- Rear Bumper Guards

- Stainless Gravel Guards and Fuel Door Trim

- Fender Skirts

- Deep Dish Full Wheel Covers

- Wide Whitewall Radial Tires

- Bright Windshield and Belt Line Trim

- Dual Chrome Outside Mirrors

- Trunk Mat and Spare

For sale by owner. Car was purchased as-is from Mecum Auctions, stored inside and has not been used since. It was described by Mecum as having been started, but may need mechanical and fuel system maintenance since the car has not been driven. Being sold as-is, inspections are welcomed. Located in East Moline, IL. Please email tobey.moto.armory@gmail.com with any questions.

$34,900 OBO

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Edited by 53BuickSpecial (see edit history)

Interesting , first one I've seen since I bounght Ruby , can't say I like the colour scheme , prefer Ruby's all red, red /black trim. Wonder if car has been subject to full restoration or original with part restoration as engine bay doesn't look pristine and stated queries regarding possible mechanical issues . Still nice ' baby skylark' for fraction of the money. Good luck.

5 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Interesting , first one I've seen since I bounght Ruby , can't say I like the colour scheme , prefer Ruby's all red, red /black trim. Wonder if car has been subject to full restoration or original with part restoration as engine bay doesn't look pristine and stated queries regarding possible mechanical issues . Still nice ' baby skylark' for fraction of the money. Good luck.

Did Ruby, by chance, once live in Hanover, PA?  Used car dealer there, long passed away, had one of these in red as one of his collector cars.

• Like 1

Hi Dyna flash 

maybe , I bought from Chicago , last owner lived in Illinois and had car back in 2006 earliest receipt I have , but think may be earlier because that was for interior and  reckon beginning of Restoration must have been couple of years before.

photo attached.

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Hi Dyna flash 

maybe , I bought from Chicago , last owner lived in Illinois and had car back in 2006 earliest receipt I have , but think may be earlier because that was for interior and  reckon beginning of Restoration must have been couple of years before.

photo attached.

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

I red one I knew about belonged to Royce Emerson's brother.  The both of them ran a used car lot in Hanover, PA.  Royce lived many years longer than his brother, and for all I could may still be living.  Skip Boyer (Boyer's Buick Parts, Hanover) would know.

The car I knew about belonged to Royce Emerson's brother....I can't remember his name.  The Emerson Brother's ran a used car lot in Hanover, PA, and both were early members of the CHVA.  Royce ran the car lot for years after his brother died.  I don't know if Royce is still living, but Richard B. (Skip) Boyer would know that.  Skip is a major supplier of NOS Buick parts and makes plastic reproductions and redoes engine turning on 1940-1941 Buick dash panels.  I would think most people in the BCA know about Skip.  The brother brought the red convertible to CHVA shows in the Baltimore area from 1967 until his death.  It was a very nice car and looked exactly like yours, although I don't know if the interior was the same colors.

• Like 1

Dynaflash , very interesting. Could be same car depends when brother disposed of car , next owner or subsequent owners could have taken car to Illinois. When you saw car must have still been completely original in 1967 , the interior trim was done red / black on Ruby in 2006 , don't know if it was different before. Pity there's not one unique distinguishing item that would confirm same car.

Would love to know the actual history of the car , 64 years , if it could talk , sure be interesting. thinking of writing to Buick owners club to see if vin no is recorded and perhaps they could pass on my email address if there is a record . You probably have similar thoughts about your own cars particularly the 39s 

thanks for your post , reawoken  my quest.  Enjoy your day.

cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

I do know the history of both of the '39s.  I've probably forgotten the names of the previous owners now though.  I bought the blue car in 1963 and the yellow 4dr in 1970 the first time, and bought it back in 2000.  We're only the third owner of the 71 Riviera, but I don't remember the names of the other two....wish I'd kept that information.  Same on the 64 Wildcat, I'm the 4th owner.  Richard (Skip) Boyer was just a teenager when the red convertible was in Hanover, PA.  Bur, his Dad sold NOS Buick parts before him, and he knew the Emersons for sure.  He only lives a short distance from the old used car lot even now.  He is in the BCA.

On 7/8/2017 at 8:36 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. Special, can you verify the authenticity of

the 2-toned sides?  I've been of the understanding that

the only 1953 Buick 2-tones were contrasting paint

on a metal top--not available on convertibles, of course.

