Buicks at the 2018 PPG Syracuse Nationals

EmTee

I spent almost 6 hours on Friday walking the NYS Fairgrounds at the Syracuse Nationals.  It was a warm (upper 80's F) sunny day and the steady breeze was a lifesaver.  They claimed over 8000 cars attended and I believe it!  I must have walked 90% of the fairgrounds and I'm certain that I still did not see all of the cars.  It was an eclectic collection, ranging from rusty, non-running 'barn finds' to daily drivers, to full-on 6-figure customs and OEM restorations -- something for everyone.  Since this is a Buick audience, I thought I'd share some of the Buicks I came across while criss-crossing the grounds...  ;)

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

• Like 7

Is the PPG part of the name new?  Wasn't this part of the Right Coast Hot Rod Association?  I haven't been there but once since 2003, and it was probably 2008 or there abouts.  It sure is hot on that property!

PPG is the title sponsor.  In fact, I stopped by their display and spoke with one of the representatives concerning my trouble obtaining suitable touch-up paint for my '67 Riviera ("Goldie").  The color is "Riviera Gold" (Code Z).  I went to my local PPG jobber a year ago looking for some touch-up paint.  I was surprised to find they didn't have the formula for the color in single-stage enamel.  (The car was repainted in what appears to be acrylic enamel sometime prior to the time I bought it.)  The used their color camera on the car and plugged it into their computer, but could not identify an acceptable match.  Apparently there hasn't been enough demand to justify updating the color recipe for the modern paint formulas.

Anyway, he told me that the only way to go today is to start with the old recipe and then tint/adjust the ratios to match the paint on the car.  So, I asked whether they could provide me with the original color formula as a starting point.  Fortunately, he was able to go into their database and printed me a copy of the recipe.  Not surprisingly, it consists of four ingredients: clear metallic base, yellow, black and green pigments (it does have a greenish cast).

By the way, the PPG rep told me they have stopped producing lacquer paint.  When the product currently in the distributor/ jobber inventory is consumed, "that's all folks"...  :(

"By the way, the PPG rep told me they have stopped producing lacquer paint.  When the product currently in the distributor/ jobber inventory is consumed, "that's all folks"...  :("

I've considered an old fashioned lacquer application on my car.  The benefit is that it is very authentic and can be repaired.  The dis-benefit is that it is not a durable finish, being relatively easy to damage.  There are still companies that legally manufacture small batches.  

If you noticed a light green '53 Chevy, 6, stick, lowered with wheels there, it is a car that will stop you, he is a friend who had to lightly touch up after removing a sun visor, roof and windshield posts. I was at his place the day he started with one half pint of PPG, a small assortment of tints, pallet, and an artists brush to get the match for his car. It was interesting to watch. He came out right on the money. Just takes lots of patience.

There is also a rattle can blender out there now and it does a great job, once you touch up.

Bernie