Auburn Speedster paint scheme

West Peterson

That’s a well known photo, looks like the car is black and possibly gray. Having driven a handful of Auburn Speedsters, I have come to the conclusion any color is fine by me.......they are just pure fun to drive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I like the tire chains and no top in the winter.  Now that's real sports car driving. 

That would make a great photo for my avatar. 

The driver looks pretty tall in relation to the car. I'm not sure he *could* put the top up, even if he wanted to.

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

On 2/3/2018 at 1:04 PM, West Peterson said:

This is my favorite paint scheme for an early Auburn Speedster, but I don't think I've ever seen one painted this way. Are there any restored cars like this? (Or any originals?)

I agree with you West.  I'm a big believer in one color, but the Auburn belt lines were designing for at least 2.   Most/many current color schemes are horrible.   Here are a couple that I saw at Pebble that I liked:

image.thumb.png.641dc63a35dbe8cf8d4b398a827faee4.png

image.png.0e279a482379ce107147551aa9e3e8cb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

That is a nice looking paint job. I can not recall any painted like that today.

The current Rolls Royce Dawn would be the closest today.  https://www.caranddriver.com/rolls-royce/dawn

And with Rolls Royce's 'Bespoke' special order program, one can have it painted in ANY color combination, including those vintage Auburn colors. 

Craig 

• 2 weeks later...

AJ, the car had the new and trick Goodyear multiple rib side walls on it........a correct in the era design that have been out of production for quite a while. There were many positive comments on them. And, by the way, I just finished another set of wheels...........painted spokes so we can have blackwalls also.......where are my spoke covers??

• 3 months later...

Reminds me of those accessory double wiper blades you could buy in the late 80's early 90's.  Something you could buy to jazz up all those less than exciting designs Detroit was offering at the time. 

Does anyone know if Auburn offered a color like that back in the day?   It's about one of the boldest paint schemes I have ever seen on one of these.   I think with one of these,  the last thing you need to do is add that kind of look at me factor.  If it was solid black you would still be noticed in it.  

I know the black wall crowd on here might even let you keep the whitewalls on this one,  just to help draw your eye away from that stripe so you can may. be appreciate the rest of the car.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

The Duessy wasn't what I was questioning.  The Auburn paint scheme was.  I could live with the Duessy colors.  The Auburn,  would go to the paint shop or maybe even a can of rustoleum a little thinner and a good brush in the driveway and I could cover it up enough so that I wasn't embarrassed to drive it.  With that neon green it looks like it should have a 350 / 350 under the hood. 

• 2 years later...