322 valve cover stud and spark plug cover

I am ready for paint on my 53 engine, few little details that concern me. The valve cover top nut just does not fit as I think it should. I have checked the parts book and it does not call out a seal washer under the nut, Centerville Auto in California advised that no gasket under this nut, not enough oil up top to worry about it leaking.  The gasket kit has a seal for this area but it does not fit in the recess it has a larger OD. As you can see the nut  will just dig in the cover. I am thinking of making a small gasket for this area.

I have looked for pictures of the spark plug shields installed,

but detail on the nut and stud is not easy to see.  One thought is the new nuts are just a bit taller, what is the acceptable protrusion on these studs; I plan on making new studs and having a few threads exposed.  

Thanks for suggestions

Steve  

59b8ba22cf2eb_valvecoverstud.thumb.jpg.aaad88d38a9f6b37e34e3fadf631883c.jpg59b8ba54cf1fa_sparkplugcoverstud.thumb.jpg.c7263411a8dd25820053df08e92fbead.jpg

May or may not be strictly "correct" but I put a thin washer under the nuts to prevent nut rash. I also turn the spark plug cover nuts down to about 1/2  thickness. They are under so little tension no worries about stripping them, they look more proportional and the stud protrusion is flush ......................Bob

4 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

May or may not be strictly "correct" but I put a thin washer under the nuts to prevent nut rash. I also turn the spark plug cover nuts down to about 1/2  thickness. They are under so little tension no worries about stripping them, they look more proportional and the stud protrusion is flush ......................Bob

I use a washer under the nuts that secure the valve cover. This helps even the pressure on the rubber gasket.  

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

The flat side towards the covers.  I believe the flat side helps even the pressure over a wider area than opposed to the cone shape of the  nut going into the depression in the cover.   

If the depression in the cover is semi-spherical (Is it?), wouldn't the rounded end distribute pressure more evenly?

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I believe the nut in my picture is the correct height, found an old rusty version in a box of parts and it is the same height.

Did Buick have a different height on this nut for different years; are you modifying just to fit your needs?

I like the idea of shorting the nut some with the correct look retained.

The seal that came in the gasket kit does not fit in the top of the valve cover correctly. I can make something work is a seal needed, I was told not that a seal is not a big deal. 

I hate oil leaks so I am building a test stand for the engine now, test run and check for leaks. Then pickle the engine, and then continue with the project.

Steve

Rounded side up.  Try a piece of heavy gasket paper cut the diameter of the nut and fit it snug over the stud.  Wont rash the paint, no oily fumes leak out.  I did the same on the spark plug covers so the paint doesn't get beat up.  Depends how accurate you want to be.

For anyone assembling a 1953-1956 Buick V-8 engine, it should be obvious . . . . .

The 4 hold-down studs for the valve rocker arm covers are longer than the 4 studs for the spark plug covers.

Buick came up with these lengths by having the stud’s 7/16” embedded thread length into the cylinder head equaling the 7/16”-high domed-nut.   

All 8 studs have fine and coarse threads measuring 5/8” long on opposite ends.

The tapped holes in the cylinder heads for all 8 studs measure close to 3/4" deep.

‘Burying’ the threaded studs into the cylinder head more than 7/16” deep will result in the tip of the stud not being flush with the highest point on the domed outer face. Your picture reflects that.

The Shop Manual calls out for only a 4-5 foot-pound torque reading on these nuts. I can’t think of a good reason for installing these studs deeper into the cylinder heads, longer studs, or shaving the height of the domed-nut. That identical nut has been used by Buick since 1925.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, 1953mack said:

For anyone assembling a 1953-1956 Buick V-8 engine, it should be obvious . . . . .

The 4 hold-down studs for the valve rocker arm covers are longer than the 4 studs for the spark plug covers.

Buick came up with these lengths by having the stud’s 7/16” embedded thread length into the cylinder head equaling the 7/16”-high domed-nut.   

The tapped holes in the cylinder heads for all 8 studs measure close to 3/4" deep.

‘Burying’ the threaded studs into the cylinder head more than 7/16” deep will result in the tip of the stud not being flush with the highest point on the domed outer face. Your picture reflects that.

The Shop Manual calls out for only a 4-5 foot-pound torque reading on these nuts. I can’t think of a good reason for installing these studs deeper into the cylinder heads, longer studs, or shaving the height of the domed-nut. That identical nut has been used by Buick since 1925.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

My observations on 55-56 nailheads:

The nuts are not as tall as pictured.

The studs are screwed into the head with all the threads on the studs used; the stud protrudes from the nut 1/8 to 1/4 inch when assembled.

The studs for the sparkplug covers require sealer since many will penetrate the water jacket.

The late 55 and all 56 engines used bolts with domed heads for the valve covers and these are sometimes different lengths to account for the sparkplug wire bracket at the rear (if the long one is used in the front it will bottom out in the head before getting tight).

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 8:08 AM, 1953mack said:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

This is how I remember it when I rebuilt my heads.