Generator regulations for flea market vendors

dalef62

First off I want to thank Hershey Region and all that helped make this another great year at Hershey!!!  A huge undertaking that seems to go off without a hitch every year.

My question concerns the running of generators at night, it used to be the generators had to be shut off at 10pm.  This year we were told by on official that it was 11pm?  I looked in my vendor information and I didn't see anything at all about generators???  Has the rule of 10pm shutoff time changed and if so why is it not in the vendor information?  By 10pm, I am tired and ready for bed and some of the generators are quite loud.  Whatever the time is it should be posted in the vendor information.

Thanks,

Dale 

Good question. A back close neighbor is very considerate to not run his generator a lot and to run a long flex hose to exhaust at the front of his booth instead of into ours. A fellow down the aisle ran much of the time including all night on Friday. I thought about hiking down and knocking on his door about 3 in the morning to ask if he knew his generator was still on.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem in the Chocolate South. Friday night at 4:00 I went to security and complained about a very loud generator running. The security guard told me that he was the wrong guy and I would have to find the guards that were riding in the golf carts. Never did find the guards and the generator ran all night...

Frank

Not sure what the rules are concerning generators on the swap meet fields. 

I have been staying with friends in their RV on the RV parking field that HE&R runs where the old airport once was.

On that field, the generator rule is that they cannot be run from 10 pm to 7 am which I have found that all RV owners follow.

The one exception is the generator that runs the portable light unit near the HE&R trailer which runs all night long.

This year my friends parked their RV further away from the HE&R trailer and we could not hear the generator even with all the windows open in the RV due to the warm overnight temperatures.

Hopefully Steve M. can bring this to the attention of Hershey Region and they can look into this situation further for next year.

Hi,

There is another concern about generators running at night and that is the deadly risk associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

I predict that there will be a time when someone would be overcome at night from the odorless, fumes.

Let's be realistic and put out a policy and enforce it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dalef62 said:

We had one across the isle that was mounted in a box trailer that was charging up several mobility carts inside the trailer.  The people were staying at a motel and the generator would run till it ran out of gas...

Or until it was given a dose of a certain midnight additive ......................Bob

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I checked the flea market regs for 2017 and couldn't find any mention about the use of generators.

I do remember from a few years ago about the 10:00PM curfew. I also remember a requirement to provide an exhaust stack. Perhaps 10' in height.

At one time, late one evening, I pointed out that a generator on the North of the security office trailer was running after the curfew. I was informed by the security person that the generator wasn't in the flea market, and therefore was not bound by the regs.

Where does the responsibility for this belong?

AACA, HERCO, Hershey Region?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 4:38 PM, dalef62 said:

We had one across the isle that was mounted in a box trailer that was charging up several mobility carts inside the trailer.  The people were staying at a motel and the generator would run till it ran out of gas...

Or when it accidentally on purpose stalled with half a tank remaining??