INTERESTING STORY ON 1ST. GEN. RIVIERA

Mr Riviera

Heard this interview on YouTube. And I still have the Hemmings Muscle Machines issue that it appeared in back in 2005. As a matter of fact, I have EVERY magazine I have ever seen that has 1st Gen Rivs in it back to at LEAST 1985. To say I love these cars would be a huge understatement. Still love your car, Dick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
20 minutes ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Ed this is it

Not the 63 frame that came with the car. Way too wide and this one has a handle on the top.  Nice but not the one.  I think this was an over the parts counter frame from the dealership.  I've seen these before.

Just put a narrow door edge guard around the edge of the plate and youll be close. It would cover as much of the back of the plate as the front. Not much wider than the bead around the plate. Hardly noticeable. ?

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Not the 63 frame that came with the car. Way too wide and this one has a handle on the top.  Nice but not the one.  I think this was an over the parts counter frame from the dealership.  I've seen these before.

Just put a narrow door edge guard around the edge of the plate and youll be close. It would cover as much of the back of the plate as the front. Not much wider than the bead around the plate. Hardly noticeable. ?

Ed,

I checked the `63 thru `65 Buick parts books today and the license plate frame illustrated in this thread is the correct factory frame for the `63 Riv...same part # for `63 thru `65. I dont know what you had on your Riv but if it didnt have the "handle" to pull down the license plate frame to fill the fuel tank then it wasnt factory. The other Buick models without the fuel fill behind the license plate had a plain stainless frame without the built in handle. Perhaps that is what was on your Riv?

Tom Mooney

I guess we'll never know what I had.  The old man I bought the car from was very adamant about keeping everything "factory" except for what he had done to it for trailering.  I'm wondering why the 64 and 65 window stickers don't mention it as the 63 did.  If what is shown above "factory" then it must have come on every 64 and 65 that came out of the factory as standard equipment, not an over the counter part to be added later.  How is this frame mounted to the plate? 

I can also imagine that the frame came in some sort of package for the buyer.  The car would not have a plate on it from the factory.  So you have to ask how many owners did not put the frame on the plate.  Or It could have also been for a license plate for the front.  

Here's a promotional picture of a '63 that shows some kind of frame around a front plate.  I don't know what kind of liberties were given to the promo people but they had to get the idea somewhere.

51kKIeIJX9L.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

They have spring clips on the back

I wasn't working at  Buick dealership then, generally owners manuals, second set of keys, spinners, things of that nature are in the trunk and sorted out at the dealer. I've had a 63/4/5, all had this rear plate frame, none up front. Steve

6 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Where are all of them now?  

The 63 I got from original owner in Sandiego, Dick S helped with the transaction. That car went to Australia.

The 64 is here now

The 65 came from Delaware, Ron DeG in Rochester bought it from Moore in McGungie (if you know him). I bought it from Ron, sold it to 

a Charter Member on this site...I believe the car is in Denmark now

I have others too present and past but they didn't/don't have the plate frame.

My point is that if these were standard on every first generation, there should have been over 100,000 of these produced.  But there are none to be found.  What has happened to over 100,000 license plate frames?  They're not on the cars, they're not on eBay.  The vendors who advertise in the Riview don't have them.  I've not seen any on any cars at the ROA meets I've attended since 1989.  ?????????  Something's not quite making sense. Someone has to have an explanation as to where they all are.  You can find the rear license plate holders anywhere, and the front holders are around.  But NO FRAMES.  ?

They were built flimsy. The spring clip that holds the frame to the plate has a tiny rivet that wasn't made to last.

How many cars still have the original spark plug wires with the rubber hole covers at the head?
How many 65s have the bracket and clip that hold the heater control valve?

Stuff gets tossed.

I guess if both 63-65 Technical Advisors say these were original equipment that's good enough for me.

