Passing it on to the next generation

Jstbcausd93

So I'm not new to the boards but haven't posted much over the years as I was sans classic Buick until this year when we picked "Maxine", a 1972 Centurion convertible.   I'm sure most of you know my dad, John DeFiore and his love of the Buick brand.  I'm very glad to say he passed that love on to me and yesterday I got to pass a little on to my "nephews" at the Olcott Beach auto show. 

Lately there's been a bit of negativity on the boards so I thought I'd start this thread and just offer some hope for the future of the hobby by sharing this pictures. By the way that guy did a great job with that duster. 

So show your pictures of the next generation getting "hooked". 

30991.jpeg

30992.jpeg

30990.jpeg

IMG_20180901_194951_933.jpg

Edited by Jstbcausd93
Spelling errors. (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I don’t have photos on this device, but many of you have met my family over the years.  I got my first Buick about the time I met my bride-to-be (actually, I’ve had the Wildcat longer than I’ve known her but just by a month or two).  We went to a local car club event in Saskatoon to drive out to the Berry Barn, where Saskatoon berries and strawberries are grown along with a gift shop and restaurant.  As we didn’t have a functional “old” car at that time, we rode shotgun...in the rumble seat of a Studebaker President (1931?).  After that, she stated the old car hobby was fine, which set the stage for the following years.  

We joined the BCA in time to attend the 2003 celebration in Flint.  I’d had hopes to drive the 1962 Special convertible down, but didn’t realize how much babysitting was involved in overseeing work to get done so it wasn’t ready.  At any rate, we attended the event.  At the time, our children were 3, 5, and 7.  Since the youngest was too young to take in the children’s overnight event, he stayed with us and attended the Huey Lewis and the News concert.  Since then, they have attended numerous national meets.  I believe 2 of the three (now 22, 20, and 18) have the points to qualify as Senior Judges with the BCA.

There have been many highlights along the way.  In 2013, after getting her driver’s license about 3 months previous, Teresa drove the first Reatta the 1,000 miles to South Bend.  We had registered before Suzanne had taken sick, so she stayed home...Teresa had Luke as navigator while Joseph was in the 1976 Century PCR with me.  When we got back, she said she’d never be afraid of highway driving.  She experienced a lot (border crossing, tolls, 75 mph speed limit, convoy).  That was the year Mark Shaw trailered our new 1923 to the meet and that was the first time they saw it.  They were enthusiastic in helping to push start it.  In 2015, the boys were young enough and still in school at the time of the Springfield meet, so Teresa stayed home with them for the Springfield meet that Suzanne and I attended...to make it up to them, Suzanne and the kids attended the Heartland Regional in Wisconsin with the Rainier.  2009 in Colorado Springs had a shortage of judges, so Teresa made the jump from Junior Judge to help judge Reattas and Luke was shadowing the team judging the 1959s.  That left Joseph alone, so the late great Dave Corbin showed him around the show field, answering questions and teaching the boy (then age 9).  They both enjoyed their time together...now excuse me while I pull myself back together.  RIP Dave.

For the 2014 meet in Portland, Luke had his learner’s license.  I was towing the 1954 with the truck, so Suzanne and the children shared driving duty with the Rainier.  Luke tested his mettle driving through the mountains in Montana and came through with flying colours...even putting on extra miles as they turned back to get something forgotten at the hotel the previous night.  Luke has taken to driving the Skyhawk this summer as well.

The latest chapter has us working on our estate plan, so we’ve asked each of the children to independently provide us with a list of their preferred cars should something happen to us.  We’ve amassed quite a collection.  The unfortunate part to date is that none of them know how to work a clutch, but that will change in due course.  The 1929 is almost ready to be on the road so that will provide a learning experience for us all.

Over the last 15 years, our children have grown up around cars and in the BCA.  It’s a bit of a dream to have a car show where we bring 5 Buicks together.  

It will be a project to go to the computer and pull together some relevant shots.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I don’t know if most of y’all would consider me the next generation (I’m 24) but from what I’ve seen on here I think I am in that boat. I have a 91 Reatta and I love it. I’d like to aquire something older at some point. But for now I’ll stick to spreading Reatta awareness. Got a decent amounts of comments at this show last weekend. 

8A3223B5-4C35-4A9C-ABAD-FF9AF58C9371.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Affordability is going to be what sells for the next generation. If not for the fact that I got my 56 for free, i would be looking at at least $2000 for a non- running car in my local area. In that price range, someone in their early 20s can easily buy a used 10-20 year old Japanese car and be on their way. Imagine what prices will be like in another 20 years. 

Not to mention how everyone tends to scare people away from buying projects and gravitate more towards finished restorations or driver vehicles with paint. It can become extremely overwhelming. All the people that grew up working on these cars, sad to say, aren't getting any younger either. 

Just things to consider for the future of the "classic car" hobby. It's a rich man's game for sure. 

Doug;  You know I encourage you to get the Overland on the road, anything I can do to help?  A newly restored 1928 Plymouth won Best of Show at Heritage Village yesterday.

Best of times to Cindy;  Gary

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Has to be older than me?  Dang, my car isn't old then?  Guess I will not have an "old" Buick 'cause I don't want wood frames.;)

Ben

Who made this rule.  That means I only have one "old car".   Not my riles.  I still claim to have three.  Maye even four.  I cannot figure out how to change my profile.

John