Gus and the Model Garage

Dave B.

While reading the latest issue of Hemmings Classic Car, I came across a letter from a Mr. Frank Williams which directed readers to a website that contained a collection of stories about 'Gus and the Model Garage' that were published in Popular Science from about 1925 through 1970. In the stories, Gus always offered excellent advice to his customers and correctly diagnosed and repaired their many varied automotive problems. You can find the stories here:  http://gus-stories.org/The_Stories.htm

As a young guy trying to learn about what made cars tick, I read every 'Gus' story I could get my hands on! The series was written by "Martin Bunn", which was a pen name for a number of Popular Science writers. I'd guess this was done to add continuity to the series.

Also, if you go back to the Home page, you'll have access to yet more articles, advertisements and magazine art from times gone by!

http://gus-stories.org/index.htm

Happy reading!

Dave B.

• Like 4

I recall the one where his radio in the shop had static,  and it disturbed him, when a friend was missing he realized the static was morse code, and the driver in a snow bank was trapped but sending sparks via magneto ( as I recall )

I will read them all 

Thanks for the lead 

I read one of such story in the mid 50's about a Plymouth that would stop and start while the husband driving, but never when the wife was. Husband was overweight and wife blamed the car stopping on his weight.

After some research it was determined hubby had a ton of keys on his ring. It turned out the ignition lock assy was worn and hubbys heavy keys caused the lock to break contact and shut the car off. Wife only had a house key and car key on her ring so it never happened to her.

To this day when we see a customer at our Subaru Service Centers with a bunch of keys on their key ring we tell them it causes additional wear on the tumbler and replacement is expensive. We then offer them a free disconnect key ring much like an air coupler with 2 loops. Its small and easy to use allowing the customer to remove the heavy bunch of keys and just have the ignition key in the tumbler.

Just sayin'

brasscarguy