Guess I been lucky, I see them often enough..Steve

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

My point is that if these were standard on every first generation, there should have been over 100,000 of these produced.  But there are none to be found.  What has happened to over 100,000 license plate frames?  They're not on the cars, they're not on eBay.  The vendors who advertise in the Riview don't have them.  I've not seen any on any cars at the ROA meets I've attended since 1989.  ?????????  Something's not quite making sense. Someone has to have an explanation as to where they all are.  You can find the rear license plate holders anywhere, and the front holders are around.  But NO FRAMES.  ?

Ed,

Perhaps you havnt been looking for them because you did not know they were the original plate frames? I see them on some cars at the meets, they can be obtained on Ebay and occasionally NOS frames appear on Ebay. I have the rest.....LOL...point is, they are around

Tom

• Like 1

I`m sure the license plate frames were shipped loose with the cars and the dealer was responsible for installation...or, the dealer was expected to keep them in stock and should have been delivered to the customer. Many of the frames didnt go out the dealership door with the cars. Back a few years at the Flint meet there was a vendor who spent many years at a Buick dealership and he had a STACK of new frames he had accumulated because they were never installed on the cars as intended.

Gungee is also correct in that they are a PITA to swap a plate into and the fingers do fall off the frame.

Tom

11 minutes ago, gungeey said:

Here's one right here...17th picture...looks like they threw a rod

There's one right behind the oil pan..just have to look around, ED!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Buick-Riviera-BASE/264002324542?hash=item3d77c3c83e:g:0vIAAOSwTFBbxRiz:rk:23:pf:0&vxp=mtr

LOL...good eyeball Steve! I think that might be the front frame...

Tom

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

The 63 I got from original owner in Sandiego, Dick S helped with the transaction. That car went to Australia.

The 64 is here now

The 65 came from Delaware, Ron DeG in Rochester bought it from Moore in McGungie (if you know him). I bought it from Ron, sold it to 

a Charter Member on this site...I believe the car is in Denmark now

I have others too present and past but they didn't/don't have the plate frame.

Steve,

I communicated with a fellow a few months ago who had your `65 up for sale...he was on the east coast and said he purchased the car from a fellow that lived down the street who was a Riviera Nut. He was into old clocks big time if that is a clue. I inquired about the car because it was presented as a dual quad 425 but after vetting found it was a 401 car...I`m sure it was your former `65.

Tom Mooney

1 minute ago, RivNut said:

One last question, if I may.  Can anyone explain why the license frame is not listed on the 64 orv65 window sticker?

Thanks again.  

Ed,

I`m not sure if it is written on the ORIGINAL window sticker (be careful, there are repros out there) but I`m sure it appears in the showroom catalog, etc...

Tom

4 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Did they come with two frames then?  When I looked at this one, I didn't see any signs of the handle on it.

Ed,

Your window sticker states "frame" which would imply only the rear was standard. This makes perfect sense as it aids the owner in fueling the car. They were frames available for the models which did not have the fuel fill behind the license plate and they did not have the "handle". These can be used on the front.

Tom

4 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Steve,

I communicated with a fellow a few months ago who had your `65 up for sale...he was on the east coast and said he purchased the car from a fellow that lived down the street who was a Riviera Nut. He was into old clocks big time if that is a clue. I inquired about the car because it was presented as a dual quad 425 but after vetting found it was a 401 car...I`m sure it was your former `65.

Tom Mooney

That was a pretty car BurgundyMist/Factory BlackTop/ White interior... Chicago Black Hawks Colors

The one that started with JMoore was Turquoise.. pure show car

Steve, I remember the burgundy mist car.  It was stunning!  I wish I kept your old turquoise mist car but I enjoyed it for the years that I had it.  I believe it has changed hands 4-5 times since I sold it.  It made its way to the left coast and was auctioned off last year.

I could tell that my car used to have the frame on the rear plate because there were factory

spacers on the lower license plate mount that were there to allow the frame to clear the bumper when the 

gas filler door was pulled down. I removed them because I felt it looked better without the gap at the bottom between the plate and the bumper.

My Dad's 65 had the frame when it was a new car, but it broke a few years later and was thrown away, probably why there aren't any around anymore.

• Like 1