bit. I went back to a dash picture I had taken of the Demarest Limousine.  With a bit of manipulation I have a much better picture of my ignition switch.  I am sure that my ignition key is not going to be the same as the auxillary locks.  The shape of my ignition lock is most exactly like the similar image Frank shared.  I assume that the picture Frank shared is from his Sedan.  Share observations.

Al

1309693681_IMG_20210628_1036406532.jpg.2310501d57a4c96827408e38110e4611.jpg

I too pictures of my 1921 Sedan as well as my 1917 tourer. Both have the same code and same key, except the Sedan's four doors, these are very different.

Here is the answer to the mystery of what would be found behind door #1.  For those not familiar, this piece is a vital item that connects the clutch assembly with the 4 speed Locomobile transmission.  This is indeed good news!  I have the complete clutch assembly and transmission, but I had not been able to verify this part.  The mystery behind door #1 will certainly help me sleep better tonight.  Who can tell me what is supposed to fit into the stationary wood holding blocks?  My guess is the jack?  I see the twist handle that engages the auxillary air compressor.

Al

IMG_20211119_155529843.jpg.8eb86e508862f74088c3e901260cace3.jpg

• Like 1

Al, my locksmith is my next door neighbor. He is in his 70’s. He doesn’t mind doing actual work. And he likes cool old cars. We trade rides and tours of the museum for my keys, happy to help if you need it.......he has the codes, and can cut the key. It’s better to have a lock in hand. Ed.

Al, I don't have a recipe, just mix some molasses with water and drop the part down in it and leave it for a day or two, depending on how rusty the item is. When it comes  out it will be black but you can wash the black off with water. The farm molasses works as good as the molasses packaged for human consumption. Cheap and easy. Your part looks like it would take about a day, but if you pull it out and its not to your liking, just put it back in. The mixture will not keep however. You'll have to make up a new batch each time.

I haven't heard of a sonic cleaner?

I think Ed's offer is the best way to go. If his guy has the codes for the keys, its a no brainer to let him cut the key. He may need the lock to fit a cylinder. Have you cleaned the switch face to confirm the code for it?

Hello Aha,

The Demarest Limousine is stored away for winter, makimg access to the dash hard to do.  If circumstances avail themselves, I do I tend to do that very thing and get the key code for the ignition.  I need to determine what the key blank is as the ignition uses a different key.  This is actually a fun process, to start with nothing and end up with working locks.  I am impressed that the nickel plating is still nice and shiny when scrubbed down on these locks.  Oh yes, a sonic cleaner is what jewelers use to clean rings and it works well for breaking down crud in parts like these locks.  This process is non destructive.

Al

With encouragement from several readers on this chat, I decided to dig deeper into the Demarest Limousine.  I did learn several things which I will cover on the next few posts.  The first confirmation is that the Yale door locks do share the exact same code as the splash apron storage compartment door locks Here is a picture of a cleaned up door lock, Yale key code L 840.

Al

IMG_20211122_150153642.jpg.baf2a5f5da3f73520ae0592e773712d3.jpg

Picture three, hood lock removed.  Yes the Yale key code is the same for the storage compartment, door and hood locks and yes these are 4 pin cylinder assemblies and yes these three applications do all require the same key blank.  Yes, I am learning and confirming good information, but I am not done yet.

Al

IMG_20211122_173612892.jpg.65b98b9e57e38d00de4f1e2c117a12de.jpg

• Like 1

My next GOOD thing to learn involves the ignition lock.  Here is the surprise, well another surprise comes up a bit later.  I cleaned off the ignition lock face and did learn that the ignition lock has the same key code, L 849, as all the other locks but does require a different key blank. To summerize, all key codes on all locks on the Demarest Limousine are the same, but a different key is required for the ignition. Here is a picture of the cleaned ignition switch.

Al

IMG_20211122_150353562_BURST000_COVER.jpg.0a109b1dcf6625cb42853a883d235929.jpg

• Like 1

I am not done yet, while I was digging around, I learned that what I thought about the jump seats and what are actually used are two very different designs!  Frank, comment when you can.  I had thought that my jump seats folded into the back of the cabin divider but actually my jump seat design is exactly the same as what Frank has found in his 6 passenger Locomobile sedan.  My jump seats fold up and slide under the front seat.  I will attach two representative pictures.

Al

IMG_20211122_154007673.jpg.c7c8f3a6061ff317a70026a2acbe3293.jpg

Here is another not so good thing I have learned.  I thought I had a complete hood.  I do have both hood top panels and both side panels but lack the main top center piece that the top panels are fixed to and pivot on.  Can someone help me with measurements so I can build the hood top center piece?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)