Front bumper 63-64

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

I purchased a front bumper bar on the weekend and the description given was 1964 Buick Riviera. It is driver condition and appears better that what is on my '63.

1. Are the 63-64 bumpers interchangeable without problems.

2. Any pitfalls to be aware of when removing and replacing them? I have already the new rubber spacers that fit the ends.

Any help would be appreciated 

Rodney

One suggestion that might be helpful is to get all the bolts started before you tighten any up....otherwise some of them

won't line up. Also, do it with two helpers so you don't scratch the paint on the fenders. Let them hold the bumper up to the car on each end while you get the bolts started.

• Like 1

OK Rodney: MANY SMALL ITEMS to be addressed. 

1. Chase all bolts and nuts with the tap and die so they are easily screwed on. If the nuts are stiff it makes for tons more work.

2. Tape the bumper well as not to scratch the paint.

3. Installation is a 2 person job. One to adjust and the other to  view and relay where the bumpier is positioned.

4. This could  be a big problem. Make sure the bumper fits. Many bumpers have been tweaked either from a bump or a lousy rechrome job and JUST WON'T FIT RIGHT!!!!

I've installed many front bumpers on First-Gen Rivs and I hope these tips help.   Mitch

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

"Hi all,

I purchased a front bumper bar on the weekend and the description given was 1964 Buick Riviera. It is driver condition and appears better that what is on my '63."

Hey Mr. Rodney,

Last time I swapped a bumper I was alone. So I borrowed 2 sofa cushions from the house and placed them under in case of a drop. Was the wife ticked!

Whats the going rate for a bumper re-chrome by you?

We are up to 1500. US dollars here. Getting ridiculous.

Thanks

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Rodney,

I have also done the bumper by myself. Not that hard to do. It is not the preferred method but, sometimes that's all you have. Definitely use the extra set(s) of hands if you have them. As stated in the previous post, make sure you have something on the ground to protect the bumper in case of a slip. I keep large pieces of cardboard around for situations like that. As stated make sure the fender is protected from being scratched and also protect the painted bumper filler as well. I just had a really nice rechrome done on my upper bumper done this spring for less than $400.00. Is the high price for a rechrome a regional thing?

Bill

5 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Rodney,

I have also done the bumper by myself. Not that hard to do. It is not the preferred method but, sometimes that's all you have. Definitely use the extra set(s) of hands if you have them. As stated in the previous post, make sure you have something on the ground to protect the bumper in case of a slip. I keep large pieces of cardboard around for situations like that. As stated make sure the fender is protected from being scratched and also protect the painted bumper filler as well. I just had a really nice rechrome done on my upper bumper done this spring for less than $400.00. Is the high price for a rechrome a regional thing?

Bill

Mr. Bill,

If you are pleased with your re-chroming source please forward me the contact info.

Over the last couple years I have had estimates from at least 3 shops for similar pieces needing no reconditioning besides de, and re-chroming. = At extreme rates. Shipping costs excluded!

$400 dollars is one heck of a deal!

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, PWB said:

Mr. Bill,

If you are pleased with your re-chroming source please forward me the contact info.

Over the last couple years I have had estimates from at least 3 shops for similar pieces needing no reconditioning besides de, and re-chroming. = At extreme rates. Shipping costs excluded!

$400 dollars is one heck of a deal!

Thanks.

Paul,

I took my bumper to Keystone Automotive. The parent company is LKQ Corporation. Some of the stores go by LKQ. They are a chain of automotive stores that we have here in Wisconsin. I do not know how widespread they are around the country. I did a quick search and I saw stores as far west as Colorado and as far south as Florida. It is a very nice situation. You take your bumper in to their store and drop it off. They will give you an estimate for the rechroming according to what piece you bring in. My original quote was $459.00 which I thought was very reasonable. When I went in to pick it up and pay, they only charged me $367.20. The guy told me that they overquote in case the bumper is not in as good of shape as originally thought and they have to to some repair. He said my bumper was in very good shape so the cost of the rechrome was less because no extra work had to be done.They have trucks that come around once or twice a week to pick up rechroming items so you don't have to worry about transporting it or packaging it for shipping. Keystone has their own replating operation in Minnesota. This is one reason the price is so reasonable. With their own plant they control quality and can guarantee you get the same piece back that you brought in. Let me know if you need any more info.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Paul,

I took my bumper to Keystone Automotive. The parent company is LKQ Corporation. Some of the stores go by LKQ. They are a chain of automotive stores that we have here in Wisconsin. I do not know how widespread they are around the country. I did a quick search and I saw stores as far west as Colorado and as far south as Florida. It is a very nice situation. You take your bumper in to their store and drop it off. They will give you an estimate for the rechroming according to what piece you bring in. My original quote was $459.00 which I thought was very reasonable. When I went in to pick it up and pay, they only charged me $367.20. The guy told me that they overquote in case the bumper is not in as good of shape as originally thought and they have to to some repair. He said my bumper was in very good shape so the cost of the rechrome was less because no extra work had to be done.They have trucks that come around once or twice a week to pick up rechroming items so you don't have to worry about transporting it or packaging it for shipping. Keystone has their own replating operation in Minnesota. This is one reason the price is so reasonable. With their own plant they control quality and can guarantee you get the same piece back that you brought in. Let me know if you need any more info.

Bill

There is a shop in my area that does all the prep work which I am told is the most important step and then sends the bumper to Keystone for the actual replating because their tanks are not large enough. The charge varies depending on the bumper but I recently had a front bumper for a `64 Olds Starfire done and was charged $800. Not quite the bargain Bill is getting but the prep work is excellent-no wavy replates!

Tom Mooney

26 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Rodney,

If you would, post a picture of your complete assembly next to a ruler that has inches instead of metric units.  We folks up over (opposite of down under ?) can then get a better idea of what you have and what you're looking for.

Wrong post Ed?

Also ... Google search 455mm = 17.91"

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

15 hours ago, PWB said:

Hey Mr. Rodney,

Last time I swapped a bumper I was alone. So I borrowed 2 sofa cushions from the house and placed them under in case of a drop. Was the wife ticked!

Whats the going rate for a bumper re-chrome by you?

We are up to 1500. US dollars here. Getting ridiculous.

Thanks

Hi Paul, about the same price as two sofa cushions, cos now it's gonna cost you big time! New fridge, new sofa, curtains to match ......

I have never costed to rechrome as my original is reasonably good. I bought this one as a backup just in case, as it was too good a bargain to pass up. It would cost me possibly that much to ship a used one out to Australia, plus the cost of the bar. 

So so will have a close look which is best afore I switch em.

I have been looking at my front bumper and thinking about plating it for...maybe....20 years. Since my incident with the scissors lift I am going to replace the fight front fender. Last week, having coffee, my friend told me he is taking some chrome to a real good shop in Syracuse in December.  That's two good motivators. Tomorrow seems like a great day to take it off.

I am figuring around $600 for the bar. My friend doesn't know that I know a good pierogi spot nearby. It is across the corner from the first federal subsidized housing in the US, dedicated by Elanor Roosevelt.

Chrome, piergis, and history, what a trip!

Bernie