Thanks.

John: You are correct.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

You obviously were a early starter into classic cars , or was first purchase your daily driver then in 63 , I've always loved cars but didn't pass my test till 68 . First car 59 Vauxhall victor , not really classic ?

Early starter is right.  My parents had a 1939 Buick from the time I was 3 until I was 13.  My first car was a 1939 Buick exactly like the restored car in my picture.  That was in 1956.  I liked old cars before I could drive.  I bought another one in 1957 for $15 and sold it for $30 and bought another one in 1959 for $40 and sold in in 1961 for $100 and then I bought the one in the picture for $120 in 1963.  I restored it to be exactly like my first car, and did three restorations, the last completed in 1981 and it won an AACA Grand National Senior in 2000.  Now we just tour it and enjoy it.  It's showing a few signs of old age now but it still looks beautiful from 5 feet away.  I also have a 1939 Buick convertible sedan that I bought found in 1965, bought in 1970, sold in 1985 and repurchased in 2000.  All told I've had around 12 1939 Buicks and then many other collector cars, most of which were Buicks.  Currently I also have a 1964 Wildcat 2dr hardtop and my wife has a 1971 Buick Riviera.  I guess I've done just about everything I ever wanted to do in this hobby, including serving 15 years on the AACA National Board and serving as President in 2004.  I was in the first Buick Club and have been in the second one from almost the beginning.  I'm #55.

Dyna flash , that's some some great hobby history , interesting. I probably also became hooked early on as my dad always had 3/4 old cars from the 30s and 40 , rileys , Wolsey, Morris , standard and his favourite a Jowett javelin . I remember driving his Vauxhall velox around a field when I was about 12 . He also had a big temperamental ford v8 pilot which I liked, could fit all friends in. Myself I've always loved American cars and collected models early on. I've had a lot of common cars , but the ones I deem classic and wish I had kept , 1960 Vauxhall cresta , singer gazelle , 52 Austin A40 Somerset , triumph TR6, and V12 jaguar Xjs . Finally purchased my first American , last year and I love it. Learned much from this forum and my wish now is for a 40s buick convertible or a 59 Electra , got to get a move on I'm older 70 !

cheers, 

pilgrim 

Back to thread topic , does anyone know if treatment of top down cover is original , i.e. Did the cover on 53 convertible have poppers along the top of the rear seat ? mine doesn't and I  may adopt idea as the taut fitting is better than mine.

Interesting that there was another '53 convertible, that one a good running Super, for sale at the just completed BCA national meet in Wisconsin, with a red and white paint job, but the opposite of this car. The Super in Wisconsin had white below the sweep spear and red above it, and as noted above, that is not a correct paint scheme.  It was priced a little bit under this car's price. I would post a photo, but I just got home from the 1,000 mile drive from Wisconsin, and I am too tired to find and look through my 500+ photos of the meet.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

• Like 2

Impressed by you guys willingness to drive 1000miles for a car meet, perhaps we're not as committed as you Americans , as that would equate to me going to north Scotland for a meet from home in Hampshire ( south Uk) or someone from there coming to Hampshire doesn't happen unless part of a round Britain rally. However I might do it if I knew there would be hundreds of buicks or pre 60s American to view . ?

Well done Pete be interested to see that super sometime when your ready.

cheers

pilgrim 

• Like 1

Not to rob the topic, but here is the first of four '39 Buicks I have owned. That's about a 1963 picture. I was 14 at the time. I worked it off at the junkyard I still stop in. I had to hand dig a hole for a septic tank.

The Olds was mine, too. I bought that one for $30. I had been working since I was 11, but not hard work like digging that hole. I kind of stayed away from hard work the rest of my life after that digging experience.

1939-40.thumb.jpg.99ab2039dc095619e0a9adc64c12cae3.jpg

Those cars are sitting just about where my garage stands today. I am the fourth owner of our 1854 house. Only two families.

"38 Buicks are great cars. There used to be a lot of them around.

Bernie

• Like 3

Here is the one that was for sale at the national meet in Wisconsin. Again, not a correct two-toning, but the exact opposite of the one above! 1953 Super, V8. I believe she was asking low- to mid-30s, as in "thousands". Probably worth pretty close to that, but out of my league!

Pete Phillips

IMG_1078.JPG

• Thanks 1