1928 Peerless Coupe

mil*man

Yes, the Peerless Motor Car Club exists, and I believe they

get together every October at the big Hershey show.

Brando Pistorius is knowledgeable about Peerlesses,

and he visits the AACA forum from time to time.

He sells one occasionally, and I think he restores them too.

There's another fellow (Jeff ?) who's ardent with Peerlesses.

Maybe he'll show up and introduce himself.

Congratulations on buying an interesting car!

Hi Mark ! You just KNOW we all would love to see pics of your unusual Peerless ! Jeff Brown is indeed keeper of the Peerless Scrolls. I think he (or someone else) , did post a pic or two of your car a while back. I had hoped the new owner would show up here ! Looking foreward to following you around while you play with your new toy !    - Carl 

Hi Mark. More later --- have been doing an assignment and couldn´t write much here for awhile.

Great to hear about your new car!  Please contact Mark Desch: markd@sas-mn.com to see about joining the club. $30/yr. U.S., $40 foreign.

I own a roster of what I think are all the Peerlesses worldwide w/locations/owners/ser.#s/etc. that still survive: KPAIE.  Interested to see which one you got.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Mark(mil*man),

For about a 5-year run, about 2010-2014, the Peerless Motor Car Club had a booth at Hershey. By a miracle I made it once; Peerless promoter David Baird and I had a 30 x 30 tent there in 2013 and were mobbed with people wanting information. We also had one of just three 1909 Peerlesses in the world on display -- and a 1917 Pierce-Arrow -- owned by David.

Cadillac Carl and Mark W. both appear to know which Peerless it is you just acquired. I haven´t a clue. 1. The restored yellow&black ´28 Mod. 6-80 B.T. Coupe for sale in Joplin, MO? There was a full-page photo of it in Automobile Quarterly, VOL 11, NO 1, pg 100, the issue with the 32-pp Peerless Story.   2. The partly-restored ´28 Mod. 6-80 B.T. Coupe for sale at Significant Cars in Indianapolis that had a small fortune spent on complete wood replacement and a rebuilt engine? 3. The unrestored blue ´27 Mod. 6-90 B.T. Coupe for sale on e-bay, and on the Peerless Forum about a year ago? Not the same -- but close -- was in S.W. MO, price was $39,500. Sold to a collector in Verona, WI.  4. The restored yellow&black ´28 Mod. 6-80 B.T. for sale by a collector in Turkey?

Brando & Joanne Pistorius of FL have restored 6 or 7 Peerless cars in the last 6 years (including a 1926 6-80 2-Door Sedan)and are really up on them. There´s a ´29 Mod. 6-81 Victoria F/S right now....green....4-passenger....looks brand new.

John_S is right -- you have an interesting car. Even if you had a Peerless with lots of surviving examples, a 1929 6-61 for example, just as a Peerless it is sixteen times as rare as a Packard. There are a few carbuilders who made boattail roadsters(Auburn, Duesenberg, Essex, Hispano-Suiza, Lincoln, Packard & Stutz), but boattail coupes are almost unheard of...only a 1-off ´26 Rickenbacker comes to mind besides the ones Peerless constructed 1926-1928. The Peerless Co. called their boattail coupe the ¨Roadster Coupe¨, and their boattail roadster the ¨Roadster¨. They were available in the 6-60, 6-80, 6-72, 6-90, and 8-69 models...with 4 engines spanning 199 to 332 cubic inches.

In an hour, you can learn a lot about Peerless just by getting a copy of the 1973 AQ issue mentioned above on ebay. Last copy I got was 10 bucks. You need this if you own a Peerless: it walks you through the Peerless Motor  Car Company´s entire history, has veddy good photos, and is well written. Reading the AACA Peerless Forum, as Tinindian said, will get you abreast of what´s going on with Peerlesses, too, if you have the time to read it[the thing´s book-length now]. Use the AACA Forums Private Message function to send me your mailing address & I´ll be happy to send you a couple of copies of our Co-Operator publication {like most things in my life} pro bono.

A.J., thanks for saying something positive about my understanding of Peerless, but people like Richard Lichtfeld, Don Bettes, Brando and Joanne Pistorius, Don Elliot, and Alan Clendenen have forgotten more than I know. I´ve only seen 16 Peerlesses in person and often get questions I can´t answer.  I appreciate you giving me credit for being all-knowing....but I never began studying the marque until spotting a 1924 6-70 in a roadside used car lot 11 years ago. You´d give me a lot more credit if I could find a coach-built straight-eight Peerless for you somewhere!

Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
Last paragraph accidentally erased when editing. (see edit history)

I just want to second your opinion about Don Bettes. He knows about Peerless. He is also a great person. We went out to Ohio to see him in November and spent all day together. A real gem in the old car hobby. I am sure he would love to talk bout your Peerless. I have his number if you want to pm me 

Guys, thanks for the overwhelming response. It's really appreciated. I have already sent Mark Desch an email to introduce myself.  The car is the 28 boat tail coupe that was in Joplin MO. I had only  ever seen 1 other Peerless in person some years ago and was totally unaware of the boat tail coupes and roadsters until I came across this car. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past week reading the posts here on the forum and learning a lot. Being up in New York I was aware of  Peerless as one of the 3 "P's". I was  however surprised as to the rarity of Peerless as compared to Pierce Arrow.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:50 PM, mil*man said:

Guys, thanks for the overwhelming response. It's really appreciated. I have already sent Mark Desch an email to introduce myself.  The car is the 28 boat tail coupe that was in Joplin MO. I had only  ever seen 1 other Peerless in person some years ago and was totally unaware of the boat tail coupes and roadsters until I came across this car. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past week reading the posts here on the forum and learning a lot. Being up in New York I was aware of  Peerless as one of the 3 "P's". I was  however surprised as to the rarity of Peerless as compared to Pierce Arrow.

On 2/10/2018 at 6:11 PM, mil*man said:

Hi, Mark here. I just purchased a 28 boat tail coupe. Does anyone know if the Peerless Motor Car club still exists? I'm looking for information on the registry of Peerless cars.

What was the 1 other Peerless you saw years ago? With your car going from Missouri to New York that will make 18 known there when it arrives. Since you joined the PMCC, I sent you access to the KPAIE registry an hour ago, it will arrive as a Google Docs email. 359 vehicles at present on KPAIE: 351 cars/7 trucks/1 hearse.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)