Wide Whitewalls

SJF1948

One more thing.  Bias or radial?  Depends on how much you drive.  Bias will last 15 years or 15,000 miles; radials will last 5 years or 60,000 miles.  My last set of Silvertowns (5th set) lasted 2 years.  The next set from Diamondback radials lasted 5 years (35,000 miles).  Now if you smoke the tires a lot, then just get some cheap ones from WallyWorld.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Now if you smoke the tires a lot, then just get some cheap ones from WallyWorld.

Wally World it is then :D

Just kidding but there's always the possibility that my foot slips off the clutch at high revs. Because I'm leaning toward running them on some KH wires and from all the negatives I've read about radials on old KH wires, I'm probably going with bias. So if that's the case it will be between the BFG (made by Coker) and the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe which I assume is made by Goodyear and distributed by Kelsey.  Guess I need to make the wire wheel decision first and go from there. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MrEarl said:

and priced right too. What size is the WW on yours Chris? I had hoped to pick up a set of "somethings" at Universal Tire when we went to Hershey this year as that is where the store is but since no Hershey.......

I will have to let you know.  Overall I'm satisfied with the Universals.  I have had these on for 7 years.  Still look new.  The WW has not turned yellow or bubbled.      

This from Diamond Back

Lamar, I can do the auburn deluxe in 8.20-15 ( with the bias ply look), this is equivalent to a 235/75R15. We also have our Auburn Premium 235/75/15 as well. Nothing available in either auburn in the 225/75/15

If I was looking for something for a Roadmaster, the 8.20-15's would probably work fine but suspect there would be some scrubbing in the front on the Century. So looking more like going with the Coker BF Goodrich or the Goodyear  Super Cushion Deluxe both available from Summit (and hoping the Cokers aren't 5 years old already)   Anybody here had any experience with the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe?

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

So looking more like going with the Coker BF Goodrich or the Goodyear  Super Cushion Deluxe both available from Summit (and hoping the Cokers aren't 5 years old already)   Anybody here had any experience with the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe?

I have seen them on show cars and they look nice.

They are not made by Coker.

Same tread as Goodyears that we used on a 55 Special back in the 1960's.

Drive to the Summit store in GA (call first) and check date codes.  Less than 5 years old on bias ply would be acceptable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

This from Diamond Back

Lamar, I can do the auburn deluxe in 8.20-15 ( with the bias ply look), this is equivalent to a 235/75R15. We also have our Auburn Premium 235/75/15 as well. Nothing available in either auburn in the 225/75/15

If I was looking for something for a Roadmaster, the 8.20-15's would probably work fine but suspect there would be some scrubbing in the front on the Century. So looking more like going with the Coker BF Goodrich or the Goodyear  Super Cushion Deluxe both available from Summit (and hoping the Cokers aren't 5 years old already)   Anybody here had any experience with the Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe?

I put the 8.20-15 DBs on my 1940 and, although a tight fit, no rubbing. They look good too with the widest WW. Don't know what the fit would be on the '54.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrEarl said:

This from Diamond Back

You might want to take a closer look at the actual measurements of those 8.20-15s. He may be going by outside diameter. None of the "old" sizes have an aspect ratio number as low as 75, and IIRC there is a little funny business about the 8.20-15 size on top of it in some brands. Diamondback list their 8.20-15 at 29.2 inches tall and and an 8.2 inch section width. They list their 235-75-15 at 29 inches tall and a 9.2 inch section width. A 225-75-15 calculates to 28.3 inches tall and 8.8 inches of section width.

• Thanks 1

I got 10 years and about 12,000 miles from my first set of Coker's on my '60 Electra and it looks like the second set will right there with the same service. I bought them in 2012. I always run 35 PSIG. My grandfather stood next to either the recapping mold or the vulcanizer and said "We put them together with heat and pressure, that's how they come apart. Keep them at 35." Also lower pressures will tend to pull objects into the tire, where higher inflation tends to bounce things away.

On that car, don't start sinking time and money into it until it is legally in your own name.Put some insurance on it and license it in your state. There are a lot of guys out there who have cars that are in another person's ownership from decades ago. There is always the chance of a hitch when you go to get it licensed. Do that legal stuff first.

Bernie

Plain vanilla Coker biased Firestone repops. What is supposed to be on my car. Just looking down past the keyboard drawer and seeing Oxfords and a plain black T shirt, not Nike Airs and a Hard Rock Cafe souvenir shirt. All my stuff is period correct. No compensating here.

I run Coker Classics on my 60. 800-15 2 1/2 WW bias.  Nice riding tire.  I'm not going to sugar coat it...from 0-70-80 mph they ride very well.   I mean, I'm ready for the cuffs at that speed but at least it is a smooth ride until the red and blue lights behind me start flashing.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Coker Firestones, got ya...

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

All my stuff is period correct. No compensating here.

and I certainly wasn't suggesting otherwise. But I'm sure you realize all of Cokers tires aren't "rebadged" , some are badged Coker, hence my question, nothing meant by it.  I too wish to at least keep a "correct look" vs this

211875316_Cokerclassictire.thumb.jpg.549681add5a1258fc3d207770fa2212a.jpg

Which may very well be a fine tire...  Possibly the same tire as the BFG with the higher price of the BFG being due to the fact the company must have had to pay heavily for the molds and rights to the names, who knows....

Regardless, since I can't find a suitable, recommended, correct size bias look radial plus all the controversy of not running radials on the old Kelsey Hayes wire wheels, I've decided to go with Willies recommendation of (Coker) BF Goodrich Silvertown 760-15 2.5 inch whitewall. Now onto figuring out what tubes, flaps ect ect and who the heck to get to mount them.  But me thinks I'll start a new thread for that or perhaps one more related.  THANKS EVERYBODY for your thoughts and input.

cok-59200_w.jpg?rep=False

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You had to know I was smiling. Restraint is my least recognized attribute.

Mine say Firestone. I was just getting a shot in at the old  guys who show up at the cruise night with the ubiquitous T shirts, Nikes (with support socks), and the cute little pony tail. They have radials.

My first born was lying on the should of the dirt road to get this shot on biased tires at 50. I knew he was safe.

Dust-4.jpg.950d4f996b41f11000733e136476d1bb.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

You had to know I was smiling. Restraint is my least recognized attribute.

Mine say Firestone. I was just getting a shot in at the old  guys who show up at the cruise night with the ubiquitous T shirts, Nikes (with support socks), and the cute little pony tail. They have radials.

My first born was lying on the should of the dirt road to get this shot on biased tires at 50. I knew he was safe.

Dust-4.jpg.950d4f996b41f11000733e136476d1bb.jpg

This photo is absolutely EPIC!

13 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Having two needy children in the garage one watches their P and Q on parts! 

Oh I understand FULLY... and as much as you want to treat all the needy children equally, seems one or the other is always crying for more. I've finally told the wagon to hold your horses for awhile so I can help get the Century back on the road again. I literally sold the wheels out from under the Century quite some ago and just now finding the funds to re-shoe her. 

• Like 1