Another mystery roadster

nzcarnerd

I found another pic of what I presume is the same car. I guess Colorado required cars to have a plate at the rear only as the front on views show no plate.

I think I drove over Berthoud Pass on my 1978 road trip. It would have been quite a climb in 1918. I guess they did high altitude tuning then too? From what I can find the Kissel used an 'own make' 284 cid L head six - 3 3/16" x 5 1/2" developing about 60 bhp. With a 3.6:1 rear end it would go quite well by the standards of the time.

I know my California Pontiac didn't really perform on those high mountain roads. I think about 35 mph was all it would manage - 326 and M20 auto in a '67 LeMans.

Continental divide at Berthoud Pass (1024x576).jpg

All,

The Swedish car is not a Kissel. Kissel fenders up until mid 1921 were flat, not crowned as the ones in this picture are. Also, the windshield, hood and radiator shapes are each a bit different. 

Answering a previous post, yes, Kissel Kars were sold out West and, because of their Wisconsin-built ruggedness, horsepower and style, people with money liked them. You could buy ten Model Ts or one Kissel, but if you definitely wanted those attributes, you could buy a Kissel.

Pictured below is my original 1924 Kissel which was purchased from a guy in Montana a few years ago. Runs powerfully.

Thanks,

Ron Hausmann P.E.  

1924 Kissel Model 6-55 Coupe Garth.jpg

photo 1 (14).jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...