WARNING WARNING SCAM

Well it seems the scammers have got a whole lot smarter, first they are scoping the wanted ads "on this site" then going deep into the net to borrow (hard to find) photos and will even talk to you on the phone, but the one thing they will not do is send you  the( fork next the part) photo to verify they have such part, whew I almost got taken and the prices were "not" too good to be true and the scammer was from the states, New Orleans area and knew a thing or two about cars, never get too excited about a rare find without triple checking and don't get frustrated when selling when someone checks you out.

Some are very good I got scammed out of money for a large parts lot.  The scam was so good, (I can usually spot them from a mile away)  That I'm still expecting the parts to show up and that was over a year ago.  Same deal.  Seller from the states,  all the info provided checked out etc. etc.  

I'm sure it was an Alias but if anyone ever gets a call from a Mike Gerber in the Hayward CA area and it's anything to do with Chevy parts (which he seems to know intimately)  Be very very Cautious.   AKA run like the wind. 

The best policy to use if you advertise on this site is quite simple. Never do business with anybody who responds to your ad here unless they have a history of posts on this site over some period of time and send you a PM through the site. If you get someone who sends you a message and they have zero posts on this site, they are a scammer. If you post your email address publicly in an ad, anybody on the internet can see your email address and communicate with you. That is almost asking for a scammer to email you. You should also take similar precautions if using any other automotive forum on the web. 

If you receive a PM from a scammer with zero posts, simply click the report button so the moderators can deal with the scammer.

Mine was through a Word ad in a national trader looking to buy literature lots.  Hard to screen respondents to word ad other than check out their location, phone number, see if their story has any loop holes.  I talked to this guy several times and checked everything out from the story of his Grandpa's closed dealer location to everything.  It all checked out.   He knew the area and it's history as well.  Even proposed another deal while the stuff was suppose to be in transit after he received my money and I told him I was interested in that as well,  but he never followed up on that.  My wife is quite shrewd as well and he talked with her on more than one occasion and she swore it sounded 100 percent legit.  

hello everybody, I got a pm from a tom reed,  Allen, Texas 75002, saying he had the parts I needed.  had his email, asked for mine, and I did give him my phone number.  his username is reeds.  he had no posts and just joined 5 hrs before this pm.  I have bought a set of tires for my Erskine from a fellow on here, great transaction, dad met him at a truck stop in alberta to bring them home for me.  ( dad is a trucker) I also bought a close to proper schebler carb from a fellow in eastern states, another great transaction.  this scam stuff sure makes a person nervous though!

I report them to FBI cyber division first then try to get more info to get them arrested. There was a guy pedaling a 56 Imperial Limo i asked for copy of title he sends an altered one showing a 55 which tge photos showed a 55 .asking $4,800 with free shipping! Dah.. Had a woman from Texas who had 2 Imperials her father left her but she had years and models wrong.. oh and the very nice 67 Eldo for $1800. 

Could there be better vetting and ways those posting or answering need to prove who they are? 

1 hour ago, automaschinewerks said:

hello everybody, I got a pm from a tom reed,  Allen, Texas 75002, saying he had the parts I needed.  had his email, asked for mine, and I did give him my phone number.  his username is reeds.  he had no posts and just joined 5 hrs before this pm.  I have bought a set of tires for my Erskine from a fellow on here, great transaction, dad met him at a truck stop in alberta to bring them home for me.  ( dad is a trucker) I also bought a close to proper schebler carb from a fellow in eastern states, another great transaction.  this scam stuff sure makes a person nervous though!

Reeds has been banned from the forum based on your post here. Please remember to hit the report button on scam PMs so the moderators can see the reported PM and take quick action to remove the scammer.

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Reeds has been banned from the forum based on your post here. Please remember to hit the report button on scam PMs so the moderators can see the reported PM and take quick action to remove the scammer.

Yup this is the same guy but he was supposedly from Metaire, LA, same name though, so he did join the forum, good thing he's banned.

Awww man!   I was working on a deal with Reed to get some parts for my Thunderbird!!!  He had just what I wanted.  LOL  I just looked at the time he joined and the time he messaged me and said that he is scamming.  Wish there was a way to fry their computer when you ban them! 

Yes, Reed contacted me too.  I asked him for pictures of part, it's unusual so there are no images available on Internet, never heard back from him.  Other option is to ask for picture of part with a current newspaper laid next to or underneath it.  Again, if image not available to them to send you,  you shut them down pretty quickly.

I found a set of hub caps on a CL ad and was also on Ebay at the same time.

For some reason I was nervous about this deal so I asked him to buy a current newspaper and post those nice caps near that date on the Newspaper.

Turned out to be a good deal.

034.jpg

It sounds like COD mailing (Cash on Delivery)

would satisfy both buyer and seller that they're

being protected.  The cash changes hands upon

delivery of the package.  

Even better, deal in person and see what you're buying.

Because of this big advantage, swap meets should never

be superseded by on-line buying!

what does the amount of post on site a person has have to do with how honest a person is?  newbees have to start somewhere (just like a first time bank loan)-if you paypal a person you don't need to be concerned about getting scammed because paypal will give you your money back if you don't get your item

• Like 1

yes filbily, that's 100% right about paypal.  that would be safe, I guess the worst with the scam is if you send a bank draft or do the email transfer thing.  I had to get a paypal refund for an owners manual for Erskine I bought on ebay last fall when I started out with my '29.  I have bought parts all over the states on ebay, and my owners manual with lubrication chart and paper envelope for my '26 standard six came from Australia.  every purchase has been honest and came through except my Erskine manual, which the guy was from Ontario where I live, my closest purchase on ebay. go figure!  my tires and carb I bought from people on here, had pictures, I emailed the money and got my carb. 100% honest people. and yes everybody has to start somewhere, which is why I didn't report the message I got about reeds until 4 days later when I read this post about scammers.

on that note it is good when people in any hobby stick together like in this forum!

2 hours ago, filbily said:

what does the amount of post on site a person has have to do with how honest a person is?  newbees have to start somewhere (just like a first time bank loan)-if you paypal a person you don't need to be concerned about getting scammed because paypal will give you your money back if you don't get your item

It is really simple...

If someone registers on the forum and immediately sends you a PM, you have no idea who it is. It is likely to be a scammer. We have had a lot of scammers from Nigeria and similar places register and immediately start sending PMs trying to scam people. If someone who sends you a PM has posts on the forum, you can look at their history and see that they are legitimate antique car hobbyists who you are much more likely to find to be trustworthy. You are much less likely to be ripped off by someone who has been posting here for a year than someone with no history on the site. 

• Like 1

"reed911" almost got me too.Sent pictures of a '25 Buick 4 pass.coupe RF seat in a nice looking interior.Said he gave up on restoration and was parting out !

When inquiring about more parts,he sent more pictures,only of three different '25 Buick coupes.Actually talked on the phone with him.Said he was from Texas,but 702 area code is Nevada.I expected a Texas drawl,but he sounded East Indian ! My "spidy senses" had already kicked in when he said he was parting out a nice '25 coupe.